Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We're not allowed to paint.

green hippo

Thought I would share with you something that an older sibling said to me today which made me sad and a bit mad!

She's in year 1 and was talking to her brother who's in Nursery. She said: "we're not allowed to paint in our class without the teacher helping us."

It seems like we give the children the independence and choice for it to be taken off them later on. I know that life is different in year 1 but it just seems like a backwards step. :-(

That's very sad, if it's taken literally. I wonder what the actual rules are? Has there been an 'incident' with children accessing the paint independently, and the teacher has said they mustn't get it out again without asking for help? Could be fairly innocuous, I hope it is!

On our childrens First Visit to School every June - (very exciting!) - they all have their hands painted FOR THEM, by the teacher, for a display for the Autumn Term!! No choice of colour even!! Hands pressed firmly down by Teacher! The only input they have is 'go and wash your hands'! Wow, now that was a fun learning experience, was'nt it!

Yes, it definitely depends on the teacher and the preferred practise by SMT.

They can only paint while at the table as they have no where else now. We expect our children to choose and mix their own paint colours and choose what and how they are going to paint.

Green Hippo x

Now you know the schools are bad places theme makes me a bit cross!!! ;):ph34r:

I know many a lovely school who work really hard to make transitions work well and who are committed to delivering the best EYFS they can - sometimes in the face of the type of leadership opposition that you have no idea about until you actually experience it.

Whilst not condoning the approach and understanding the frustration I would also share, Art is one of many a national curriculum subject and as such will probably be a timetabled event not a free flow activity in a busy and overloaded Yr1 curriculum.Teachers are struggling with how the children will be now assessed and the raised thresholds for all year groups. I guess painting is not very high on their agenda right now to be honest.

Cx

• Like 4

Now you know the schools are bad places theme makes me a bit cross!!! ;):ph34r:

I know many a lovely school who work really hard to make transitions work well and who are committed to delivering the best EYFS they can - sometimes in the face of the type of leadership opposition that you have no idea about until you actually experience it.

Whilst not condoning the approach and understanding the frustration I would also share, Art is one of many a national curriculum subject and as such will probably be a timetabled event not a free flow activity in a busy and overloaded Yr1 curriculum.Teachers are struggling with how the children will be now assessed and the raised thresholds for all year groups. I guess painting is not very high on their agenda right now to be honest.

Cx

Absolutely Catma! The curriculum is so packed that all the work that went on to put continuous provision into year 1 seems to have to be lost in many cases. As music co-ordinator in our school, I have the same worries as the p.e., art and d&t co-ordinator that it's just so hard to fit them in, it often doesn't get done.

I'm not having a go at teachers or schools just the general way things seem to be going. Didn't intend to offend (Catma & Froglet).

Sorry :unsure:

No offence taken by me either! It was just nice to read Catma's post in a week where I have lost sleep (a lot), cried lots and felt totally defeated simply because I cannot get my Y2s (or 1s for that matter) to understand what an array is and I don't feel like there is enough time between now and submission of assessment deadlines. The morning I gave over to making Mother's day cards (not fluffy duck I hasten to say) was lovely, a much needed restorative break but felt like a guilty pleasure!

• Like 2

No offence taken by me either! It was just nice to read Catma's post in a week where I have lost sleep (a lot), cried lots and felt totally defeated simply because I cannot get my Y2s (or 1s for that matter) to understand what an array is and I don't feel like there is enough time between now and submission of assessment deadlines. The morning I gave over to making Mother's day cards (not fluffy duck I hasten to say) was lovely, a much needed restorative break but felt like a guilty pleasure!

Nearly Easter!!

• Like 1