Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy Waste!

JJA

Lovely Topic first thing in a morning...

I have just changed waste collections as our local council now provide weekly collections for trade waste so they're more competitively priced and I trust their record on recycling (unlike the guys we were using were everything went in one bin - never thought that was Kosher!)

Anyway, signed my contract with him yesterday and he noted that I also used a Medical Waste company to take away nappies. He said that I don't have to do this - nappies are considered 'offensive' but not 'hazardous' (made me giggle!) and as such can go in our general waste.

Question: What do you do at your setting??

Ours go in the normal trade waste. We put soiled nappies in a nappy sack, then we use a Sangenic bin which seals each nappy, then when we empty the bin the whole nappy wrapper holding all the sealed nappies goes in a bin bag. So our nappies are triple wrapped and consequently we get no smell. I checked with our council and they told me the same as you - nappies are not considered medical waste.

xD We have discussed this sooooo many times on this forum - a search should take you these threads - I'm laughing because one of lovely forum members (I will mention no names ;) ) takes her children's nappies into a well known supermarket and pops them in the unit in their baby changing room! :rolleyes: xD

• Like 2

We send them home - because we thought they could not go into the normal waste. Positive thing is it should remind parents to replenish their nappy stock - in theory!!! ;) Negative thing - cloakroom is not a pleasant place on a 'productive' day no matter how many bags you use. :blink: The loss of free carriers means we are now having to buy them from cash and carry.

Note to self - investigate price of nappy storage systems or even ask parents for ones no longer used? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Damn it!! We have had a separate waste collection for many years and i have just signed a new contract to start in February 2016 for 2 years for a slightly cheaper contract but i could have just not bothered after hearing this. :( :( :(

But thank you for the information.

xD We have discussed this sooooo many times on this forum - a search should take you these threads - I'm laughing because one of lovely forum members (I will mention no names ;) ) takes her children's nappies into a well known supermarket and pops them in the unit in their baby changing room! :rolleyes: xD

Sunnyday, I thought that was you! Good job I didn't dob you in! :D

• Like 1

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 5

That's interesting. We have always been told by our 'landlords' (we hire our hall each morning) that we're not to put nappies in the general waste bin, so I moaned at them that they needed to provide a waste collection solution instead, which they did, but are now complaining at the cost. Will investigate further...

That's interesting. We have always been told by our 'landlords' (we hire our hall each morning) that we're not to put nappies in the general waste bin, so I moaned at them that they needed to provide a waste collection solution instead, which they did, but are now complaining at the cost. Will investigate further...

Strange you should say this because we used to hire a room in a Community Hall and it was that Committee that told us not to put nappies in the communal waste bin! Well it was a local Councillor associated with this committee infact that brought it up and resulted in us using another service we had to pay for just for nappies!

Ours go in the normal trade waste. We put soiled nappies in a nappy sack, then we use a Sangenic bin which seals each nappy, then when we empty the bin the whole nappy wrapper holding all the sealed nappies goes in a bin bag. So our nappies are triple wrapped and consequently we get no smell. I checked with our council and they told me the same as you - nappies are not considered medical waste.

we do this too! no issues with EHO

• 1 month later...