Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hot off the press!

I doesn't surprise me a jot that the DfE doesn't understand the cost of childcare when the "call for evidence" question was so broad - having said that those of us that answered the follow up email from Deloitte provided plenty of detail regarding income, expenditure, occupancy rates will a quite detailed breakdown of costs- so either they don't understand the auditor's response or don't want to me thinks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I agree SueJ, they should have requested more specific information in order to compare different types of settings, areas etc. We are all unique with different set ups and accounting systems, many of which are carried out by unqualified volunteers (who generally do a wonderful job!).

• Like 2

Except in point 26 'complying with rations requirements' - did make me chuckle. Had visions of adults tucking into chocolate biscuits!!!

Can I just point out that I do realise that rations can refer to other things than food 'a fixed quantity allowed to one person'. :ph34r:

I am a visual learner. ;) B)

I may be getting TOO cynical in my old age but does anyone now read these documents and try to work out where they are going with the info...as others have said I was trying to sort out how they were going to get round these issues without paying us more......so changing ratios is one way (fits in with the French model!!!!) giving tax breaks to parents (fits in with their policies) providing cheaper training? (this is what had to happen in nursing I think isn't it...in order to ensure they had higher trained staff)....so still no extra money then just more work and more changes.....or we all get 'affiliated' to a school so that we can run on 1-13 !

Ratios rears it's ugly head once again I fear. Let's face it they weren't best pleased it was met with revolt last time were they.

I think your so right about the school thought Finleysmaid, but how many schools could truly take this on board, or more importantly want to.

Ratios rears it's ugly head once again I fear. Let's face it they weren't best pleased it was met with revolt last time were they.

I think your so right about the school thought Finleysmaid, but how many schools could truly take this on board, or more importantly want to.

I think they may not have a choice...I suspect within a few short years schools will be open all year from 7-6 otherwise the government will be unable to provide for the pensions.

Well I've had a look and

"The need that the early education and childcare provision delivered through the entitlement is of sufficient quality.​"

Sufficient quality - not the same as high quality

"The need to secure value for money for the taxpayer, and for the entitlement to be affordable to the public purse."

Nothing in that statement about the need for the provider to be paid a sustainable rate and stop subsidising the current funding levels

"What do the most efficient provider organisations do to control costs? Are these things that Government should be expecting from the whole sector? How can we incentivise this behaviour from providers?​"

Well given that wages (as they can see from their own call for evidence analysis) is a providers largest cost it doesn't take a genius to work out that we already control costs by paying what we can to our staff within our already constrained budgets! A couple of ways of controlling those costs is dare I say obvious - employ only under 25s who won't qualify for the living wage and work to minimum ratios - after all warehousing children is surely "sufficient quality" - as for incentivisation well - just keep the funding rates low !!

As for

"Are there things that Government currently does which increase provider costs?"

How about waste our time on all these consultations that go nowhere, get nothing done and end up with ministers on jollies to France/Denmark/Anywhere else in the world but their own backyard to see how it can be done.

Here endeth the Saturday morning rant - now where was that life I needed to live?

• Like 5

Well I've had a look and

"The need that the early education and childcare provision delivered through the entitlement is of sufficient quality.​"

Sufficient quality - not the same as high quality

"The need to secure value for money for the taxpayer, and for the entitlement to be affordable to the public purse."

Nothing in that statement about the need for the provider to be paid a sustainable rate and stop subsidising the current funding levels

"What do the most efficient provider organisations do to control costs? Are these things that Government should be expecting from the whole sector? How can we incentivise this behaviour from providers?​"

Well given that wages (as they can see from their own call for evidence analysis) is a providers largest cost it doesn't take a genius to work out that we already control costs by paying what we can to our staff within our already constrained budgets! A couple of ways of controlling those costs is dare I say obvious - employ only under 25s who won't qualify for the living wage and work to minimum ratios - after all warehousing children is surely "sufficient quality" - as for incentivisation well - just keep the funding rates low !!

As for

"Are there things that Government currently does which increase provider costs?"

How about waste our time on all these consultations that go nowhere, get nothing done and end up with ministers on jollies to France/Denmark/Anywhere else in the world but their own backyard to see how it can be done.

Here endeth the Saturday morning rant - now where was that life I needed to live?

Sue J - bang on the money as usual. Love it, love it, love it.

• Like 2