Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Back in the saddle again!

sunnyday

First day back with children yesterday , no outside play due to landscaping of garden but 7 newbies so far and yesterday's settled really well , today not as well but still good . Staff meeting today too and anaphylaxis training on Thursday . All our leavers start their first day at big school tomorrow

• Like 1

Why are schools allowed to take so long to start the reception children? Surely the children are entitled to the hours. Schools here opened on the 3rd Sept. I spoke to someone and her child is not starting reception until 14 Sept and then it's part time. He has been at full time nursery for over a year.

Why are schools allowed to take so long to start the reception children? Surely the children are entitled to the hours. Schools here opened on the 3rd Sept. I spoke to someone and her child is not starting reception until 14 Sept and then it's part time. He has been at full time nursery for over a year.

Yes agree Isp, another 'one rule for schools and one for us'.

Don't think the funding monitor would look kindly on us staggering children to that extent. When I took a couple of two year ols for just 2 hours for first two weeks to settle them in I had to 'pretty plead' to keep the funding - she wanted to deduct the hours they didnt cry for!!

Grrrrrrrrrrr! Like to see them do our job eh?

• Like 1

Good thinking Batman - sorry finleysmaid........hmmm wouldn't work with my twins though....... :1b

no...nor for mine....only exception to the rule!

give me lots of time to settle the children and the parents (more to the point!!!!) spent 2 and half hours with this mornings parents!!!!

• Like 1

Dear me - I spoke too soon :( two 'screamers' this morning - that's what it was too screaming - no tears - lots of noise and anger...

I had one yesterday, no tears, just screaming because he'd been left behind. An hour in, he was changing his mind, and by the time he went home we had had a few giggles out of him, so quietly pleased in the end. He's one of my key children, so do hope he settles quicker as the week goes on!!

I had one yesterday, no tears, just screaming because he'd been left behind. An hour in, he was changing his mind, and by the time he went home we had had a few giggles out of him, so quietly pleased in the end. He's one of my key children, so do hope he settles quicker as the week goes on!!

Yes mine 'gave it up' after 30 minutes - thank goodness - both impossible to comfort because it was just pure anger at the great injustice of being left at pre-school..........

• Like 2

Still staggering my intake so it's the older ones still coming on stream this week - next week will probably be a different matter !!

1 x livewire today - just a cheeky chappy - although some of my returners thought they could pick up on some of his less attractive behaviours - obviously no inch giving will be permitted !!

• Like 3

So an interesting first 4 days - most children have been fine although today with them being tired I had 5 I needed to pry off parents.

Second morning a mum came in and told me that her child had gone home and said I'd hit her! Mum laughing and didn't believe her at all but we still had to go through official procedure.

One little one who keeps giving me a heart attack as he lines up with the Y6 at dinner and I lose him. Then today had a hysterical little one who'd got stung by a bee on his ear!

Ready for a rest!

• Like 1

So an interesting first 4 days - most children have been fine although today with them being tired I had 5 I needed to pry off parents.

Second morning a mum came in and told me that her child had gone home and said I'd hit her! Mum laughing and didn't believe her at all but we still had to go through official procedure.

One little one who keeps giving me a heart attack as he lines up with the Y6 at dinner and I lose him. Then today had a hysterical little one who'd got stung by a bee on his ear!

Ready for a rest!

I bet you are - that all sounds a bit too much to me! :wacko:

Yesterday and today went really well - I do have some lovely children this year :1b

• Like 1

Well, not quite sure where this first week has gone! We have had quite a calm week!

Mmmm, us too, can't help but think 'calm before the storm' as we still have another 6 children to join us! :P

Since the introduction of the school nursery system our children are now so young as most were only 2yrs old within the last 2/3 months but we've had a lovely little boy join us who will be 3 in early October - my what a difference, an absolute joy! It gave us all a 'blast from the past' and made us realise just how tough our job has got over the last 5/6 years :blink:

• Like 4

We have also had a few older ones join this year due to not be able to get in before and they are a breath of fresh air amongst all the just turned 2's, I was telling my advisor this week that I was seriously thinking of upping our minimum age again ....she wasn't impressed, but to be honest we don't need them, I explained that it was impacting on being able to give the 3/4 yr olds their 15hrs, then she listened and took notes :-)

Do any of you operate a catchment area like schools ?

• Like 2

No not a catchment Mousie, can't afford to, but I do stick to my guns about being 2 and a half years old when they start. They, of course bring some much needed "cash" into the nursery because I charge more for them than the funding. However, only got one at the moment and have had 4 funded ones turn up this week for which we won't get any money until after half term :(:( things are very tight :wacko:

we only take from 2.5 thank goodness! can't afford to take then before that....they use twice as many staff so should be twice the price IMO! but that would price me out....we have several funded two year olds this year booked in....one at the bequest of an intensive family worker but she wouldn't give me any details as to why, so goodness only know what that means :blink:

We do have catchment area as part of our admissions policy if we need to apply it, in fact we have just changed it to fall in line with the borough, this in effect means that children in our own borough are selected before those out of our lea. I have done this for several reasons.....but mainly because I am fed up with getting no information from anyone and no support even though it is often that borough's children who need the most support <_< perhaps they need to sort out their own nurseries before they pass them on to me!

Of course mouseketeer they are going to advise us to take the 2 year olds because they have targets that they have to hit doled out by the government.....they aren't the ones dealing with the lack of income or the issues that arise around this policy though

• Like 2

That's tough panders :(

I am totally fed of these parents turning up with their b***y 'golden tickets' as they are called in my county and expect their children to start straight away, they don't get 'I don't have any 2 year old places available'

Exactly finleysmaid...who wants 4 x 2yr olds for £20.00, when I can have have 8x 3yr olds for £32.00 for same outgoing cost ...we are all mad, this needs some serious thought, I'm thinking a catchment criteria as we are right on the county border and so many want places because preschool attached to their school only takes from 3yr and local nursery parents don't seem happy with, so we do all the hard 2-3yr work for their own preschool to get nicely rounded, toilet trained children as they migrate back :/

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

No not a catchment Mousie, can't afford to, but I do stick to my guns about being 2 and a half years old when they start. They, of course bring some much needed "cash" into the nursery because I charge more for them than the funding. However, only got one at the moment and have had 4 funded ones turn up this week for which we won't get any money until after half term :(:( things are very tight :wacko:

as the lea has been paid already for this years funding perhaps you could apply for your funding early.....tell the finance dept how hard things are and see if they can make an emergency payment? sounds like they need you to supply these spaces so then surely they can pay for them.

• Like 3

Of course mouseketeer they are going to advise us to take the 2 year olds because they have targets that they have to hit doled out by the government.....they aren't the ones dealing with the lack of income or the issues that arise around this policy though

Abso-jolly-lutely!

2.5 for me and I will not shift from this position - my setting is just not suitable for younger children.....

I have said before that I am currently thinking about a 'big change' from Sept. '16 - in short a change to my opening pattern and taking from age 3 only - think I might 'get away with it' :ph34r::D

• Like 4

We take from term after 2nd birthday. We dropped down from 2 1/2 when 2 year funding came in. We have dropped down the number of places for 2 year olds this year due to the impact on the whole group last year and meeting the needs of the older children. Unfortunately it may have to change again when numbers of old children drop, in order to remain sustainable.

Ooh that's unfair! Our county split the payment so we get half in the first fortnight or so, and the balance and any adjustments after half term.

Well I had to estimate how many hours back in July, and half the payment for that estimate came into my bank account the week before terms started, next lot not due until after half term

May well take that advice from Finleysmaid and see if LA will cough up a little more in an emergency - nothing to lose!

• Like 3

We take from term after 2nd birthday. We dropped down from 2 1/2 when 2 year funding came in. We have dropped down the number of places for 2 year olds this year due to the impact on the whole group last year and meeting the needs of the older children. Unfortunately it may have to change again when numbers of old children drop, in order to remain sustainable.

That's what has happened over the years at our pre-school

It used to be 3 years

then 2.5yrs

now because most are entering school nursery the day they are 3yrs we have to take them the day they are 2yrs.

Unfortunately 1 of our feeder schools has now started taking 2yr olds only a few but it will grow and this will make the others follow suit as soon as they can find the space to do so :(