Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shaving foam: good or bad?

Rea

Hi everyone, long time no speak. :1b

I've almost completely switched off from Early Years, I dont have any enthusiasm anymore, which is kind of sad but as I've been mostly at the admin side for the last year, I'm not going to blame me! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, here's to it...

I've got a quick question I know you'll be able to help with; has anyone come across any reasons for not using shaving foam and if so was it any particular type?

Our EY advisor has encouraged the manager to remove it from use due to potential allergy risks! I need to be able to back the staff with anything you've got, good or bad I guess.

Edited by Rea

Oh Dear, We have used a child's foam rather than shaving foam. You can get if from Tesco's bath section where the children's products are, works extremely well and we have had no reactions.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=283770478

Obviously the children are supervised the whole time this is in use.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 4

Must admit I have wondered about it. We do use but are careful with children with asthma or eczema offering them gloves, using zippy bags or putting clingfilm on top of a tray. Staff normally spray it out before children come in. On my list now to check out again before we use again!!!!

• Like 2

we had an issue with this during the last term - a child had some on their hands and then licked it - we contacted NHS direct we explained it to them -they advised that we shouldn't be using it due to the fumes it gave off as well as the risk of children eating it - that is the first time ever we have had a problem using it. Think will use the bath foam from now on .

Edited by blondie
  • Like 1

personally I don't have a problem with it...it is soap so needs to be handled with care in terms of eyes etc. and I have had a child throw up on me because of the smell (hypersensitive child!!) like all soap products I monitor use when children have skin conditions...but does this then need to mean a complete ban?????

like all things if it works for your cohort then fine!

I also use soap flakes/bubbles/soap for icebergs/shampoos/conditioner etc etc etc all are soap products and are made up of the same basic ingredients

call me a rebel!!!!! :ph34r:

• Like 4

thought i'd go and do a bit of research on this!.....most (not all!) of the children soap products are made from exactly the same ingredients as the childrens foam product!......panders one is paraben free however! (however is also £2 rather than 26p per can!)

• Like 1

i will still be using it too - the phone call was made by an over anxious member of staff - i would have just let the child have a drink of water and kept an eye on her for a while to make sure she wasn't sick and told mum at the end of the session.

as previously said its just making sure we supervise, and yes things will happen but as long as we are aware and know how to deal with it that shouldnt stop the fun

• Like 1

I will still use it as our children love it and get so much out of exploring with it. I have a risk assessment filed away for this in a folder just to tick a box, but lets face it, we all use our common sense each time this activity is provided and who too.

• Like 2

I think this comes about because it is mentioned in ITERS as not being an appropriate 'art' material for young children. I believe from my training the reason given is that the can will say 'keep out of reach of children' however I, like most of us with a modicum of common sense would appreciate that this is the can itself that we would keep out of reach (you may find the same on toothpaste), not the content.

As everyone else has said, check for allergies. I am pretty much allergic to anything with a perfume, which includes most soaps, foams etc,but I am also a bit of a rarity!

So enjoy your shaving foam, just be aware of allergies and have alternatives.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone :1b

I'd let them use it, but I'm going to suggest they use childrens' foam outdoors under supervision and with a COHSS sheet to hand.

:rolleyes: :D

You're all fabulous :wub:

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I have used it in a variety of ways but if health and safety comes in to it then spray it in trays or on a table and then cover it in clingfilm. All aspects covered and the children that refuse to participate because of the feel will do so. Problem solved unless of course they eat the clingfilm!