Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Bill re 30 hours

No I haven't seen it.......my LA seem to be very 'quiet' this summer - haven't received anything from them - not that I'm complaining! :D

Do I need to take a look - I have no intention of providing 30 hours at my setting - free or otherwise :ph34r:

• Like 4

My LA had a strategy plan we all had to fill in before end of July to say what our capacity is, our working capacity and if we don't already can we increase our hours to 30 p/w if not why not. Oooffff I got my frustration in on this nearly a full letter wrote in response ? x

• Like 4

I received an email yesterday which briefly mentioned the 30 hours. It had the eligibility information which indicates that it's for parents that are working. Does anyone know if thus is correct or am I understanding it wrong??

I received an email yesterday which briefly mentioned the 30 hours. It had the eligibility information which indicates that it's for parents that are working. Does anyone know if thus is correct or am I understanding it wrong??

It looks very much like it is what we thought: Working parent(s) - 8 hrs minimum pw - and on minimum wage!= 30 hrs free

We worked out that we had 12 working Mums last term - none of them, I would guess, on just minimum wage (only us ha ha) so couldnt see there being a place for it at our setting - though like Sunnyday, had no plans to increase hours - whatever! :)

Still feel its NOT what most voters imagined - The Career Mums dont look like they get anything more than the 15 free hours - and they're not free are they - they cost us a fair few bob........

• Like 4

No there's always been the working parent stipulation I think. I heard they had to be working a minimum of 8 hours but didn't know about the minimum wage bit.

So if a parent is working 8 hours a week on the minimum wage, they'll be entitled to 30 hours free?

I presume it actually means paid at or above minimum wage, but have to say that's not how it is worded!

Yes, thats what I would have thought, but there is definately not an 'or above' and I wonder if this will be away of 'controlling' it.

When this policy was first announced - as a vote catcher - it cetainly sounded as though it was very EVERY working parent.

Obviously the cost and the response from the PVI sector has meant a re think before they could go ahead it with it.... and maybe this is it???

I think this 'minimum wage' stipulation will be open to abuse by employees and employers...'you pay me/I'll pay you a quid or so less and hour so the £4'ish an hour extra child care hours can be claimed.....or maybe I'm just getting more cynical ;-p And what will happen when it's 'living wage'

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

I forgot that I know that only children of working parents get the 30 hours...

I presume it actually means paid at or above minimum wage, but have to say that's not how it is worded!

It can't mean that, because everyone is paid at or above minimum wage.

This is what I found in the draft of the Childcare Bill of July:

The conditions for eligibility will include:

• working parents with children aged three and four;

• parents working part-time or full-time – each parent must be working the equivalent of 8 hours per week at the national minimum wage;

• parents who are employed or who are self-employed; and lone parents who are working the equivalent of 8 hours per week at the national minimum wage to support their families.

With all the 'rules' probably find out that only a tiny percentage will actually be entitled to anything!!! Sunnyday - I think there was something about providers being legally responsible for checking entitlement. Hey - we could fill up the prisons - another headache for government!!

• Like 2

Added to all of that - I think somewhere along the line I picked up that 'we' would be responsible for checking that parents qualify - or was that just a (very bad) dream........

It was just a 'vote catcher' in my humble :(

Definately a Vote Catcher!

And no doubt its going to be as random as trying to claim the bloomin EYPP!

• Like 2

My LA had a strategy plan we all had to fill in before end of July to say what our capacity is, our working capacity and if we don't already can we increase our hours to 30 p/w if not why not. Oooffff I got my frustration in on this nearly a full letter wrote in response x

What county are you Foreveryoung - maybe its a pilot area for Sept 16 ;)

Oh crap!!!! Never thought of that ? we have always been pilots for as long as I can remember and thought we might be this time but was just a passing thought, but it looks even more likely doesn't it. We had to fill out a form explaining our numbers / availability / ways to increase availability and so on ready for 30 hours.

I'm just going to hope and pray that there just on ball for 2017 ! And it's no other reason lol

I'm South Yorkshire xx

• Like 4

We haven't had a letter or email, other than those we would normally get. Obviously South Yorkshire are very special lolx. Enjoy!

On another note - Morton Michel the insurance people have got a questionnaire/survey around offering 30 hours on their website - did get an email from them.

On another note - Morton Michel the insurance people have got a questionnaire/survey around offering 30 hours on their website - did get an email from them.

Oh yes so did I - didn't do anything about it though - s'pose i should really :blink:

Oh crap!!!! Never thought of that we have always been pilots for as long as I can remember and thought we might be this time but was just a passing thought, but it looks even more likely doesn't it. We had to fill out a form explaining our numbers / availability / ways to increase availability and so on ready for 30 hours.

I'm just going to hope and pray that there just on ball for 2017 ! And it's no other reason lol

I'm South Yorkshire xx

Did you feel that you were 'expected' to find a way to increase to hours?

We haven't had a letter or email, other than those we would normally get. Obviously South Yorkshire are very special lolx. Enjoy!

Deleted - whoops!