Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bake Off 2015

Froglet

Well mundia, in my option it used to be a far far superior programme when on BB2, and it has to be said it has turned more 'reality type' hyped up now it's on BBC1. (and if I'm honest all the latest advertising gumpf is really getting on my nerves :huh: )

I still love it though :D:D:D:D

• Like 1

I agree Louby loo and I can see me giving up on it if it continues that way. Mundia, the reason I first started watching (and the bit I still like) truly was the baking and the little historical bits they did. I often found myself trying things at home because I'd seen them on Bake Off. There really is nothing quite like a homemade English muffin! I used to genuinely feel it really was for good amateur bakers. Now there are aspects that are just too fancy. I still think that bread week should involve making a good, plain loaf of ordinary bread (just like I'm about to do now! ;)) If you can't do that I don't much care if you can make triple glazed, upside down cinnamon twists inspired by your travels to the further most reaches of the moon!

Yes, I agree a bit there, it was better on Beeb 2. I don't like the additional hype that goes on and the nastiness that ensues - thinking 'bin gate' or whatever it was called, last year. There are loads of very horrid things said on social media about the contestants every year, and that really spoils it for me. However, I really like Mel and Sue and the lightness and happiness they bring to the show. Interesting to see the very different bakes that go on, and to learn about other countries. I hope there will be a good gluten free challenge this year!

I like the Master Classes that come on after the show has ended its run, and I quite liked the companion show too last time. I would love to see how the show is actually made before all the editing, I also like the fact that the person that wins isn't necessarily the one that has shown promise all through, but can be a bit of an outsider, but maybe that is manipulated a bit by the way the t.v. show is put together.

Still cant forgive PH for his misdemeanors though! n- Guess I'm just bitter twisted

• Like 1

I think it's gone off the rails a bit too. It has tinges of Big Brother about it and the overly elaborate 'show stoppers' I find a bit silly. But I love most of the baking and like the contestants who you don't expect to do well, like Martha the teenager last year. Hmmm, Mr H? A bit too smooth and orange for my tastes! xD

• Like 1

I do enjoy it, but can take it or leave it. It has changed as contestants now know what is expected and what has gone before so I find it a bit too much of 'we must be bigger or more elaborate this year'

That said I found Junior Bake Off with Mary and James Martin by accident one year.. and really enjoyed that.. it was amazing how much they would have a go at..James had them all making crumpets and some really complicated bakes.. He was really good with them and helped with tips if they really needed it .

I do love to bake but tend not to as it is too tempting to eat it all .. better for us that I watch others and save our sugar free diet.....

• Like 1

I do love to bake but tend not to as it is too tempting to eat it all .. better for us that I watch others and save our sugar free diet.....

So much my problem - usually I take in to school (they all say they're going to lose weight when I leave at Christmas!) but the holidays are a problem! Yesterday I made cherry and chocolate chip cookies. Today it's a proper loaf of bread for a picnic with my mum when she comes in to school to help me sort my shed out tomorrow. Which reminds me I must go and knead it!

• Like 1

Ahem - you shouldn't even be thinking about him now - he's mine - young Froglet gave him to me! xD

Now then Sunnyday, you've been here long enough now to know that we like to share! Do I have to get the timer out? or can you let your friends have a turn

• Like 3

I'm in the 'not fussed about PH' camp too.

Rather than just see Mary and Paul having a taste of a completed bake, I'd like to see them completing it in the same time as the contestants, so we can watch technique etc and learn as we go along. The contestants would have something to judge theirs against too.

• Like 3

Watched it properly for first time last night. My daughter loves it and makes lovely cakes!!! Don't get all the extended close ups of exaggerated facial expressions. Just me though.

Sooooooo who is going to win????

Shock, Horror! Dodgy betting in Ipswich on the winner - anyone on here have any inside information??????? :o:o:ph34r:

Well my daughter was waffling on yesterday about the winner, and how unfair it was that one on the contestants was more or less a professional cook anyway and it was obvious they would win. I did look them up and I'm not sharing the name as I don't want to spoil it for anyone on here.

• Like 2

I don't want to know! I wasn't really surprised that Stu went last night. Right now I have just looked up the recipe for that walnut cake and am contemplating whether I can half/quarter it to make fairy cake equivalents - less to eat! I do wish I could do chocolate work like some of them can though - just lovely!

• Like 1

Oh noooooo - that's naughty I don't want to know either (sorry waffling now - I mean I don't want to know the supposed winner).......

Mind you I seem to remember there were all sorts of rumours last year which were completely wrong.......

I'm not much of a cake eater - but I really fancied a slice of Black Forest gateaux last night! :D

Felt so sorry for the 'mudslide' lady - was willing her not to get too upset poor love..........

• Like 3

So are you willing to share the recipe? I'll have a go at gluten free version!

I just quartered Mary's recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/marys_frosted_walnut_15679

Baked for 20-25 minutes (they stayed quite pale but are definitely cooked). I didn't make the boiled icing but topped with the butter icing and caramelised walnuts pieces rather than halves. Made 4 fairy cakes.

I had good intentions of losing some weight this summer - I have a wedding with thin people to go to - watching Bake Off isn't going to help. I am now fighting the urge to have a go at making biscotti tomorrow. Ah well, am sure I'll look fine wearing a tent!

• Like 4