Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding and passing on of information

Can I ask how much information you should pass onto a school when a child is moving on from any early years provision.

Child A had previously been on a CPO.

Child A is now on a Child in need plan.

This has all been verbally passed onto the school.

Teacher has visited setting.

Information of SW including contact details has been passed to the class teacher.

Senco has visited setting.

Senco has sat in on recent child review meeting with multi agency team.

Can I ask should any previous paperwork be photocopied and passed on to them from the setting or should this come from their SW.

Obviously safeguarding is paramount but unsure of how much past information should be shared by a setting as opposed to the SW giving it to them.

I have exactly the same situation- and I shall send nothing.

The Head teacher has been to the last core group meeting, therefore is 'in the loop' for want of a better word.

I was once told we should never photo-copy CP stuff anyway- due to the copier have it's own memory?

We do pass on written details of any concerns etc and I devised a form for teachers to sign saying they have received the information - this was a 'must do' when we had our safeguarding audit by the county council :)

• Like 1

We do pass on written details of any concerns etc and I devised a form for teachers to sign saying they have received the information - this was a 'must do' when we had our safeguarding audit by the county council :)

would you mind showing this form please - i have a cp which i wasnt sure what i should do with?

I have always passed info on and after a recent situation will continue to do so. If it is in the interest of the child then there should be no issues with this. I would always rather give too much information than a child slip through the net. ;)

• Like 3

forgive me being so blunt........................but how in the name of hell do you help protect a child if you DON'T share information?? I wouldn't care if a member of the school staff had been at a meeting, I would STILL share the information. Again and again, children die because information wasn't shared. And children will continue to die and be hurt and abused because information wasn't shared. I wouldn't ever want to be in the position of having to confess that I had information that I hadn't shared and as a result, a child was left unprotected. Would any of us?

• Like 4

As a receiving school we appreciate knowing as much as possible and our social workers here are horrendously busy, so it really helps if information can be shared with our designated officer. She can then inform anyone in school who may need to know and keep tabs on children as they move through the school.

Our DO sometimes goes to nurseries or sometimes they come to us with paperwork, it is always signed for on handover, This is a separate set of meetings from the ones I have with feeder provisions which focus on teaching and learning, and individual needs.

I hand everything over all the safeguarding file for each child who has one, it is either gone through face to face with receiving school/nursery or passed over at last TAC mtg if they can attend, this is also same for a child's SEN file.

We get signatures for each safeguarding or SEN file transferred to prove our passing of it, glad we did one year when they misplaced it for a week and asked us for it arghhhh! anyway I do not keep the information as storing this for 20 odd years in some cases is a long time so we ensue the information follows the child as part of our safeguarding best practice for our area.

I'm kind of strict with my sharing of information I always feel as long as you share it with the correct professional then you need to share, I go through family situations any niggles I have and the lot at our Passover mtgs.

Off note but once I phoned a DR up and he refused to speak to me!!! Well that is till I started quoting off safeguarding, eyfs etc he soon changed his mind and I wouldn't stop till he spoke to me! And glad I did as it unearthed a few things that I felt I knew but needed checking. x

Narnia no offence taken and on asking the question I expect to get a plethora of answers, however my question is after sharing all information verbally to both the teacher and to the Senco of the school, and the Senco attending the most recent meeting held at the child's home should we as a setting pass on the CPC reports or should these come from the SW.

I certainly have not withheld any information.

CPP are the property of the author/lead proff and as such you have to contact the author/lead proff to grant Passover, it's never not been granted in my cases as why would they not, but then I record who I spoke to, date etc on the form to show its been authorised.

I can only go by what our LA recommends is best practice so may be different in other areas. x

• Like 1

This was bought up on recent training I attended. What happens if you get called to appear in court in the future and you have handed all records on to other settings? We know that some families move from county to county. This also adds complications to the idea of physically handing records over.

Never did receive an answer. I think that schools have strict procedures in place but yet another example of having to make up our own rules in early years. Maybe one day it will be acknowledged that we all have the same aim!

• Like 1

Then copy it and pass it over. Easy..............the receiving setting has a copy and you fulfill your obligation to have it on your files for x number of years.

Fredbear, I would hand over information you have too..............I certainly wouldn't rely on the SW

No I have already decided that I'm not going to rely on them, but will be contacting the lead professional tomorrow for clarification on this.

Thank you for all your valued advice. As always a great forum to ask questions and receive answers.

Yes Narnia, that is what I do. Unfortunately this thread shows that we are all given different advice and doing different things and this just adds to the chance of children slipping through the net -again!

Our county have recently been pushing the sharing of information with the tag line 'data protection is not a barrier to sharing information if it protects a child from serious harm' ( or words to that effect), I now have it added to the bottom of certain policies.

• Like 2

No I have already decided that I'm not going to rely on them, but will be contacting the lead professional tomorrow for clarification on this.

Thank you for all your valued advice. As always a great forum to ask questions and receive answers.

All our staff goes through the lead professional. We do ask the schools if they have been given info though to double check all info is passed on.

Sooooooo........

I was reading this thread on my Kindle last night and getting increasingly 'wound up' as i can't seem to add a response on that device........then along came narnia and said everything that I was thinking!

I wouldn't hold back any safeguarding info - EVER - I would also not give a flying fluff whether that sits well with LA - I would want to know that i had done all that I possibly could to protect a child....

• Like 1

Can I just reiterate to you all that I have categorically not withheld any information to the school. My point was should the old CPC documents come from a social worker or from the early years setting.

At no time would a child's safety ever be compromised on my watch, hence the meetings I have already had.

I am sorry if I have angered any you that was not my intention.

• Like 1

Can I just reiterate to you all that I have categorically not withheld any information to the school. My point was should the old CPC documents come from a social worker or from the early years setting.

At no time would a child's safety ever be compromised on my watch, hence the meetings I have already had.

No anger here Fredbear! :1b

I feel a bit like that too!

I think you are in the same LA as me - and in my area they are ***t **t . We have been to lots of meetings with EVERONE involved- we have to do reports all shared/discussed at various meetings.

I have absolutely nothing at our setting that hasn't already been shared -with another two meetings next week - therefore I have no need to send our paperwork to the school as they already have it.