Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Would you take someone on who has left before?

We're advertising for a new member of staff in September and have just had an inquiry from someone who started an apprenticeship scheme with us last year but gave up after less then a term - during her time with us she didn't really settle in, was off 'sick' numerous times and just didn't seem interested in the job.

Legally do I have to give her an interview? we have stated we need someone who has worked in a pre-school setting before and has experience as a key person - she says she has been working somewhere and has 1 month's experience as a key person but to be honest I just don't think I even want to interview because she wasn't (to be harsh) any good when she was with us last year......not sure what to say to her though!

DO you have a person spec for the role? If so, you can check against it what she matches from her other experience. Then look at all your applicants so that you are being fair, shortlisting against your criteria. If she is interested she must go through the same process as anyone else, ie application form etc.

At the end of the day you cant stop her from applying, but I certainly wouldn't interview someone after just an enquiry.

• Like 1

Why do you have to interview her again if you already know she is not what you want ? The 'off sick numerous times' bit would be enough for me not to go there again, I would have put 'No' in the would you re-employ box going on what you have said anyway if she was asking for a reference :)

• Like 1

Why do you have to interview her again if you already know she is not what you want ? The 'off sick numerous times' bit would be enough for me not to go there again, I would have put 'No' in the would you re-employ box going on what you have said anyway if she was asking for a reference :)

I don't want to interview her again I'm just not sure what to say to her in reply to the email she sent asking for an application pack - I want to be able to say in a 'nice' way thanks but no thanks lol.

She did give my details for a reference for the job centre and I did put on there we wouldn't employ her again - I'm guessing she didn't see it......

• Like 1

Like all of us I have past staff members I would re-employ like a shot and others I know well enough that they wouldn't change their ways or have kept up to date with current practice.

Be polite - but firm that you really are looking for a particular skill and person.

Just out of interest - you said that the person left you last year without completing an apprenticeship. She has since been working at another setting where she has had '1 months experience' as a key person? So were you asked to provide a reference for that job? If yes, why don't you re - read it and ask if you would employ someone else who applied with that reference? If not why did that last setting not approach you? To be honest, from reading between the lines of what you have written, I don't think I would take them back.

• Like 2

I would not send a pack and certainly not interview.

She does not meet your criteria of having the right/enough experience. You need someone who has had more than 1 month's experience.

There are rules about discrimination but I would guess sticking with the need for someone with post qualification experience may help.

Leave it at that.

as Finleysmaid and Rea have said, I would send pack then check her application against your criteria so you have an objective stance on why she didn't make the shortlist (even if she's the only applicant) - it will just depersonalise it for you both.

I have re-employed but organisations and people develop so the person isn't the one who left, and they are coming back to a different organisation, so it can all be a bit uncomfortable for a while, and in a couple of cases hasn't worked out at all. In others it has been brilliant. I wouldn't re-employ someone I had had any doubts about though.

If you want a way of letting her down gently, I would send a pack then tell her she hasn't been shortlisted for interview.

I definitely wouldn't interview her or take it any further. There are lots of alarm bells, not least the fact that she's leaving another setting after one month's experience!

• Like 1