Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End of an Era.

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

Well as of end of Spring term, after 29 years as Leader of the village pre-school, I retired. I wasn't intending to go just yet but it was either retire or have a breakdown. Pressure of work was getting to me so badly that I felt as if I was in a hole and paperwork was being poured on top of me.

About 5 years ago the chairperson at that time decided to employ an admin person in the office to take some of the paperwork off my shoulders. It worked well and she did all the ordering, bill paying, sending my reports to advisor etc. Last November she resigned after her hours were drastically cut and got a better paid job in town. I was pleased for her but the latest committee said that we didn't need admin as I was capable of doing it.

I had 10 key children and I know that lots of you have more than that but I was given no extra time to do the admin. I can't believe this but I began to hate my job. My husband hated me bringing more and more work home and just before Feb. half term I think I cried for 3 weeks.

We have a lovely vicar who in a previous life was a Crown Prosecutor and I went to him and he was able to set out my choices. After an hour of talking and some prayer he said that I had to make my decision and what ever decision I made if it was the right one for me then it would feel as if the sun had come out.

When I got home I wrote my resignation letter and believe it or not a great weight lifted and I did feel as if the sun had come out.

My last day was 27th March and I had a wonderful send off with lots of parents, old colleagues and representatives from the Primary school hiding in the outside play area whilst I had my last group time with the children. My husband picked me up at the end of the day and the flowers filled the back of the car, I actually ran out of vases.

My husband has said that this week I have been a different person and he had got his wife back. I have been asked if I will go on the relief list to cover for illness and training courses. I said yes because I will be there to play with the children and do what I used to do when I started 29 years ago.

I haven't been on here for a while but I have had some good advice and support from members and wanted to say a big thank you to you all.

Mary

Mary what a lovely heartfelt post! Sad of course, like so many of us, the weight of administration made the job too much to bear. However after 29 years I think you deserve your retirement!

Hope the sun continues shining for you and your husband.......and just enjoy your 'playdates' : ) x

Well done and congratulations on your decision - a very difficult one it must have been.

When one door closes, another opens.

Good luck for the future.

x

Edited by Guest

Often we need to trust our instincts that tell us when the time to go is. It can be scary giving it up, but Mary I am glad you came to that decision and are getting your life back.

There are many retired members here now so I hope you are able to pop in from time to time to say hello and tell us how retirement is going.

• Like 2

Mary had an inspiring task

With difficulties she could no longer mask

So with angels listening and standing by

She made her decision to say goodbye

The sun is now shining and lifted are the clouds

That Mary can sit back and relax

In the knowledge that she did herself and so many others proud.

Enjoy your retirement Mary , a brave and yet right decision for you and those you love

Have fun , laughter and time for you x

• Like 4

Mary, I was in a similar position two years ago. Like you, I decided the end had finally come and I can honestly say that, though it was wrench leaving the children behind, I haven't regretted my decision one bit. I have much more quality time with my lovely husband of 42 years and my dear 89 year-old Mum who has been a wheelchair user since a stroke.

Enjoy your retirement, and your occasional sessions of play!

Sue x