Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer born deferring

Hi all.

I had an email from a parent asking for a report on their child as they want to defer his school entry for a year as his birthday is 30th August. I said no problem I will do this but you must get it in writing that he can go into reception in 2016 and not year 1. No problem she said, she needs to get all the evidence and then the head teacher decides.

I then said that if he stays in nursey he will only get 15 hours funded for the year, did she want to book him in for the same sessions. No she said four days 9am until 3pm. Errmmmmm well he might as well be in reception then at least he could do mornings as he is so young and not ready for it.......

Has anyone else had any enquiries about deferring?

Yes, I had similar last year. We found that if she started school in reception a year later, she would need to miss a year somewhere so that she could start secondary at the right age. We decided that she would be better off just going to reception, and actually she's been fine. She's keeping up with everyone else in the summer term birthdays athough there's a huge gap between her and the Setember birthdays in her school year. I'm sure it was the right decision. A lot changes in a child's ability between now and September. Can she keep her options open until later in the summer term?

Sometimes it's hard to look at your 'baby' and see that they are ready for school. I've seen it a lot over my working life, and it's usually this time of year that the doubts start to set in. I think it's entirely normal. But just as most of the children hit the summer term running and becoming ready for the next stage, this child will do it too, but perhaps not till June/July.

Is there an option for her to just do the autumn term with you, on those 4 days and then start the school in January full time? Might that help if she really isn't ready in any way by summer?

• Like 3

we get enquiries from time to time, but have never had a parent who has actually done it, as out local schools will then only move the child into Yr1.

Recent research (i'm sure I read it in the Times, but can't find the article now) actually suggests that summer born children who defer end up worse off in the longer run than those who do not.

Edited by eyfs1966
  • Like 1

We have deferrals all the time...for lots of reasons. I actually think that they can be very positive if handled well.

I am also sure i have read recent info (on here) that children can stay in the year group that they enter rather than having to go with their 'age' group as long as the head agrees.

I currently have twins who were born in August ...12 weeks early! so they should really be in the following year...she could probably persuade the head to let them stay with us for another year...lots of evidence from TAMBA that this is better for the children.

From the DfE School Admissions Code (via Nursery World's newsletter):

2.17 of the code states, 'Parents of a summer-born child may choose not to send their child to school until the September following their fifth birthday, and may request that they are admitted out of their normal age group - to Reception rather than Year 1. Admission authorities must make clear in their admission arrangements the process for requesting admission out of the normal age group.

'Admission authorities must make decisions on the basis of the circumstances of each case and in the best interests of the child concerned.

'When informing a parent of their decision on the year group the child should be admitted to, the admission authority must set out clearly the reasons for its decision.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/%20389388/School_Admissions_Code_2014_-_19_Dec.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I wondered about this too.... we have a child remaining in pre-school this year out of cohort with an agreement that he can start Reception in 2017... it's all very strange as we are in partnership with the primary school who did not agree, so parents got agreement from a private school and lea agreed on that basis!! most bizarre, and really not sure about it all...... and if he would have to start secondary in Y8 then that really does raise even more issues!

Does anybody know whether the EYFSP have to be completed in June 2017 for this child even though he's not in Reception? The guidance talks about the June of the year a child turns 5..... not the year they complete Reception....

I'm very confused!!

• Like 1

Children do seem to start school very young these days and it's always difficult for parents of summer summer born children, but there has to be a cut off somewhere. I often find that most of the children are okay once they get settled in and I think it's often the parents who are more worried than the children. When parents ask me for advice I am honest and say that round here, unless there's a really good reason, schools are unlikely to allow them to drop a year (they can start late if the parent chooses but will still have to go into year one). I remember having exactly the same concerns with my own daughter (warning - boast alert!!) who was born at 10pm on August 31st - just two hours early to be in the next school year - and who has just won a school physicist of the year award and been granted a scholarship to study physics at university.

• Like 5

The EYFSP is ony completed when a child goes into Year 1, so if he stays with you then starts reception i Sept 2017 the school will do the profile in 2018 assuming the DfE havent axed it again...

I wondered about this too.... we have a child remaining in pre-school this year out of cohort with an agreement that he can start Reception in 2017... it's all very strange as we are in partnership with the primary school who did not agree, so parents got agreement from a private school and lea agreed on that basis!! most bizarre, and really not sure about it all...... and if he would have to start secondary in Y8 then that really does raise even more issues!

Does anybody know whether the EYFSP have to be completed in June 2017 for this child even though he's not in Reception? The guidance talks about the June of the year a child turns 5..... not the year they complete Reception....

I'm very confused!!

• Like 1

I'm very confused!!

I've had to do the Foundation Stage Profile for 2 children, in the same year, who hadn't gone to Reception, and in the case of 1 would not be as the family went home to Poland. So I'm not sure.

I've had to do the Foundation Stage Profile for 2 children, in the same year, who hadn't gone to Reception, and in the case of 1 would not be as the family went home to Poland. So I'm not sure.

It has to be done for children at the end of the EYFS, before starting Year 1, independently of if a child is in Reception or an early years setting at that time.

It has to be done for children at the end of the EYFS, before starting Year 1, independently of if a child is in Reception or an early years setting at that time.

however I would check this as you are suggesting this child will be doing reception a year late which would then mean they need to be 'profiled' at the end of reception....otherwise they will be 'done' twice!

The EYFSP is completed when the child is going into yr1, regardless of where they are or their age. It is only done once. I have to sort this every year as moderation manager!!

The ARA always states - e.g. for this year:

Practitioners must complete the EYFS profile for each pupil who will be 5 years old on or before Wednesday 31 August 2016 unless:

• the Secretary of State has granted an exemption from the profile for the setting
  • the pupil is continuing in EYFS provision beyond the year in which they turn 5
  • the pupil has arrived from abroad less than 2 weeks before the profile submission deadline and so an accurate and valid assessment can’t be completed
  • the pupil has spent the majority of the academic year away from the setting, for example, due to illness or medical treatment

For children out of chronological age group it will be done when they complete reception.

cx

• Like 2