Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Visitor using mobile phone

Wildflowers

Why not look at this issue using a risk assessment?

What are you concerned may happen if someone takes a call while on your premises? How could harm come to the children in your care through such an event?

How high is the risk? How serious is the potential harm?

Edited by Upsy Daisy

I would think it depends on what you policy says regarding mobile phones in the setting and follow that, I'd be politely asking them to take/return the call in a private area...and think that the prospective parent would respect that and be pleased that you don't allow people to use mobiles in proximity to children.....regardless of how minimal the risk may be.

• Like 1

Over a year ago now we had our inspection and it was pulled up by the inspector that we did not have a no mobile phone sign up and the parent they interviewed did not know you couldn't use your phone. We did have a policy and we didn't see it as a big thing for us as it very rarley happened, but staff would politely ask the person to take the call in the foyer of it did but as I say very rarley needed. Due to it not being openly known and visualised to parents it was put in our report, within 24hrs sign up, write up sent out to parents within a week - we got a nice report though.

Over a year ago now we had our inspection and it was pulled up by the inspector that we did not have a no mobile phone sign up and the parent they interviewed did not know you couldn't use your phone. We did have a policy and we didn't see it as a big thing for us as it very rarley happened, but staff would politely ask the person to take the call in the foyer of it did but as I say very rarley needed. Due to it not being openly known and visualised to parents it was put in our report, within 24hrs sign up, write up sent out to parents within a week - we got a nice report though.

Crikey! :o

i don't have a sign either - where will I find one :blink: do I need one :ph34r: has everyone else got one?

Thanks for sharing Rochelle :1b

• Like 1

i dont have one either but have been debating it for a while...i suspect clip art may have one just going to look...there were certainly plenty on google images

Thank you - not really convinced that I need this - but probably will 'just play the game' - sometimes easier in the long run :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Just knock one up as said off google, for sake of an A4 sign it's not worth not doing it! I noticed after my kids school inspection mobile free zone signs went up on their nursery doors too! not only do we provide a communication visual friendly setting for children we have to have visuals for adults too ha ha ha

Super signs - hadn't thought of it before, but will be really useful during parent assemblies (some chose to use this as a communication time) and maybe will remind a few staff too!!

We have it in our policy that staff, volunteers and visitors are requested to put their mobile phones in their bags and they are placed in the store cupboard/cloakroom. However, if they are expecting a call (so, if like in the original post, there might be a childminder looking after a child) they can place it on the windowsill so it can be heard. They are then requested to take the call in the entrance vestibule or the kitchen, away from the children.

Hadn't thought of having a sign up though....

I had some fun when searching for 'no' signs.

The reason why we can't allow dogs even on a lead is that a one barked at a child who started crying.

Dogs are a bit of a worry when we are out and about as some children are frightened of them after bad experiences. (Starting a topic within a topic... sorry!).

We have a sign and have for ages as despite policy and reminders some parents failed to get it. We emphasis the importance of talking to your child when dropping off and collecting as well as the obvious safeguarding, on our signing in book we have a tick list for mobile phoned switched off as we request this too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)