Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What did you do in today's weather?

Don't know about anywhere else in the country but our weather was cold, wet and windy today. In true Eyfs style we opened the doors and over half the children went out (some only lasted 2 mins!). We made sure all children had coats on and zipped and wellies on if they have them. However our problem is that we worry about coats and clothes being wet for the rest of the day? Do others use overalls on any wet day to avoid this? We have asked parents to provide them but only 1 has so far! We're asking the PTA to get us some hopefully soon! What do other's do? I'm keen on the outdoors but don't want soggy children getting cold!

Thanks x

Dungarees and a hooded jacket. All-in-ones don't work for toileting outdoors.

Rain clothes should be washed in 30 degrees without detergent to stay waterproof. Short spin, no tumble drying.

Umbrellas seem impractical as the children can't use their hands. They could also be poked into eyes.

Two thick jumpers under the jacket. Children get colder on wet days than parents may realise.

we use toggs waterproof all in ones (manage with toileting but we are near loos!) we buy a small amount of them and then hire them to parents (£5 per term) or they can buy them for £30 (RRP) but we purchase in bulk so get them at a much better rate. We then invest the money back in to buying more,,,,,,we now have enough for all the children they can supply their own but i actively discourage this due to the ridiculous nature of the suits we get :blink:

On a day like today they wear their coats/jumpers and then the waterproofs go over the top. We put warm water out to play with (not for long!) staff have waterproof coats and trousers hats and gloves (we supply their trousers)all children have wellies on site (as do staff) this system works well and i have two children who cannot get cold so we need to be careful...but never stops us going out :1b

We wimped out today - had an obstacle course inside, which I might say the children really loved and did so well. Tomorrow, we only have 4 children attending - some are on holiday. As we are 4 staff in, we are taking the children to the park for the morning, and giving them snack at the cafe!

• Like 3

Our PA bought us waterproof trousers. We have a dozen pairs, plus some donated by previous parents.Some children have their own sets as our prospectus stresses we go out in all weathers! We also have welly collection so can go out. The problem today was the length of time taken to get them all kitted out and then to take it all off again!

• Like 1

Our PA bought us waterproof trousers. We have a dozen pairs, plus some donated by previous parents.Some children have their own sets as our prospectus stresses we go out in all weathers! We also have welly collection so can go out. The problem today was the length of time taken to get them all kitted out and then to take it all off again!

Oh I know just what you mean, this is what I hate about this time of year and especially at the end of the morning when they are about to go home and they are tired, they don't want to co-operate getting dressed, let alone dressing themselves, all of a sudden they can't do anything - but they have coats, boots to change back into, and later on hats and gloves (which many a parent forgets or just doesn't bother to name) - sorry getting a bit ranty pants there.

During the morning when they are going out they appear to have more motivation or will at least have a go at getting dressed and it becomes part of the "activities" of the day also there is plenty of time to devote to it.

I would love you to come and put your spell on ours Finleysmaid at least for the moment - to watch them somedays you would think their mothers/fathers do absolutely everything for them, and when they come in they just dump their coats and boots and walk off to play indoors! Yes - they just expect everything to be picked up after them and sorted out - that's how they "arrive", by the time they leave for primaryschool it's a different matter, but it takes some while to break their habits when they are new at pre-school, however, when I see them with their parents they seem to forget just how independent they can be and slip back into their old ways, and the parents pick up after them - sometimes it's fighting a losing battle!

Lining up, running, jumping with two feet into a puddle to make a big splash, then fun to the end of the line. One adult organising the line and one adult by the puddle sending them back before next child arrives.

Making and moving along an obstacle course.

Digging in mud, adding leaves and sawdust etc.

Directing rainwater going down a road with fallen leaves, earth and twigs.

Putting up a tarpaulin, problem solving together.

Sliding down a muddy bank.

Climbing out of a pit or up a bank holding onto rope and roots.

Painting with two primary colours on large strong paper, watching how it colour changes in the rain, then lifting the paper and see the paint move.

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1

We go out in the rain similar to Wildflowers and also have lots of puddle and mud play

We have used umbrellas too but I don't think this would be so successful with current group!

We provide waterproofs - dungarees and jackets and all children provide wellies although we have lots of spares

They do take ages to get them kitted out and then it's a problem trying to take them all off when they are wet but...we still do it ☺️

Only don't go when it is very cold as their hands soon get sore

Anyone know of any good waterproof gloves that don't cost the earth?

We start our day outside, so they arrive dressed. On our return, children put their coat, hat and mittens into a named large bag (type hessian supermarket bag). Then they line up with their bag, we take off their dungarees and boots and put them in the bag, then send them inside for hand washing.

Waterproof fleece-lined mittens at £10 each is what we use. In winter on top of gloves or mittens.

Thermal leggings are essential to wear under trousers, for both children and staff.

We wimped out today - had an obstacle course inside, which I might say the children really loved and did so well. Tomorrow, we only have 4 children attending - some are on holiday. As we are 4 staff in, we are taking the children to the park for the morning, and giving them snack at the cafe!

We had an absolutely lovely time, the weather was fabulous, we played 3 billy goats gruff on the trip trap bridge over the narrow end of the lake, we fed some incredibly hungry ducks and geese (to the point they were nudging us for more and as soon as we had none left they all bu****ed off! mercenary lot! We had a great time in the play area which is all natural, we collected as much fallen autumn goodies as there were on offer in our bags, we played hide and seek between the trees, then went for our snack at the rather lovely art deco cafe with balcony which over looks the lake and countryside - we are very lucky to have such a fantastic space on our doorstep. Wearily we walked back to the nursery changed back into our shoes etc. and looked at the photographs we had taken on the big digital photo frame before the mummies came to pick up. If only I could afford to stay open on just 4 children and 4 staff!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We go out regardless and have waterproof jackets and trousers

We don't wash ours perhaps once a year if that

They get brushed down.

If your going to waterproof your children then you need to staff as well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)