Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supervisor counted in ratios

lashes2508

I am supernumerate but cover if staff are ill, on a course, or on days when we require an additional member of staff. I also cover lunch time and ensure I am in the room when children arrive/depart. I also do cretain activities with the children such as letters and sounds daily, PE and work with 2 yr olds.

• Like 1

Hi I am supernumerary for 5 out of the 6 sessions I work.

I am always on the door at arrival and departure, and I cheekily escape from the cupboard, oops I mean the office at every available opportunity.

But seriously, showing parents around almost daily, supporting parents, completing paperwork, telephone calls, and so on and on and on.

I'm in ratio all the time (term time, pack away setting) I get 8 hrs a week to do at home which was ok but as we increased our hours it's getting very much on top of me now and I'am considering requesting to the board that I have one session a week in the cupboard lol! I only do what a practitioner would do at work no paperwork at all, no cashing up or invoicing, the work required is too much now and September has not been quiet. I think I need my life back and some rest ! it's lovely been in ratios working with the children as i then know everything that is going off and know children personally which adds that personal touch for staff and users but I'm now dead on my feet. I'm going to follow this feed to see what others do x

I know how you feel in playing catch up. I am an Owner/Manager and I am currently working with the children (the best bit) as a key person. I am working 52.5 hours per week in the nursery and then working on the paperwork in the evenings and at weekends. Really need to reassess, we all do. but we care so much that we just keep going. Unfortunately at the moment I feel that I am not doing either role as well as i could if I could just focus on one.

I'm in ratio all the time (term time, pack away setting) I get 8 hrs a week to do at home which was ok but as we increased our hours it's getting very much on top of me now and I'am considering requesting to the board that I have one session a week in the cupboard lol! I only do what a practitioner would do at work no paperwork at all, no cashing up or invoicing, the work required is too much now and September has not been quiet. I think I need my life back and some rest ! it's lovely been in ratios working with the children as i then know everything that is going off and know children personally which adds that personal touch for staff and users but I'm now dead on my feet. I'm going to follow this feed to see what others do x

I'm exactly the same as you except only get 3 paid hours a week at home - which is when I have to do EVERYTHING apart from the wages plus all the usual learning stories etc....... We are only open 4 hrs on Monday and Tuesday and 6hrs wed-thurs so I just try and squeeze in paperwork at every opportunity at home lol

• Like 1

Not in ratio, but as total packaway I help to set up - then always do arrival - then assist on adult focus - then its paperwork time but always seemed to be called in to the hall because of some catastrophe or other, when we are free flowing it's very difficult to 'man all the areas' with out me - then at tidy up time I need to help as we only have a 30m window for getting everything packed away.

So in all I might get 30 - 40 mins to do the admin - basically most of it is done at home and in those 30mins I'm filing away what I've done or putting updated documents onto the noticeboard etc

Dead on my feet too, and it's totally taken over my home and life, I find it very difficult to switch off as I don't 'walk away' from work it's all sitting on the dining room table - I'm now feeling like I've had enough :(

• Like 2

For many years I did exactly as you describe, but the nature of the job role has changed so much in the past 20 years in our pack away setting, that it would impossible to do it that way now.

We also do home visits for all our new children, 20 last term, 10 more this term.

The pays rubbish but the children still amaze me everyday.:)

• Like 3

i would love to have some out of ratio time but just lost some staff so the time i had has now been lost covering the missing staff - i knew it was too good to be true when they said i could have some time out of ratio lol.

the trouble is now that you do need time to do more and more jobs - committees, other staff don't realise what you do - they just expect it all to JUST BE THERE.

• Like 3

i would love to have some out of ratio time but just lost some staff so the time i had has now been lost covering the missing staff - i knew it was too good to be true when they said i could have some time out of ratio lol.

the trouble is now that you do need time to do more and more jobs - committees, other staff don't realise what you do - they just expect it all to JUST BE THERE.

Ops did that wrong wanted to quote and write ha ha ha (clearly the strain is getting to me lol) I agree completely staff keep saying can I have this can we have that, this communication in print sign is ripped we need another the list goes on and on!! and all you can say is yes I'll add it to my list ! My board also want me to tackle building a new build too !!! Are they having a laugh ?

• Like 1

I am counted in ratio and have more than my share of Key Children too - but that's my decision as owner/manager.......however, just for this term I am taking a back seat on a Wednesday morning - a quiet session (only this term though) - I am really enjoying this opportunity to spend that time catching up with the never ending paperwork! :1b

So when your counted in the ratio are the rest of your staff working the session qualified or not? For example 9 children over 3 yrs old, 4 staff including yourself but only 1 other qualified , answers on a postcard ! Or just here will do

Did you mean 19 children? If so I'd take that as 2qualified + 1 not. 4 th person not counted in ratio.

If 9, then 1 q + 1unq, and yourself on premisses but out of ratio ?

Difficult to work out if you work over ratio, but have unqualified staff!!!

I think I read on here in the last few weeks that someone interterpred it as 'the total of all staff employed' - but personally I'm note sure about that. Luckily for us all staff are qualified - so my brain is a little rusty on working out these issues in afraid :-(. Sorry not much help .

• Like 1

No I meant 9 louby lou , basically in total we have 8 staff inc myself as 50 % of other staff have to be qualified , this applies to each session so where there is a shortfall in qualified staff percentages ( we currently have 3 working towards a qualification one of whom is an apprentice, I have included myself in ratios but this is still not good enough so we now have to advertise for a temp qualified member of staff until the others complete as the other 2 qualified staff can't cover all sessions , we are always over ratio . It nearly meant I was going to have to let one person go ! But fortunately we have found a way round it but Ofsted have said they understand but until such time we need yet another qualified staff and that on the Wednesday example I would not be fulfilling requirements . So what is the point of including myself in ratios if not ok unless for sickness.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also turning into a paper pumpkin!!! I love my time with the children but I am also counted in the ratios, (Manager), cleaner, parent dartboard! I thought we were meant to have less paperwork and more time with the children. We do the job as a vocation, not because of the money, but constant juggling can mean things get dropped. I think we should pat ourselves and our team on our backs, and have the courage to say we do our job to the best of our abilities, and that is what makes best practice. Go on do it!!! Lucy -:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)