Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

SENCO briefings

We have just been informed by our local authority that the termly SENCO briefings which we should attend will now be chargeable at £25 per year. I'm not really up on the new Sen code of practice but is this legal?

Do we HAVE to attend these? Should the LA have to provide these free of charge to meet their statutory duties?

Anyone know??

OUCH! ours are still free!

I don't think there is anything in the code about training/network meetings but I know that our LA wants us all to attend as e get email reminders if we do not book within 14 days.

I went to a Leaders and Managers meeting and the message is that the SEND reforms are HUGE and if you don't keep up with them Ofsted will downgrade you so it is vital to go to the SENCO network meetings but it seems very harsh that you have to pay.

The SENCO role now takes around 30 of my 40 (she laughs!!) hours a week at work. I completed the 'are you ready for the SEND reform SEF and one of the questions was 'how do you ensure your SENCO has sufficient time to carry out the role' I answered, 'I do SENCO work whilst the nursery is open so that I can speak to key carers and observe/work with children and I do almost every other part of my job in my own time' it may not be the flowery answer they are looking for but its the truth! xx

• Like 2

I think (as I say it's only Think!) it's not government guidance to attend any - however that is precisely what our LA are doing and it's part of the LA code of conduct for providing FEL so if your not a FEL provider then no you don't have to attend but otherwise yes you have to pay up and probably pay for your own coffee/tea on top of that ? not to mention biscuits have been also revoked at ours !

We've had to pay this time too, not as much as that but i do begrudge it when it is a necessity! I've also got to pay for managers briefings and the choice of venues is atrocious this term.

This is on top of losing thousands of pounds (9 and a half to be precise) with our 70 funded children this term..... and we are the cheapest provider in the area.... sigh... feeling despondent tonight, good thing i love my job!

OUCH! ours are still free!

I don't think there is anything in the code about training/network meetings but I know that our LA wants us all to attend as e get email reminders if we do not book within 14 days.

I went to a Leaders and Managers meeting and the message is that the SEND reforms are HUGE and if you don't keep up with them Ofsted will downgrade you so it is vital to go to the SENCO network meetings but it seems very harsh that you have to pay.

The SENCO role now takes around 30 of my 40 (she laughs!!) hours a week at work. I completed the 'are you ready for the SEND reform SEF and one of the questions was 'how do you ensure your SENCO has sufficient time to carry out the role' I answered, 'I do SENCO work whilst the nursery is open so that I can speak to key carers and observe/work with children and I do almost every other part of my job in my own time' it may not be the flowery answer they are looking for but its the truth! xx

Our senco can't get to any of the training because it is so far away and she would be just arriving when she needed to leave to be back to collect her children from school! It's ludicrous. She is going to do dome IPSEA training

Unfortunately there is nothing in the LA code of practice that says any kind of training has to be free, and with LAs facing so many cut backs, often free courses for many are a thing of the past. I am sure there will be many members here who have been paying for all kinds of training for years, and others perhaps still getting a lot free, and yet others just starting to be charged. Years ago, when LAs could place conditions on those receiving EYE (such as compulsory SENCO training), it had to be realistically free, but since such conditions were removed from the code, and LAs can no longer add any conditions of their own, then any training can and often will now be charged for. (even if not yet in some LAs). So what is considered a fair charge? Even at £25 for a whole year (assuming 3 sessions, just over £8 a session), that will be heavily subsidised, and will not reflect the actual cost of putting that event on.

As Suer said, in Kent we are still receiving these briefings without charge (I know that I'm tempting fate here :ph34r: )

Recently (last term) I attended 'designated person' safeguarding - I was charged £80.00 for the privilege - I understand everything you have told us mundia - however, my 'argument' is and always has been choice of venue for such training - a 'swanky' hotel with lunch and other refreshments laid on is not, in my humble, necessary - i would far rather go to a Village hall and take with me a packed lunch and a flask......

£80.00 + travelling + supply cover all adds up to a big drain on the finances of my very small setting.......

• Like 5

I totally agree. No need for posh hotels and lovely lunches.

Safeguarding and SENCo is the only training that is still free in my neck of the woods. Everything else we pay for and First Aid we have to source ourselves. I wonder how many other sectors / industries / jobs charge for their training.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is nothing in the LA code of practice that says any kind of training has to be free, and with LAs facing so many cut backs, often free courses for many are a thing of the past. I am sure there will be many members here who have been paying for all kinds of training for years, and others perhaps still getting a lot free, and yet others just starting to be charged. Years ago, when LAs could place conditions on those receiving EYE (such as compulsory SENCO training), it had to be realistically free, but since such conditions were removed from the code, and LAs can no longer add any conditions of their own, then any training can and often will now be charged for. (even if not yet in some LAs). So what is considered a fair charge? Even at £25 for a whole year (assuming 3 sessions, just over £8 a session), that will be heavily subsidised, and will not reflect the actual cost of putting that event on.

our LA pays for us to access this forum, and I can say in all honesty I think I have learnt far more from this site than on many (most) of our short courses I've been on, and all in the comfort of my own home :-)

• Like 2

i completely understand Mundia...but again i would ask if the maintained sector is also paying this cost? I would be happy to pay for training if it is of high quality and challenges my staff to think for themselves and increase their skill set. Also it is interesting that the 'rules' have been removed....i wonder how many LEA's have passed that information on to their settings...i'm not sure i was aware of that!!!

• Like 1

Anything that narrows the gap is a must and I believe has to be provided free, including supporting satisfactory and room for improvement settings

As said our Senco forum remains free (training like ASD) is chargeable, we also have twighlight sessions between YR and PVI are also free.

Safe guarding we have to pay for .

We also have collaboration meeting to help support us and move forward with our own collaboration groups

Difficult times, you don't know you had it good until we no longer have it.

I value training and networking very highly, will always put that as a top priority for my staff.

Edited by Suer

Finleysmaid, I am sure you will be familiar with the document to which I referred, as its the one that made OFSTED the 'sole arbiter' and its been discussed here a few times. But just in case you havent, its here. It will, I expect form the basis of any local code you have to sign each year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/269734/early_education_and_childcare_for_local_authorities.pdf