Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Two year olds napping - a question...

Ours have a short sleep when they first start .... Usually just first week then for some strange reason they don't seem to need one, I think they are worried they may miss something ;-)

we only had one two yeqr old who mum said needed a sleep after lunch, however after a few weeks she then asked us not to let her sleep as she was now not going to sleep in the evening very well - after a few days of struggling she now has overcome this and although sometimes she seems to take a breather - sitting looking at books for a short period of time- she is absolutely fine

Psychologist Dr Jessica Horst in Nursery World 28 February 2014:

‘Many preschool children take an afternoon nap, yet classroom naps are increasingly being curtailed and replaced due to curriculum demands. Given the growing body of evidence that sleep consolidation has a significant effect on children’s learning, such policies may be doing our children a huge disservice.’

• Like 3

We have a separate room, the Quiet Room, where curtains are drawn. I think it really helps to have a separate space and some ritual around it, helping them associate the space, time of day and routines with being still and quiet. Not being allowed to disturb others also helps. (Those who do go to the bigger room to look at books.)

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

Most of our two year olds have a sleep. Luckily we have a separate room where they can sleep.As they head toward three it is often the parents who ask for them to be kept awake so they sleep better on a night. Easier said than done. We had a two year old and mum was adament that he be kept awake but he would just fall asleep where he was. I told mum it was cruel of us to keep him awake and she said to flick the bottom of his feet to keep him awake. Needless to say I told her I would not allow this. I told staff to leave him for half an hour then try to wake him up which was nigh on impossible at times.

Most of our two year olds sleep too. We go with what the child needs and what parents request. Some three's do too. We have a separate room and this does make things easier, especially for those who have been with us since they were babies as they know the routine and the space is familiar to them.

We also have a four year old who pretends to fall asleep at tidy up time... :D

• Like 2

we have had parents in the past that have tried to insist that we keep their child awake or we wake them up I got fed up of trying to explain to parents why sleep is important and that we can not physically stop a child from going to sleep we now give all parents a sheet explaining why sleep is important and why we willnot deprive a child of sleep seems to have finally made sense to the parents.x

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I don't have access to a separate room, so will have to accommodate sleepers in with everyone else and some sort of quiet time. Takes me back to one of my early reception classes - we had relaxation after lunch, yoga stretches and then a whole class lie down - which a few scamps took as an opportunity to have feet wars. I unfortunately had to stay awake!

Most of our two year olds sleep but as we are full day care nursery, we have a sleep room. I imagine it is a struggle for some settings.