Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Missed sessions for holidays

Can I ask, if a child is missing a week of nursery for a holiday and the parent has asked to have the missed sessions at another point during the term, do you accommodate? I am thinking, if we allow this we are opening the flood gates for other parents to request alternative dates for missed sessions for sickness or holiday all over the place. Fairly new to this, so not sure whether we should be flexible, if registers allow or if its best to say that holidays are still chargeable but missed dates are not transferrable.

Thanks

No. Pure and simple, there is absolutely no obligation for you to do so, and as you have said, it would open the floodgates. No. And yes, they still have to pay if they are absent for whatever reason, holidays, sickness, granny has come to stay, daddy has flown to the moon, Jimmy has chicken pox. All chargeable. Rent/mortgage still has to be paid,YOu still have staff, bills, rent etc to pay. If you don't charge for absences, it's another floodgate situation.

• Like 4

There should be a fee policy in place that states how you operate about non attendance for whatever reason... most state fees will be payable and no transfer or swap of sessions

Financially you cannot fill the vacant place for a few days, and the costs do not change , do it for one and it could easily get out of hand with parents wanting to swap sessions for all sorts of reasons..

We had a parental agreement that had this included and they signed agreement on starting the setting.. so they could not claim they had not been told.

We do the same and charge for any absences but some parents have come to us together and asked if they can swap their sessions so Parent A would do Parent B's session and vice versa, not a problem to us as we still get paid the same amount etc :)

It's a no from me too. Also our LA will only fund two weeks term time holiday for children who are funded in each funding year (e.g., funded 2 year old, funded 3 year old, funded 4 year old) so we also have it in our policies that we charge if parents take more than 2 weeks holiday during term time - that way when we are audited and the LA claw back the £s we don't end up paying for it!

• Like 1

I do sometimes wonder if parents/ really understand the implications of allowing this.

No Fredbear, they probably don't and unless our policies (and the way we implement them) make this clear to parents, why should they? Unless you've been involved in running a setting, these kinds of issues probably wouldn't cross your mind at all - I know I wasn't aware of these kinds of things before I started working in my children's nursery! Mind you. Nor was I aware that the owner of the setting had two sets of books which contained 'official' and 'unofficial' children, but that was a long time ago and a whole other story!

The only thing parents are thinking of is their child and their own situation. I have to say that once things are explained to them, most parents do understand though, and they get on board. Usually... ;)

• Like 1

I've just had a parent ask if they can bank their funded sessions for the week they are on holiday, my answer was no, I repeatedly remind them in newsletters we don't do this. She was sooo huffy, and said it's my only break from him. Poor thing! I reminded her we still have to pay staff.

last year I made it very clear that we would not be swapping sessions for children when they do their school visits, I have over 60 going to school in September and it would be an impossible task!