Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fee increase letter

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had a sample fee increase letter I could take a look at?

We are a private nursery. We have been running at £1 per session less than the local children's centres for over a year now, and with the new term and financial year starting we feel now is probably the best time to put up our fees to reflect the demands of inflation on business rates, insurance, staff, utilities etc. We are Ofsted graded good and feel our price should be affordable but also reflect the area where we are and the quality of care we are providing. We are thinking of putting them up to £37 for a full day session, which is still at the bottom end of pricing for other nurseries in the nearby areas.

I have been toying with a letter for some time, however struggling to word it exactly as I would like and want to ensure I cover as much info as possible in the letter, as I know a few parents with have something to say.

Any advice of your experiences with this or a sample letter would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi

I am the same as sunnyday, we too do not explain ourselves (or apologise!) for raising the fees. I feel it is important that the information is factual and to the point, parents are less likely to question it.

We have an annual fee review so parents will normally expect it and our letter is along the following lines:

Dear Parents

Please find details below of the settings fee structure which will commence XXX (I always give a minimum of 3 months notice)

Children over 3

Full Day XXX Morning Session XXX Afternoon Session XXX

Children under 3

Full Day XXX Morning Session XXX Afternoon Session XXX

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support.

ours was always a simple sandwich style with 3 points...

positive = we have kept our fees as low as possible for xx time..

negative = we now find we are in a position where we need to increase fees to xxx

positive - we aim to be competitive and give good childcare at the lowest cost we can afford..

and hope they will continue to support us.

never an apology or reason..felt it wrong to have to justify a need of an increase in order to keep open.We stated what was happening... there will always be some that are not happy, but we did say they were welcome to compare us with other settings costs and make the correct decision for their child.

• Like 1

We don't give a reason and definitely don't apologise. In the past I have done my own price comparison with other local nurseries though - just do show what good value we are, despite a fee increase! :1b Just make sure your info is correct before you give it to parents!

We always warn people that we will be reviewing our fees at our next committee meeting and that they are welcome to attend, to put across their views.

In true style it still doesn't make people come to the meeting, but at least we've warned them that we are reviewing them, then just tell them on the following newsletter what they will be.

We warn and set new fees now for an increase for September.

ours was always a simple sandwich style with 3 points...

positive = we have kept our fees as low as possible for xx time..

negative = we now find we are in a position where we need to increase fees to xxx

positive - we aim to be competitive and give good childcare at the lowest cost we can afford..

and hope they will continue to support us.

never an apology or reason..felt it wrong to have to justify a need of an increase in order to keep open.We stated what was happening... there will always be some that are not happy, but we did say they were welcome to compare us with other settings costs and make the correct decision for their child.

This is the way I do it too.