Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dark evenings and colder weather

zigzag

I made a big pot of mice stew and dumplings for tea and a great big pan of butternut squash soup for lunches for the week. The weather must be getting cooler!! What do you start doing at this time of year when the nights are dark and colder (keep it clean) ;)

• Like 1

I'm guessing it was mean to be 'nice' stew! xD I'm having ratatouille later this week and am contemplating butternut soup for next week's lunch but that's because I have a portion of tomato and a portion of leek and pea soup in the freezer and feel I need something orange to make traffic lights!

As we were walking out tonight one of my children said "It's getting dark, it must be nearly bedtime!" I told the parents they should take advantage! ;)

I love curling up for the evening with a good book, candle light and the fire on. I always have all sorts of plans for crafty things but never get as much done as I'd like!

I make goulash, I like to make dumplings, and I make baked desserts rather than having ice cream or yoggie! Husband loves this time of year just because I do do more proper home cooking.

I eat crumpets - when I went into Tescos on Saturday to buy some they were all gone - looks like other people eat them during the colder darker days too.

Thats quite enough food - husband makes log fires - sometimes a little too warm for those, but he loves to do it (think he should have been a stoker on the Queen Mary really).

today is lamb stew for us.. in the slow cooker now.. may do dumplings.. not sure yet..

it is slow cooker a lot from now on... cheaper cuts of meat, lots of veg, which I find very filling so tend to eat less than in summer... less desserts for us.. or when we have a lovely steamed pudding or baked dessert we have a lighter meal, or have early meal and pudding is supper..

Log fire here too.. gets very warm.. not turned the heating on yet as it keeps the house warm , lighting it evenings for a few hours works wonders.

and making the most of these sunny days when we get them.. need to finish putting the garden to bed for winter, as we will not be around to look after it , no planting this autumn.

They've got lamb curry for tea, I've got chicken with pancetta, its been sitting in the fridge with herbs since last night :wub: , might do some pasta with pomodorino tomatoes and garlic bread.

I havent made a stew yet, but my soup is very stew like just not beef.

Heating's on here but I keep turning the radiators off, they like the heating I dont! :rolleyes:

:o Mice stew - oh I'll give that one a miss :blink: only joking - have read the 'explanation'......

Lots of comfort food is definitely required to get me through the winter........like Inge I favour a slow cooker meal or three :D Was this forum that led me to buying a slow cooker in the first place........now where is the thread with the all the fab recipes - might have to have a little look at that! :1b

The rather gorgeous PH was making a rice pudding the other day - haven't made one for ages - best I do that then (no one mention rice pudding in Cait's earshot though she 'hates' them! xD )

The rather gorgeous PH was making a rice pudding the other day - haven't made one for ages - best I do that then (no one mention rice pudding in Cait's earshot though she 'hates' them! xD )

BLEURGH!!!!!

Green face icon!!

• Like 2

kiddie got slow cooker chicken tonight (love my slow cooker) also made a broccoli and a carrot and coriander soup this weekend ;) - i'm off for a Chinese :D

And I'm hoping the anaesthetic in my gum will have worn off sufficiently to enable me to enjoy the Chinese by 8 o'clock! See you later! xx

Feel I have to put a vote for rice pudding in! But I don't make mine with skin - that would make me cringe. Mine is either my mum's recipe (very 'thin', not too sweet, delicious hot or cold with drinking chocolate powder or a spoon of raspberry jam) or my Mexican rice pudding recipe (thick, creamy, lemony, cinnamon, raisiny!) but NO skin.

As for semolina - I confess to buying some at the weekend just to give my English muffins that authentic coating!

• Like 1