Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS - keeping records

We haven't 'done' any DBS yet :o :blink: goodness hope I'm not making a huge mistake here - my thinking is that I would only 'do' if we had a change of staff???

I do know, however, that original CRB record should not be on site (blowed if I know why :ph34r:xD ) but you need to have the number to hand.......

Please, please, pretty please someone else tell me that they are still working on their original 'Police Checks'.........

• Like 2

When OFSTED came out to see us in April, she asked to see my business partners and my CRB disclosures and told us they should be onsite. We didn't think they needed to be as OFSTED did the checks in the first place.

We have been told it is an offense to photocopy a CRB disclosure (unfortunately our previous setting did this) and that we should just keep a record of the number and date of the disclosure.

Hope this helps

We use TMG and their policy (which you had to adopt to use them) stated that CRB was to be recorded and then CRB itself destroyed after 6 months. They used to provide a record sheet so that you could record the number on it and the date destroyed too.

Haven't used DBS yet - managed to squeeze two apprentice CRB clearances through just before the deadline date in June after which time the issue of £s would have come into play!

• 3 weeks later...

We have had an inspection today and the inspector was happy with the following:

I have one A4 sheet with the staff listed, alongside their address, D.O.B, CRB/DBS number, date obtained and the company it was done through e.g. TMGCRB :-)

I have one A4 sheet with the staff listed, alongside their address, D.O.B, CRB/DBS number, date obtained and the company it was done through e.g. TMGCRB :-)

I also record who made the DBS check, assuming that meant me, the manager, not the company I did it through!

What about name of references and dates they was taken - do you put that on your sheet? I have a list like yours, but don't know what how much detail is needed regarding references.

We had agreement from Ofsted to keep staff files off site for a while, but when the inspector came we had to send for the files so she could look through them and she wanted to see the references we had taken up, etc. This was quite a few years ago and fortunately in the days of the two day visit so we got the files for the second day, but one of the requirements of keeping the files off site was that we would access them for an inspector on the day requested if s/he wanted.

On the DBS aspect, we used to have a simple sheet of paper on which each person's name was recorded, alongside their role, certificate number and the date it was issued. Three separate Ofsted inspectors were happy with that as was TMG who had been our umbrella company and who at one point wanted to know how we kept the info they gave us.