Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

extended time off work informing ofsted

On Monday I was diagnosed with cancer of the womb and I need to have a full hysterectomy, so I will need to have up to three months off of work. As to manager would I need to inform ofsted that I will be away from the setting for that amount of time. I have a deputy and 3rd in charge who run the nursery when I am off or sick.

Thank you in advance I am trying to get everything sorted before I have to have time off work

Karen I'm so sad to hear your news. I have no advice to offer about Ofsted - but I just wanted to send you every single positive wish I possibly can.

I know that the practicalities of getting ready to leave your setting in good hands whilst you convalesce are probably uppermost in your mind at the moment (and a good way of focusing on other things), but remember we're here for you whenever you need us.

Take care,

Mx

Just to back up what Happymaz has said really, please remember we are all here to support you when you feel like letting off steam, family are wonderful, but can be difficult to tell your darkest, wildest thoughts sometimes. There are a number of practitioners on here who have also been diagnosed with cancer in one form or another so they will be eager to help you too.

Maybe I would inform Ofsted as a courtesy, but if your Deputy and others are of significant level and you remain in ratio I don't see why you should have to inform them, afterall, why else do we need a deputy if not for situations which find that the main Manager is unable to be present.

Hi Karen I am so sorry to hear your news March of last year I had that same news. It is a big shock and like myself you have thought of practical ways of dealing with work. I informed Ofsted to be on the safe side and my deputy was made acting manager I also informed our local authority so that everything was organised before taking sick leave. I found focusing on this really helped me and I panicked about my staff but they did great. I have yet to go back to work because of complications but 3 weeks ago they gave me the all clear it is a hard struggle but with good support you can get through . I had valuable support and help from the forum and offer mine if you should need it .

sue xxx

• Like 5

I have yet to go back to work because of complications but 3 weeks ago they gave me the all clear it is a hard struggle but with good support you can get through .

Great news, suewhit! xx

• Like 2

Hi wellerkaren I'm really sorry to hear your news and sending warm healing wishes your way! I think you do have to inform Ofsted from my experience they are fairly strict about these things. You can do it by email as this still counts as in writing and it doesn't have to be long email. At any rate you would be covered and can focus on you and getting well rather than wondering about work. take care xxx

Just lots of good wishes and vibes for you - everyone else has done the advice!

Keep smiling and please remember we are all here and rooting for you. Pop in from time to time (or more often, if you feel able!) to let us know how you're doing.

S x

Firstly sending you and all the other members virtual hugs, that are or have been through this dreadful curse.

On a positive note I have been at two race for life 5k run/walks today and have been totally blown away by all the very special people there.

I was volunteering by selling Gerbera flowers and I hope we have raised lots of money for more research.

The phrase used today was " Cancer wer'e coming to get you" stay strong and don't forget we are all here for you.:)

Sorry just to add I think a call to Ofsted is a good idea.:)

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

Hello wellerkaren

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I am sending positive thoughts. Hope all goes well.

I think as far as OFSTED goes they do require notification if a manager or officer will be off for an extended period of time (which 3 months is). I was at a training course only the other day that covered this.

Take care and please keep us updated as to how your getting on xx

yes, I let Ofsted, the LEA, parents, lead teacher,area senco everyone I could think of that I was dancing with the cancer genie.

If you need someone to talk to ( though mine was breast cancer, but I do have a friend who has recently been treated for cancer of the womb), please feel free to pm me....nothing is taboo, so let me know if i can help. I wish you luck and strength fighting this b'stard. Remember, YOU have cancer, IT does not have you. Don't let it rule your life, just give it everything you and your medical team have got xxxxxxxx

• Like 1

Guest Spiral

Wishing you a speedy recovery and not too much stress. I was told by my Ofsted officer that they do need to know if your off sick for any period of time that will be longer than three weeks, so maybe just call them and ensure they have their box ticked!

Best of luck, big virtual hug

Spiral x