Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So that was 2012. . . . . . .

Scarlettangel

As 2012 comes to a close I am aware that for me it has brought professional and personal highs and lows, some of which were unexpected and unwanted.

My family friends and I started the year with a big fancy dress party to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. It was a wonderful night that I constantly think of because after that life threw up some not so nice things.

My best friends dad died and another childhood friend was told she had ovarian cancer in early February.

I had surgery early in March for a lump that I was told time and time again was nothing. 37 stitches in my face and a diagnosis of cancer almost makes me smile because all I was really worried about was having my hair shaved for them to get at the lump efficiently.

A horrible scary time after the surgery whilst my family and I waited to hear if the body scan revealed where the cancer had gone or not gone.

While I waited for my results my friend who had been told she had ovarian cancer found she did not have it!

What great celebrations ensued when we then also found my cancer had not gone to any other parts in my body.

I returned to work to face an acting head who made the whole of my summer term a battle ground.

But in May I found I had passed my EYPS!

I also was treated to a fabulous birthday. . . . a day that saw me cry so many times because of how grateful I was for my life and for my friends and family.

I also got tickets to see soccer aid and Robbie and the very lovely Gerard Butler.

During the summer holidays I think the surgery and cancer diagnosis hit me. In the excitement of finding that the cancer had not spread I didn't process the original cancer diagnosis. Because I hadn't needed chemo or follow up treatment I think I tried to forget about it.

September and a return to work to a new Head who has not taken the time to even discuss my role with me, an Ofsted, an ECERs audit a worry about low numbers in nursery and the threat of being made redundant have made a mentally stressful term.

I have returned to uni though this term to complete my BA, I so enjoy the challenge to my brain.

My son is still enjoying his uni life although my daughter is moving home following a relationship breakdown. They are both healthy good people whom I am grateful for.

Anyway, now I have rambled on I am wondering how 2012 was for you all and would you say it was a good one?

(As a little added note I want to say that the support I received on here when I first found out I had cancer was something I am very grateful and thankful for x)

• Like 7

Guest tinkerbell

what a year you have had...you have a wonderful family and are a strong woman. I hope 2013 is a happy, healthy and suitably challenging one for you...good luck with your studies you will complete your BA and then perhaps different doors will open for you? would you move from your setting? it doesn't sound like a good place to be. good luck Tinkerbell

Edited by tinkerbell

oh scarlettangel it really has been a challenging year for you but you seem to have had the angels watching over you and yours, life is a constant learning journey and so glad that it is ending positively for you and hope that positivity stays with you and yours throughout 2013.x

as for mine - reached my first year as Supervisor with its challenges but glad I made the decision and the support I too have received on here has helped me immensely - my daughter turned 18 last week and is in a much better place than I was her at her age- thankfully. my son started high school and has not had the easiest of starts but getting there now, my partner of 5 years has changed my life for the better and been a fab support .

I wish my new year to bring happiness, meaningful friendships and health for all of those I love and if i can fit it in more me time !!!

• Like 2

Thanks folks!

Tinkerbell I feel I had other challenges to take on in my setting, like adding 2 year old nursery to my wraparound care services but right now I feel it is all out of my hands.

My husband has told me to sit tight and be made redundant if needs be, but I don't like the uncertainty in my working life.

I am keeping an eye out for an opportunity but its difficult not knowing exactly what the new head is thinking. . . Ah well what will be will be. . .

My New Year wishes:

• for my daughter's baby to be born fit and well ..........there have been some worries, so here's to April when we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief
  • for me to be more organised
  • for me to get to my 'O Inspection' and pass with flying colours...................no, not THOSE 'O People'.........my Oncologist! I have an appointment for 14th November, which will be my 5 year pass mark..........if no symptoms have presented themselves, I shouldn't have to see her again!! Fingers well and truly crossed until then.
  • To be more physically active

Other than that, just to have a lovely setting where parents pay their fees on time/don't send in poorly children/don't blame me when their child has vomited and has to be sent home/o people arrive and tell us we have a wonderful setting :blink: :D

Happy New Year my lovelies..................I feel it's going to be good!

• Like 9

My New Year wishes:

• for my daughter's baby to be born fit and well ..........there have been some worries, so here's to April when we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief everything crossed for her
  • for me to be more organised I think that every year!
  • for me to get to my 'O Inspection' and pass with flying colours...................no, not THOSE 'O People'.........my Oncologist! I have an appointment for 14th November, which will be my 5 year pass mark..........if no symptoms have presented themselves, I shouldn't have to see her again!! Fingers well and truly crossed until then. everything crossed for you!
  • To be more physically active I think that every year!!!

Other than that, just to have a lovely setting where parents pay their fees on time/don't send in poorly children/don't blame me when their child has vomited and has to be sent home/o people arrive and tell us we have a wonderful setting :blink: :D

Happy New Year my lovelies..................I feel it's going to be good!

• Like 1

thanks for starting this thread Scarletangel. Its good to look back at the highs and lows of the past year and reflect on them. You have had your fair shares of down moments I can see.

For me, 2012, is definitely a year I will be glad to see the back of (and one of the reasons I have been very quiet in the forum this year).

On the plus side, Ive made another year of relatively good health, but on the downside, was then turned down for an operation I've been waiting 6 years for because I wasn't well enough! Frustrating!

I still have a job, and am so far safe for another year. Major redundancies are coming but not until 2014. But I know how lucky I am to still have one.

The gardening year has been a disaster, and Ive not spent nearly as much time there as I would have liked. But at least our stream didn't flood, even when all the local roads did.

So what would I like to achieve in 2013? Well I don't do resolutions, but that doesn't mean you can't make plans. I would love to be here this time next year and be able to say:

• Ive had surgery which has changed my life
  • I still have a job, or a job to go to if I lose my current one.
  • Ive started writing a book I've been nagged to write for several years now.
  • I finished (and had published!) an article I am co writing for an academic journal.
  • Ive started work on my 'Zen garden'
  • Ive met lots of forum peeps at the FSF birthday event

Well there we are, its in print now.

I hope if you had a great 2012, you will cherish it and have lovely memories, and if 2012 was pretty rotten to you, that 2013 will see things pick up for you and your loved ones.

Mundia xx

• Like 7

I like the idea of new years wishes Narnia rather than resolutions!

So, mine will include:

• My son passing his third and final year at uni
  • My daughter finding a male to make all her dreams come true
  • For me to lose weight healthily
  • For there to be no further sign of cancer
  • to be happy in my work
  • and for this to be a GREAT year for family and friends

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year :D

I like the idea of wishes instead of resolutions too!

My dearest wish for 2013 is that the husband and two teenage daughters who (five months on) remain devastated at the loss of a wonderful wife and mum find life easier to deal with.

I wish my son a long and happy marriage and that he and his wife will be blessed with the baby so they very much want.

• Like 1

Well for 2012 for me I didn't meet all my wishes. From what I remember I did achieve a 2:2 in my BE.d (Hons) in Education and graduated just less than a month ago. I also got that devil called grade C in Maths but didn't get it in science. I am still in the same job, never did find a new job. The saddest part of this year was my dad's younger sister loosing the battle of cancer.

So to my wishes for 2013 are:

To try and do this GCSE Biology to try and get a grade C. (Its turning out more difficult than expected, the place I am doing the tutoring hasn't even bothered to contact me to see how I am going. I am still trying to finish the first unit, the second part of the unit is more practical based so will have to just read up on it instead.)

So If I don't get that maybe actually sit the course or a science course at college, even it if it means giving up my guide unit.

To attempt to find a new job, maybe look at HLTA posts. Teacher training can wait until I get all my qualifications in order.

To learn a new skill, not sure yet what to do yet.

It is nice to hear of how your year (all of you) went by and what you would wish for this new year 2013. When I read your posts, I cannot complain. There have been ups and downs in my life and with family and friends, some sad life departures as well. Thankfully I have had my husband nearby all the time :-) I am amazed how many cancer cases we have had and I wonder why it is like this. One of my wishes is that the cure for cancer can be found. Best wishes for all of you! :-)

• Like 2

Well 2011 was a dreadful year for me for various reasons but which had me in hospital with blood clots in my lungs after a long haul flight barely able to walk more than a few paces without stopping to catch my breath ( doctors said my weight was probably a contributing factor) following that I had 6 months of warfarin and so many blood tests I lost count!. 2012 on the other hand has been a good year, motivated by it being my 40th year And my health scare, i took myself in hand and have lost 6 stone and 5 dress sizes since beginning of jan 12, began running for the first time in may and on boxing day completed my first race ( at plod pace!) I am very lucky in that I am happy in my work as a reception teacher in a lovely school with supportive staff and have a lovely hubby and 3 gorgeous healthy children. 2012 has been such a bad year for so many people around me with illness, bereavement and separation. This life gives so many ups and downs and we never know what's around the corner do we?

My wishes for 2013

That my best friend who lost her mum last year manages to find some happiness this year

That my friend expecting twins this year has a healthy pregnancy this time

And for me to complete a 10 km race and a half marathon by the end of the year!

Here's hoping that 2013 brings health and happiness To you all

Debbie x

Well 2011 was a dreadful year for me for various reasons but which had me in hospital with blood clots in my lungs after a long haul flight barely able to walk more than a few paces without stopping to catch my breath ( doctors

said my weight was probably a contributing

factor) following that I had 6 months of warfarin

and so many blood tests I lost count!. 2012 on

the other hand has been a good year, motivated

by it being my 40th year And my health scare, i

took myself in hand and have lost 6 stone and 5

dress sizes since beginning of jan 12, began

running for the first time in may and on boxing

day completed my first race ( at plod pace!) I am

very lucky in that I am happy in my work as a

reception teacher in a lovely school with

supportive staff and have a lovely hubby and 3

gorgeous healthy children. 2012 has been such

a bad year for so many people around me with

illness, bereavement and separation. This lifegives so many ups and downs and we never

know what's around the corner do we?

My wishes for 2013

That my best friend who lost her mum last year manages to find some happiness this year

That my friend expecting twins this year has a

healthy pregnancy this time

And for me to complete a 10 km race and a half

marathon by the end of the year!

Here's hoping that 2013 brings health and

happiness To you all

Debbie x

Go you! What a fabulous achievement! Good luck with 10km/ half marathon!

• Like 1

It's going to be a sad year for our family, we go into the year knowing that my father in law has only a few weeks of life left, and mother in law could 'go' at any moment. We've been expecting it since August. So after a 'high' year last year with our son's wonderful wedding, this coming year is going to be hugely different for us all.

Sorry for a sad post, I wish it could be different.

It's going to be a sad year for our family, we go into the year knowing that my father in law has only a few weeks of life left, and mother in law could 'go' at any moment. We've been expecting it since August. So after a 'high' year last year with our son's wonderful wedding, this coming year is going to be hugely different for us all.

Just sending lots of love xxx

Will be thinking of you Cait. My nanna passed away in august after a long battle with cancer, so I know how hard it is to see.

Sending lots of love xx

Absolutely couldn't read and run, lost for words that are any use though - sending love, hugs and thoughts to you and your family x

Joining in here, with a few reflections of my own.

It has been a fairly quiet year, I suppose - but I'm grateful for that after the turmoil of losing my Dad in September 2011. One really life changing thing was my resignation from a job that had turned from bliss to purgatory over the last few years. I finished at the end of August and haven't regretted it for a moment!

I am able to spend much more time with my Mum (herself not in the best of health) and my husband of nearly 40 years. I don't wake up every day with that awful feeling of doom and can laugh again, like I used to. No more stress headaches!! I have also finally managed to make good a promise I made to Helen over twelve months ago ;) . My son and his girlfriend returned safe and sound from 6 months travelling in Thailand and Australia; they have since moved in together. My daughter and her partner have decided to get married, possibly this autumn or maybe next summer - this is great news as she and her husband split up 3 or 4 years ago and we were anxious about her long term future - not that marriage is everything, but we so want her to be happy. Her partner is a lovely chap who has fitted into the family really well.

This year will see some great events - both my husband and I turn 60 this year and we celebrate our Ruby wedding in July. We have the FSF celebration in April - so it looks like being a great year!

Here's wishing you all well! And special hugs for Cait x

Sue

• Like 4

2012 has been a hard year for us, my husband was made redundant in October 2011 and decided to buy a fishing boat and fish for a living!! this meant a huge increase to our mortgage and no idea of what income we may have each month. I am so pleased for him as he is finally doing something that he loves but it has come with a huge amount of worry and stress. But on the positive side I have two healthy sons who are both doing well at school and I hope continue to thrive and chose the right path in life. My darling Dad is back to normal after a stroke and an operation at the age of 81, my Mum is the most fit and active person that I know and I hope I am like that at 77, she continues to embarce life, even though her heart is broken since my sister died five years ago. I am so grateful for my own good health and try not to take it for granted.

I wish you all well in 2013.

• Like 2

It IS sad.............it is. But you know it is coming, so these last few weeks or months are a time to embrace each other, to build on the love you clearly have for each other and to ensure that every day, every moment, counts. My dad's last few weeks were probably the 'best' of his life, certainly in respects of his attitude towards me. He had time to say 'sorry' for a lot of hurt that he had caused, and I had time to let him know i forgave him. In fact, we had so much fun during his time in hospital that other patients were questioning why he was in there! Once home again, things were still good and we were with him to the end, which was peaceful and serene. I wish you luck with all of this, my dear, lovely friend. It won't be easy, but bank those memories safely away in your heart. Here's to a peaceful, happy end of life for them both, whenever that moment comes xx

• Like 3

thanks for starting this thread Scarletangel. Its good to look back at the highs and lows of the past year and reflect on them. You have had your fair shares of down moments I can see.

For me, 2012, is definitely a year I will be glad to see the back of (and one of the reasons I have been very quiet in the forum this year).

On the plus side, Ive made another year of relatively good health, but on the downside, was then turned down for an operation I've been waiting 6 years for because I wasn't well enough! Frustrating!

I still have a job, and am so far safe for another year. Major redundancies are coming but not until 2014. But I know how lucky I am to still have one.

The gardening year has been a disaster, and Ive not spent nearly as much time there as I would have liked. But at least our stream didn't flood, even when all the local roads did.

So what would I like to achieve in 2013? Well I don't do resolutions, but that doesn't mean you can't make plans. I would love to be here this time next year and be able to say:

• Ive had surgery which has changed my life
  • I still have a job, or a job to go to if I lose my current one.
  • Ive started writing a book I've been nagged to write for several years now.
  • I finished (and had published!) an article I am co writing for an academic journal.
  • Ive started work on my 'Zen garden'
  • Ive met lots of forum peeps at the FSF birthday event

Well there we are, its in print now.

I hope if you had a great 2012, you will cherish it and have lovely memories, and if 2012 was pretty rotten to you, that 2013 will see things pick up for you and your loved ones.

Mundia xx

Mundia, I have my spare set of fingers crossed that you get your operation this year xxx Write that book............I'd buy it!! :)

I big hug for you Cait, as well as for your family. <3

2012 has been a hard year for us, my husband was made redundant in October 2011 and decided to buy a fishing boat and fish for a living!! this meant a huge increase to our mortgage and no idea of what income we may have each month. I am so pleased for him as he is finally doing something that he loves but it has come with a huge amount of worry and stress. But on the positive side I have two healthy sons who are both doing well at school and I hope continue to thrive and chose the right path in life. My darling Dad is back to normal after a stroke and an operation at the age of 81, my Mum is the most fit and active person that I know and I hope I am like that at 77, she continues to embarce life, even though her heart is broken since my sister died five years ago. I am so grateful for my own good health and try not to take it for granted.

I wish you all well in 2013.

Hi Zigzag... I am glad for the nice things that have happened to you and your family and I hope your husband gets the chance to find a job that he likes. Best wishes.

It IS sad.............it is. But you know it is coming, so these last few weeks or months are a time to embrace each other, to build on the love you clearly have for each other and to ensure that every day, every moment, counts. My dad's last few weeks were probably the 'best' of his life, certainly in respects of his attitude towards me. He had time to say 'sorry' for a lot of hurt that he had caused, and I had time to let him know i forgave him. In fact, we had so much fun during his time in hospital that other patients were questioning why he was in there! Once home again, things were still good and we were with him to the end, which was peaceful and serene. I wish you luck with all of this, my dear, lovely friend. It won't be easy, but bank those memories safely away in your heart. Here's to a peaceful, happy end of life for them both, whenever that moment comes xx

Oh, Narnia, you have brought tears to my eyes and I am glad you and your dad had the chance to reconciliate. Hugs!

Thankyou for sharing peeps, my wishes are thank to Cait who posted this yesterday are to at least remember a few of these every once in while

Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio .

"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 42 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I've ever written.

My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short – enjoy it..

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month.

6. You don't have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.

7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.

8. Save for retirement starting with your first pay check.

9. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

10. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

11. It's OK to let your children see you cry.

12. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

13. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it...

14 Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

15. Get rid of anything that isn't useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.

16. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.

17. It's never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.

18. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.

19. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

20. Over prepare, then go with the flow.

21. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.

22. The most important sex organ is the brain.

23. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

24. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'

25. Always choose life.

26. Forgive but don’t forget.

27. What other people think of you is none of your business.

28. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

29. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

30. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does..

31. Believe in miracles.

32. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

33. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

34. Your children get only one childhood.

35. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.

36. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

37. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

38. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have not what you need.

39. The best is yet to come...

40. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

41. Yield.

42. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."

I would like to make a wish that all carer's get a 'Thank you' in some way this year. I read here of the number caring for elderly relatives, which can be a difficult and very sad task at times. It is something we don't generally post about, but is going on in the background of our lives. I think Sunnydays signature ' Be kind to others for each of us is fighting some kind of battle' is something we all need to remember.

So.. THANK YOU all you wonderful people who spend your time caring for others.

• Like 3