Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pack away setting- dividing the room

Hi all,

Our improvement advisor has been in recently and has said we should be defining the different sections of the room better. At the minute we have our home corner and cosy corner sectioned off but that's it.

We are a pack away setting so the 2 of us have to set up the room each morning.

We haven't got funds to purchase room dividers and such.

How do other pack away setting divide the room into different areas? Any ideas or even pictures would be most appreciated!

Thank-You

We used to have some cardboard tri fold screens each side had a window, square, circle, triangle. I think we paid around £25 for them and they lasted about two years.

We now have some small barriers about 2 foot high and 3 foot long.

If you cant afford to buy anything what about hanging fabric from the ceiling,? Our playleader has just attached a piece of fabric to a hoop and hangs that up over the book corner.

We dont have very well defined areas now, not sure why it changed but Ofsted and our local advisors havent said anything about it.

I took this this morning just before the children arrived

:1b

post-3139-0-69364300-1352928400_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

We use tables as well as dividers/screens to help define the hall.

We did try to use dividers to section areas off - but the 2yrs olds just move them or pull them down if they want to get to an area!!

I/we are on the whole happy with how this works for us, and found that trying to screen off to many areas meant blocking 'visibility' -so not so good on the safety aspect. and we now just tie the 2yr olds to chairs to stop them wrecking the place! xD :lol:

xxx

• Like 5

We have shifted away too from screens etc., although I use two to screen off the quiet book area so it is a really cosy space there with bean bags and throws and cushions. We zoned things into different areas, so the messy stuff is near the loos so that the children can go and wash/dry themselves off, and the physical stuff gets done right down the end of the hall away from the quiet area.

Have a look at the Community Playthings site, they have a brochure about "space" you may be able to nick some ideas from them. Also Communication Friendly Spaces, you should be able to get some good ideas from them too

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Our improvement advisor has been in recently..........

How do other pack away setting divide the room into different areas?

Thank-You

. Hi kic 106, I close my eyes.......click my heels together three times and say.......' I wish I was in Kansas...'

...... when I open them there is STILL this big empty space waiting to be magically transformed into an all singing, all dancing, purpose built pre-school!!

Will be interested to hear what cheap/free ideas the clever folks on here come up with.....think we share the same IA !

• Like 3

and we now just tie the 2yr olds to chairs to stop them wrecking the place! xD :lol:

xxx

I knew someone many years ago who witnessed that at one nursery she went to while training. They had their aprons on them but also on the chair

so they wouldnt move off with the paint brushes. :ph34r:

• Like 3

Do you know what, klc106, it doesn't matter one jot! You set your room up the way you want it to be, the way YOU know it works and the way the children like it. If the children want a move around, then fine (mine love to move stuff round) all you need to be able to do is justify the way you have it when someone says 'do it my way'. I don't find that 'areas' work, I like children to take things where they want to use them, so Jenny may want to take books from the book trolley over to the 'home corner', and Suzie may want to use the blocks over by the sand to make a little wall to stop dropped sand spreading. You know what I mean? They are advisers, they don't work at your setting day in and day out, they just provide you with ideas to help you to reflect on your practice. Sometimes you'll take them up, and other times it's ok to say 'No, I do it this way, because .....'

• Like 11

We are packaway too. We zone some areas with the hall chairs with fabric made to slot over like a settee cover if that makes sense. Sorry don't have any pics at the mo but will try to attach some for you. Our snack area has the chairs but with the tablecloth style cloth that you can buy off the roll at places like Dunelm or The Range hope this helps.:)

• Like 1

I knew someone many years ago who witnessed that at one nursery she went to while training. They had their aprons on them but also on the chair

so they wouldnt move off with the paint brushes. :ph34r:

My husband was tied to the chair when he was very young :( :( It has had a lasting affect on him :(

xx

Do you know what, klc106, it doesn't matter one jot! You set your room up the way you want it to be, the way YOU know it works and the way the children like it. If the children want a move around, then fine (mine love to move stuff round) all you need to be able to do is justify the way you have it when someone says 'do it my way'. I don't find that 'areas' work, I like children to take things where they want to use them, so Jenny may want to take books from the book trolley over to the 'home corner', and Suzie may want to use the blocks over by the sand to make a little wall to stop dropped sand spreading. You know what I mean? They are advisers, they don't work at your setting day in and day out, they just provide you with ideas to help you to reflect on your practice. Sometimes you'll take them up, and other times it's ok to say 'No, I do it this way, because .....'

Thanks Cait. Our children also love moving things around to different areas and we think its lovely. we have also had positive comments from parents and visitors. I think I need to be more confident in telling our improvement advisor why we do things the way we do!

• Like 4

Thanks for posting pics - we often have a change around - sometimes it works sometimes it does'nt - I will try to take some pics of ours - we don't have dividers but we do move a large box to seperate area as very large 'L'shaped hall and we have found this beneficial and gives an extra surface for trains, puzzles or whatever, We are making dividers from curtain wire and fabric lengths - always on going

reallu interesting to see others settings :P

we used to be quite happy with children moving resources from one area to another but we still felt we needed to zone the hall to encourage children to do their running about outside. We bought some cheap hanging clothes rails and then constructed them at their lowest level without the wheels on and attached a square of fabric across them. They were light enough to lift into the cupboard and small enough to stash against the wall in the said cupboard. In case you can't picture the things I mean they were like these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8757049.htm - we just didn't make them that high.

We used to be a pack away setting and we used office screens. They pushed together and took up very little space in our cupboard. They also provided great display boards as we were unable to display work without them. They were about £100 each but we managed to buy one get one free. I think the company was called panel warehouse.

also may I ask how long does it take you to set up in the morning??

2 staff x 1hr 15 mins

1 staff x 45 mins

2 staff x 15 mins

total man hours 3 hrs 45 mins for a 3 hr session........something seriously wrong here?? :(. An enabling environment? Tell me about it

...........follow, follow, follow follow...follow the yellow brick road!! what larks eh Pip, what larks! : )

2 staff x 1hr 15 mins

1 staff x 45 mins

2 staff x 15 mins

total man hours 3 hrs 45 mins for a 3 hr session........something seriously wrong here?? :(. An enabling environment? Tell me about it

...........follow, follow, follow follow...follow the yellow brick road!! what larks eh Pip, what larks! : )

Snap! ours equals 3.75 man hours too!!!!

............ although I'm very seriously thinking of 'recording' the whole set up time - just to evidence our reflective practice/planning around the child/appraisels/staff meetings/ect, all the things we never seem to have time to write up! :1b

• Like 1

also may I ask how long does it take you to set up in the morning??

I get there at 7:30am and my deputy at 8:00. The children come in at 9:00. We set up the main room, outside and put all pictures on the wall and usually have around 15 minutes spare before the children come in. :1b

Guest pamgreen

You have my sympathies I have been in a purpose built building for 5 years before that we were in a village hall for 17 years you deserve a medal, you have done a days work before the children arrive. It is frustrating when people try and tell you what to do but don't understand just how hard you work. We did used to involve the children in packing away it was wonderful to see how they worked as a team. X

We are a pack away nursery

1 staff comes in at 6-7 brings out tables and chairs and displays

2 staff come in at 8.30

2 staff come in at 9am

Children come in

1 staff comes in at 9.15

1 staff comes in at 9.30

1 staff comes in at 10.00

Children leave at 12.30pm between 5 -7 staff depending on the day set to tidy up - and it takes forever with quibbles on who does what - I am doing a rota at the moment on who does the mopping. Any ideas!!

we work out of a community centre and use their chairs (covered in duvet covers) and movable self help drawers mainly. we start at 9.15am.

2 staff 1t 8.15

1 at 8.30

2 at 8.45 and only just get it all done with outdoors being pack away as well!

Edited by mollypiper

• 9 months later...

5 staff arrive at 8.00am to do a full set up starting with a bare floor - all indoor kit is in a basement store room down a flight of stairs so everything has to be carried up including tables, chairs, role play panels, book box, dressing up rack, writing trolley, painting trolley, construction trolley, mats and table top equipment.

We set up the kitchen, main hall and porch (clean loos if necessary from previous hall users!) all from scratch and do as much prep as we can for lunch.

Large garden is also set up from scratch.

Children (30 of which when we are full) come in at 9.00am and if we are lucky we can just about grab a cup of tea before we open

We are a pack away setting and like mollypiper use the chairs in the hall with covers made to fit the chairs in our layout with movable drawers , would like more of these but church want allow it. Four staff are paid 15 minutes to set up! We start at 9. Each staff member has an area to set up. We rotate this termly. Several staff members come in early which helps otherwise we wouldn't manage it.

Three staff in at 8, 2 staff in at 8.30 and 1 at 9.00am.

All help to set up including kitchen area as well as all safety checks, we are a pack away setting so done each day.

Can't think of a better way to keep fit, it's like moving house each day.

Very very expensive but have you looked at the community playthings website.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)