Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn Woodland Display Ideas

Froglet

We have a corridor in school which is sort of our library as well as going past the staff room and head's office. It's sort of become the unofficial display area for my class as we do lots of big paintings which I can never quite bear to throw away ;) It's currently home to a giant Elmer, characters from Slowly, Slowly, Slowly said the sloth, assorted zoo creatures and an enormous whale complete with Jonah about to be eaten!

Anyway, the head has decided it needs a revamp and I'm going to get to play! He wants it big, with lots of impact and I've thought of doing an 'Autumn Woodland'. Each class in our school is named after a woodland animal so I'm planning to put pictures of them in there.

Ideas I've come up with so far include:

trees made out of painted textured wallpaper.

lots of leaves in gorgeous autumn colours

will include some leaf prints and leaf rubbings too I think

the animals

bowls of conkers, pine cones on the window sills in there.

papier mache pumpkins (I know they're not technically woodland but thought they'd be a good different technique)

flocks of birds flying south across the ceiling - not sure how we could make the birds yet - toilet roll tubes maybe?

I want to come up with a cool way of making sparkly spiders webs so need to do a bit of experimenting.

So, what do you think? Any more ideas?!

• Like 1

From memory, sparkly spider webs can be done like window clings - dribble pva glue over something non-stick in spider web patterns, possible use a glass up turned bowl, then sprinkle with glitter. When pva dries you should be able to peel it off.

how about some toadstools and mushrooms in your woodland scene.

• Like 2

From memory, sparkly spider webs can be done like window clings - dribble pva glue over something non-stick in spider web patterns, possible use a glass up turned bowl, then sprinkle with glitter. When pva dries you should be able to peel it off.

how about some toadstools and mushrooms in your woodland scene.

Great ideas - thank you!

We could have those proper 'fairy toadstools' - red with white spots.

I also thought of putting book characters that live in woods into it somewhere but could only come up with Stickman and Owl babies and I had Owl Babies up there not long ago!

I have one 'proper' display board on the wall in there - any thoughts about what could go on that?

Most other stuff will go on walls so it really does feel as if you're walking through a wood.

Edited by HelenD26

Ooh, a couple of years ago we took part in a paper bag toadstool thing, if you google paper bag mushrooms you should find it. I can't get my little grey cells to come up with the name, but it was great fun. Easy to do too.

http://dougrhodehamel.wordpress.com/category/1-spore-project/

Edited to add, Spore project of course!

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

An old fish tank with a rotting log, dead leaves, a bit of soil and whatever creatures arrive with it. Woodlouse, spiders, snails? Maybe keep it for a few days and return it to the wild.

Percy the Park keeper, Three bears, Hansel and Gretel

• Like 1

How cool are those mushrooms?! Anyone know where I can get brown paper lunchbags from?

Rea - great character ideas and love the real wildlife suggestion.

I'm wondering about making the display board 'wordy' Maybe some autumn poems written on to crumpled and 'teabagged' 'old' paper?

How cool are those mushrooms?! Anyone know where I can get brown paper lunchbags from?

Rea - great character ideas and love the real wildlife suggestion.

I'm wondering about making the display board 'wordy' Maybe some autumn poems written on to crumpled and 'teabagged' 'old' paper?

i've seen these at local cash and carry, but you would have to buy loads! What about ask McDonalds for some brown paper bags, do they still put takeaways in them I wonder/

i've seen these at local cash and carry, but you would have to buy loads! What about ask McDonalds for some brown paper bags, do they still put takeaways in them I wonder/

I've been googling and just come to the conclusion that I'd have to buy thousands and while I want big - maybe not quite that big! McD's is a good idea.

Their handprints in lots of autumny colours, cut around and used to make a large tree looks good.

I love handprint trees. So, I'm thinking a mixture of 'real' and handprint trees now. Am planning to buy a large roll of textured wallpaper and take out shares in brown paint!

• Like 1

We also did a handprint (whispers) Christmas tree, diff shades of green, hands facing down,staple row of how ever many along bottom, working upto one at top, added lots of decs they,d made, then after hols decs came off and brightly coloured feather birds were added.

I've done the Christmas tree one before - padded it out with newspaper, looked fab!

ooooh :o mouse used the C word :oxD

S'pose this is not the time to mention my fave 'woodland character' Helen? No probably not.........

Re paper bags - ask your parents - might be someone with a contact..........

Mention away - I'd not thought of him. Am very short of sleep at the moment - woke up at half 3 today!

Surely you'll be letting the children find out how to make their own. (Shocked face!)

They discovered that this morning, I've just introduced them to self-service paint in soap dispensers. Much excitement this morning as they gradually discovered that if you squirt a bit of everything on it makes brown! Seriously is there a way to make brown paint? Was wondering if runny mud might be too authentic?

we used to hang garden netting on a board and the children collected leaves etc to weave onto it, or poke into the holes etc...to make the woodland floor effect so it was real materials and textures.. we either did a walk to collect are asked parents to help children find and bring in items..

have you checked the gallery out.. there are a lot of autumn displays there that may give a bit more inspiration

I think we scrunched up paper then stuck it on then painted brown. We had it on the floor with kids working on either side. Was a long time ago now. That class are y6 now!

Seriously is there a way to make brown paint?

Seriously - if you need any brown paint making experts I can send you some from my setting :ph34r: I'm really struggling not to say "please don't mix all the colours, everything's brown now" :ph34r: I know I mustn't - resist, resist, resist xD :lol: xD

• Like 3

Seriously - if you need any brown paint making experts I can send you some from my setting :ph34r: I'm really struggling not to say "please don't mix all the colours, everything's brown now" :ph34r: I know I mustn't - resist, resist, resist xD :lol: xD

Thank goodness it's not just me! Now mine have discovered painting they're painting everything including themselves! Part of me is wondering whether they've actually ever seen paint before! ;) They are also very keen on painting all the boxes from my junk tub but not actually making anything with them - I'm not entirely sure what to do with a drying rack full of brown boxes?!

• Like 1

Thank goodness it's not just me! Now mine have discovered painting they're painting everything including themselves! Part of me is wondering whether they've actually ever seen paint before! ;) They are also very keen on painting all the boxes from my junk tub but not actually making anything with them - I'm not entirely sure what to do with a drying rack full of brown boxes?!

I would send them home! (The boxes that is - I'm not suggesting that you suspend the painters!) :blink: xD

• Like 1

Save them for when you need to build the 3rd little pigs house :P

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure what to do with a drying rack full of brown boxes?!

Bring them out again next time with stickers, glue sticks, glitter, string to thread tubes to make wheels or necklaces, bits and pieces. I've had children work on the same piece of junk for weeks. I let them follow their interests - vehicles, buildings, sparkly things, weapons, breathing apparatus, animals....

H

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)