Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So How Was Your Friday?

Scarlettangel

Well today was my fifth day back at work, Following my 6 weeks off and I lasted until 8.40am when I fell, hit my head and ended up in hospital!!!

I am now sporting a wonderfully purple swollen eye which s going to look great when my EYPS assessor comes to see me on Monday!!

So, how was your day?!

Well since you ask.....rubbish......have been working so hard to support a child in our setting since September with behavioural problems, over and above the call of duty (which I know is standard practice for any committed early years practitioner) to come home to a written (email) complaint from a parent concerning said child - which is just the icing on the cake after yet another tough week. This job sucks!!

Edited by Deb

Well since you ask.....rubbish......have been working so hard to support a child in our setting since September with behavioural problems, over and above the call of duty (which I know is standard practice for any committed early years practitioner) to come home to a written (email) complaint from a parent concerning said child - which is just the icing on the cake after yet another tough week. This job sucks!!

BIg hugs Deb I totally empahtise with you. Rough week for me too, I don't work on Fridays but have spent the day inbetween taking cold remedies and hiding under the duvet feeling physically rubbish to end what has been an emotionally rubbish week!

Things can only get better:-)

Pants! Took father-in-laws dog for a walk with the new extendable lead, he pulled a bit too much and I ended up on my hands and knees in thick mud. I got up to massive pain from the sciatica, the dog had gone through a gap by the gate, I was struggling to open the gate as 2 people came along asking if my dog would be ok with their dog and I was in so much pain I could barely speak to them but I recognised the man from the pub so now he's thinking, 'ignorant woman',. Limped home, took paracetamol and decided after all that no-one was having any tea cooked for them.

Pants! Took father-in-laws dog for a walk with the new extendable lead, he pulled a bit too much and I ended up on my hands and knees in thick mud. I got up to massive pain from the sciatica, the dog had gone through a gap by the gate, I was struggling to open the gate as 2 people came along asking if my dog would be ok with their dog and I was in so much pain I could barely speak to them but I recognised the man from the pub so now he's thinking, 'ignorant woman',. Limped home, took paracetamol and decided after all that no-one was having any tea cooked for them.

Ouch! Lots of rest and TLC the order of the day.

It must be some-kind of funny Friday - I slipped right on my butt!!! I'm in agony now (with glass of wine +choc)

How do children fall over- then are 'up and away' as if nothing happened??? I didn't really hurt myself as such, but every bone in my body seems to ache now?

Sympathies for all other bad day/weekers.

We had a parent complaint too this - one of those really pathetic annoying ones, that you want to write a long winded 'hold no barrs, totally honest' replies..... but you just have to smile sweetly and agree through gritted teeth etc.... xxxx

Sorry to haer you all had a bad day.

Mine was rather bad too. I go to uni on a friday to do my eyps but then a tutor came into us asking if anyone owned a silver ford fiesta? This was mine. He then told me I had left my hand brake off and my car had rolled across the car park into someone elses! Luckily no damage to other car and only a slight scratch on mine! I'm so glad as my car is only 2 weeks old and its brand new out the showroom!

Let's hope we all have a better week next week!

oh dear and to think last Friday was the 13th !!! sorry to hear that some of you have had such a poo friday , mine was actually ok although couple of the staff were out of sorts first thing. Plus side- had a lovely lady for visit with possible view to employ , just hope she accepts :D keep your chin up ladies, put your feet up if you can and recharge for next week , lets hope it holds something better for you all :P x

Edited by lashes2508

I am rather wishing it was Saturday, not Friday.

Had a horrible week full of being manipulated, patronised and openly criticised by school teachers, using UN level diplomacy to get daughter 2 to school and only succeeding on one full day, watching world war three unfold in my house between old dog and new puppy, cleaning up poo and wee of various origins from many and varied places and not succeeding in doing any of the paperwork I desperately need to do to sort out daughter 1's statement.

Tomorrow I am running a 9 hour crèche at a conference for a bunch of children I've never met before who have various level of physical disability. Not sure where I'm going to find the energy but I will.

To cap it all my neighbour (whose house looks like a showhome 24/7) came round to meet the new puppy when my house looked like one of those that Kim and Aggie get to work on. She's lovely but why oh why does she only ever come when the house is a pit? It is clean and tidy sometimes, honest.

Oh rats! Now I've realised I haven't sorted out my invoice and the receipts for the resources I need in order to get paid tomorrow. Better do that before I go to bed.

Here's to a better week all round next week.

oh Rea I love it, will try that technique at my house!! Also love your tag line about dancing!! My crappy Friday was a visit to the hairdressers. I thought my new hair cut looked nice until my teenage child walked through the door and said "Oh my god, you look like grandma"!! Crushed!!

My tip Upsy Daisy is to spray some furniture polish near the front door. Anyone coming in will think you've at least made a start :D

and add to this a hoover placed out somewhere as if just been disturbed in the cleaning... pull it out on way to the door!

Let's hope Saturday is a better day for one and all!

Mind you mine has started way to early (been awake for an hour already) and my eye is almost swollen shut today!

Lovely!

I was called at 4.25 by father-in-law's lifeline because he needed the loo. Got home at 5.50 so Saturday has started badly. :huh:

and add to this a hoover placed out somewhere as if just been disturbed in the cleaning... pull it out on way to the door!

Yep! Do that too xD Love your signature Inge. I read a child will never remember if you had a tidy house but it will remember being told 'wait a minute' whenever it asked you to play.

Edited by Rea

Well I hope you all have a fantastic weekend after the trials and tribulations of yesterday!

I had a brilliant Friday! After being under the cosh all week and confronting many things with many people (never easy)! I attended EYFS training on Thursday and went to work full of vim and vigour and hope for Septemebr!

So, I started a mark making activity with soap flakes, progressed through adding water, powder paint and glitter in trays. Then a group of children decided that their mixture was dinosaur potion....I (oddly) had a couple of pickled egg jars in the car from the local chippy-perfect for dinosaur potion! So we made enough to fill one up with just about everything we could find and the children dictated instructions for the label...............if you put it in a dinosaurs mouth, it will die. If you put it in their ear, they come back to life and if you put it on their feet they will stomp! What I'm supposed to be doing this weekend is driving in my car to our local dino museum and putting potion in all their ears to bring them to life...........I must be careful not to get it on their feet because then they will stomp on my car :D Not sure how I'll pull that one off but next week we're making pixie potion so I might have to stick with my other delegated task of finding the teeniest, tinyest, weeniest pixie potion bottle!

My Friday started off well - paperwork day !! I worked really hard at my laptop, got lots done but by about 1.30pm I had such a headache. it was probably due to the fact that i had been sitting in front of my laptop solidly for six and a half hours. I decided to go to the local shops for a bit of fresh air and when I got home I tripped over the step, tried to catch hold of the door handle but missed and slid down the front door. after getting up and checking that no one had seen me trip, I got indoors where I stumbled over the Pre-school bag that I had left in the middle of the hall!!!!!

I had had enough by then so with tears brimming I staggered into the kitchen, made a cuppa and sat down in front of the TV, where I fell asleep!!!

I was woken by a phone call - a parent with a complaint about another child pushing her child (her child is no angel) - I really made an effort to be nice.

After all of that I decided that I wasn't going to do any more paper work - which means I have to do it today. Head ache has gone so that's good.

Tonight and all day tomorrow we are having two of our grandsons who are 6 years old (twins) so got to get things done today as we intend going out with the boys tomorrow (hope weather is going to be OK)

Things don't usually go to plan when I have a day off, I've accepted that now!! I have decided that I won't make plans and then things can't go wrong, can they?

I hope you have a good weekend and the coming week will be better.

Sue J

My tip Upsy Daisy is to spray some furniture polish near the front door. Anyone coming in will think you've at least made a start :D

Great ideas, although with a puppy in the house the Vax carpet cleaner is out most of the time anyway!

I didn't expect to be learning tips like this when I joined FSF!

The puppy has been with us a week now and today has decided she has settled in enough to start pinching everything and chewing it. Oh joy!

Another suggestion I had recently - write yourself a few 'Get well soon' cards and keep on the mantelpiece so any unexpected visitors think you're just recovering and use that as an excuse!

I likie!!!!! Xxxx

....although I am concerned that others know about these tactics too.

can i start this thread a day early??? i've had a horrible day :( MY mum is in hospital for tests and things are not so good on that front and my daughter was taking her spanish exam this morning so feeling a bit stressed...then a parent comes in to say her neice has just been diagnosed with a tumour (ended up with us both in tears) then had to speak to a parent who has no school place, the boys decided to lauch world war 3 (normally fantastic behaviour) and one of them bit another (which he has done before but not for months so we weren't watching for it) so i have had to write to his parents about this. then had a new parent in who spent 2 hours discussing the risks at pre-school and insisted i wrote on her registration that if we go out an adult will hold her hand near any road all the time <_< although we do this i don't normally guarantee it as i try to encourage the children to be more independent than this as they are urban children and need to learn these skills. (she also said that they had tried potty training but it didn't work so they would try again in 4 months!!) then had to reprimand a member of staff ARRRGGGHHHH HUMMMPPPPHHH

Another suggestion I had recently - write yourself a few 'Get well soon' cards and keep on the mantelpiece so any unexpected visitors think you're just recovering and use that as an excuse!

Good tip, but I'm afraid I'd have been suffering from the same illness these last 23 years! :P

• Like 1

can i start this thread a day early??? i've had a horrible day :( MY mum is in hospital for tests and things are not so good on that front and my daughter was taking her spanish exam this morning so feeling a bit stressed...then a parent comes in to say her neice has just been diagnosed with a tumour (ended up with us both in tears) then had to speak to a parent who has no school place, the boys decided to lauch world war 3 (normally fantastic behaviour) and one of them bit another (which he has done before but not for months so we weren't watching for it) so i have had to write to his parents about this. then had a new parent in who spent 2 hours discussing the risks at pre-school and insisted i wrote on her registration that if we go out an adult will hold her hand near any road all the time <_< although we do this i don't normally guarantee it as i try to encourage the children to be more independent than this as they are urban children and need to learn these skills. (she also said that they had tried potty training but it didn't work so they would try again in 4 months!!) then had to reprimand a member of staff ARRRGGGHHHH HUMMMPPPPHHH

Poor you. Let's hope your friday is a really good one1

• Like 1