Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Coffee Breaks

A member of staff has complained that she doesn't get a coffee break when working 3.5hrs a day (9 - 12.30pm).

I allow staff to make unlimited cups of coffee in the kitchen and pop out for quick sips throughout the morning. Can anyone please

share how they organise their day enabling staff to have a hot drink!

dottyp

we grab one when and IF we get a chance!! ...not much chance at the moment though! i can tell how busy the day has been by the amount of coffee that has been drunk! xD

Same for us - although we do always have a morning cuppa together before we open!

dottyp - I think that it's actually an 'amazing' length of time before staff are entitled to a break - 6 hours springs to mind - but maybe I dreamt that! :o:(

Same for us - we don't have hot drinks in 'the room' but we all have a water bottle (like the school children have :D ) so nobody can claim they might dehydrate :o

We don't tend to have hot drinks in the session but occasionally we might have one and as dottyp says we nip in and have sips. We are lucky to have a purpose built building and our kitchen has a stable door so if it's quiet (yeah right!!) in theory someone could be in the kitchen with the top of the door open so they can see if they are needed.

We have a 3/4 unpaid lunch break each in our 8:15am - 3:30pm day. Mind you I'm in before 8 and go straight into After School Club until at least 6:15pm every night too but usually snatch a cuppa during the ASC

As we don't run a "milk bar/snack bar" for the children, all our children sit down together at the same time for their drink and snack, this enables us staff to have a tiny respite and have a very quick cup of something, we have a serving hatch from the kitchen to the hall which is very helpful in this so.... technically the hot drinks are not in the same room!!

legally it is 6 hours before you have to have a break... and then is need not be paid for.. under 18 the rules are different... thre are other rules to follow about them found here There is no statutory right to 'smoking breaks'.

we had a kitchen with a hatch and staff were able to go out for hot drinks... or we had 'warm' drinks if sat with the children at their break... always cold drinks as others have said we had our own drink bottles, or plastic 'glasses' .

really depends on ratios.. is she has one all other staff should also be allowed to take one... but unpaid.......would be interesting to see how she would feel about losing the pay...

Edited by Inge

We don't have coffee breaks but full time staff have a one hour lunch break. They can have a drink or snack whenever they like as long as they are good role models for the children e.g sitting down to eat. We do have hot drinks in the room but they are well out of reach of the children. I'm surprised that someone would need a break when they work 3 1/2 hours!

Beehive

Thank you for all your replies. I thought I was on track with hot drinks and breaks! I have today gone back to the

setting and explained how we are to move forward on this one and all staff were happy to bring water bottles in first

thing, then make themselves a coffee in the kitchen during the session which they can continue to slurp as and when. :)

dottyp

I am not complaining I love my job but I really do not think people realise what we have to put up with in early years. I am sure you all agree we do it for the childrens benefit. I am forty and a bit now not sure I will be able to continue with this pace until I am sixty though.

buttercup