Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Decision Time

HappyMaz

So after weeks (if not months) of soul searching, calculator bashing and general breast beating on my part, I have finally told my parents today that I will be closing the nursery at the end of this academic year when all our children will be leaving to go to Primary school as part of our Borough's first single intake. The blow is somewhat softened by knowing that I won't be forcing parents to find alternative childcare for their children, but as you can imagine, it has been a difficult decision.

Sooner or later I'll have to think about what life will be like after July, but really I have no idea what I want to do. When the sadness has worn off, I guess it could be quite exciting... :o

Oh :( Happymaz sorry to hear you news and sending you a huge virtual hug.

As they say 'when one door closes another opens' you can think of all those children who have benefitied from you and your setting and take great pride in the wonderful start you have given them all along lifes journey xD

I guess you need to 'allow' yourself to go throgh the sadness and then I think it will be exciting - maybe Peggy will have some wonderful words of wisdom :o

Sorry to learn this Maz, it often passes through my mind how I would manage to do the same thing when the time comes. I sincerely hope you find after a break from the "coal face" there will be an opportunity you can't say no to within the Early Years community - so much knowledge should not disappear.

Sadly I think I may just be the first of many Cait.

I understand what you mean. We're not there yet but I have imagined to myself how I would feel if the playgroup had to close due to finances and its not an easy thought.

Its sad for you but it could be a very exciting time too. I know you'll find something worthwhile to do. I cant imagine all that experience and expertise not finding a home.

My hubby would say 'you can get a proper job now' :o

Whatever comes of this, I hope you enjoy your decision even through the sadness. xD

Well, you've done it now :o After the "oh my Lord what on earth have I done?" phase, I KNOW you'll feed very positive about the future. You have so much to offer others, either in your EYPS work or other advisory roles (writing for the forum, maybe? xD )

My advice would be to make these last few months the very best of fun for everyone, and celebrate what a superb service you've provided for all those children and families. Build in lots of little celebrations and try to do some activities you've never done before (we bought some eggs, borrowed an incubator, and you know the rest!)

September will be a very strange time for you....it certainly was for me. and I felt pretty lost for a couple of months, really, particularly when I saw the families around and about. Why not book yourself a treat early in the autumn term to take your mind off it?

Lots of love from us all here at FSF HQ. I'm absolutely sure you've made the right decision.

I've said it before, but your knowledge of children and their needs, and your passion are exceptional and I can't understand how things aren't brilliant for you. The nuggets of wisdom you have generously offered over your last ten thousand five hundred and fifty three posts have been essential to the wellbeing of the bewildered - such as myself. To drink from you fountain of knowledge has been a joy and an education. Please, please, please direct your energies in a direction that more can learn from you.

Consult, teach, lecture, write, petition - Just let us still learn. Let the loss of the few children be the gain of the greater.

Honey

I've said it before, but your knowledge of children and their needs, and your passion are exceptional and I can't understand how things aren't brilliant for you. The nuggets of wisdom you have generously offered over your last ten thousand five hundred and fifty three posts have been essential to the wellbeing of the bewildered - such as myself. To drink from you fountain of knowledge has been a joy and an education. Please, please, please direct your energies in a direction that more can learn from you.

Consult, teach, lecture, write, petition - Just let us still learn. Let the loss of the few children be the gain of the greater.

Honey

Brilliant words from Honey!!!

Sorry to hear your news.....maybe you can come and have a cuppa with me at FSF HQ one day.....bit of a round trip :o

Big hugs

Sue x x

Tis a sad post to read and I hope that you will utilise your amazing gift as a knowledgeable, empathic, wise personable lady - whatever you do I should like to always keep in touch - you are special! :)

Like everyoneelse I am stunned and saddened at your news. I am sure the decision cannot have been easy.

I am indebted to you for your support and advice over the years. I do hope you will be able to utilize your skills elsewhere in Early Years. I wish you good luck for the future.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Although I'm not sure I recognise this person you're all talking about! xD I feel so sorry for my lovely staff, who will now also be looking for new challenges for September.

Maybe I should start a recruitment agency? :o

I can't say anything else that hasn't been said really. I too know that it might not be long until I have to make a similar decision and I know it can't have been easy. I appreciate all the support you've given me in the past and I hope you find something to fill the many hours you will have - I joke that people will know when I leave playschool because my house will be clean! Don't leave here though, at least not just yet!

Just wanted to add my best wishes. I do dip into this forum on a regular basis and have often been inspired to act on the basis of your advice to others. I am sure there will still be many children who will benefit from your wisdom and experience. Good Luck!!

i feel for you, what a hard decision to make when it affects you and others, but with every door closing there is always another one that will open :o i hope you find something that will use all of your remarkable knowledge and sound advise to enlighten and teach others!! this life journey that we are all on is such a strange one isn't it ?!? so full of big ups and downs and decisions that feel so hard to cope with, here's to the future and all the exciting adventures still to come for you xxxxxxx xD

Just really want to echo all the previous posts, and take this opportunity to thank you for all your great words of wisdom,your fantastic knowledge that you have patiently shared with us all and truly knows no bounds. I'm sure something must come along that will encompass all that you have to give and fulfil you personally too.

Now enjoy every moment you have left at your setting, celebrate all you have achieved and try to look forward to the future. :oxD

Virtual hugs x

Oh, HappyMaz! This is truly not "happy" news :o . Sorry to hear about this and I surely hope the best in the future. I am sure the Lord will have something special prepared for you and for your lovely staff even though for while some could not see within the dark storm. Yet, the calm will come and a new sunrise will shine with new life and happy moments as well. Will you stay around in the forum? We surely have learnt a lot from you, not only professionally, and you have always been there for us. Wishing you all the best xD .

Ah, HappyMaz, you have confirmed my suspicions. Great words form HoneyPancake, and yes that person is you. :(

My experience was similar to a bereavement, and as you know we all handle this in different ways.

The reasons to close being in a sense out of 'our' control, external factors mainly being government intervention causing sustainability issues. This caused me 'anger', and 'regret' that I was powerless to change this influence in MY business.

The sadness I felt, like you, was for the staff redundancies, one, a friend for many years prior to working for me, has never spoken to me since. :wacko:

I had my preschool for just 7 yrs ( economic timing not very good when choosing to open) How long have you owned yours? I'm guessing longer.

My career dream was realised when I opened my setting, the 7 yrs flew by, but in retrospect, the time to close was right, so no regrets there.

I fortunately had my 'new' career established, as a foster carer, and I am confident that many, many, offers will come your way, I don't think you will even have to search for a new career, you will be 'head hunted' I'm sure. :(

I thought I'd miss the children, but actually no, not because they didn't mean the world to me, but, I think because every year it is part and parcel of our job to say goodbye to one cohort, and hello to the next, your 'emotional' moving on skills will help you , come July.

I too once thought about setting up a supply cover / staff agency for settings, trained by myself, providing a piece of me in settings across the county, but that was not to be, but maybe a thought for you in the future.

I agree with others that your wisdom, experience and what I love best about you, your sense of humour, candid dialogue and wonderful perspective of all things EYFS, including the adults/staff perspective is where your forte lies. and of course your dedication to everything you do.

3 yrs since I closed my preschool, I soon wondered how on earth I found time to do all the preschool work I did (especially when I had 4 foster children and the business at the same time), life will always be busy for busy people, so I am sure you will always stay busy and will still be burning the midnight oil, on here or FB in the future.

I have moments when I miss the position of 'boss', when I visualise and remember many of the wonderful experiences I had at preschool with the children, but I am now making new memories. ( and I try to be 'boss' at home)

I miss being at the forefront and knowledgable of the early years as I used to be, lets be honest it's hard enough to 'keep up with it all' when at the coal face, let alone at a distance. I found this aspect more so when reading posts on the forum and don't now know which research / legislation etc to refer to within advice, but hey ho, it is the 'life' experience that counts, proffered with an open, forward thinking mind, and not a dinosaur head, that really matters.

I'm waffling now, so I will end and say I truly know what you are going through right now, we are all with you on this milestone in your life, and although I didn't want to admit it at the time, I knew, and I'm sure you know deep down that we are not indispensable,( I'm expecting a witty comment from you about your indispenability :o ) others will take our place in whatever we finish, and that they will never be who we were, but will put their own stamp on what was once our place in that time of our life. The early years provision in your locality will never be the same without you, but it still will be there for all the future parents/children.

Like a bereavement .............An ending, never forgotten, but life really does go on.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

SO, sentiments over, give us a clue, WHAT are you thinking about doing next......write a book?........Mentoring?...........Adult Ed tutor/student?............Assessing?..........Politics?........................running off to the Bahama's?........................When should I expect to see your written article for the FSF? (soon I hope, look forward to reading it already). xD

What I did do was, I found more time for me, although hard at first after giving my soul (as we do) to preschool, I actually have allowed myself to be a bit selfish, try it Maz, it feels good. :(

Keep us informed...........................................................

Peggy

A difficult decision and I'm sure you will feel relief at having made it... big challenges and choices ahead so excitement tinged with sadness - enjoy the coming months and wait to see what's in store :o

Nona x