Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Evening Tonight-need Supportive Comments Please

**apologies for the long post but it has been good to write it down and helped me calm down**

My daughter is a severe asthmatic. She has been hospitalised twice in the last 6 weeks for 3 and 4 days. She is so severe that at her last review with her chest constultant it was suggested that there were further investigations to check for cystic fibrosis. She has had an allergy blood test (strong for dust mite), CT scan (no sign of bronchiectasis which is a good sign) and has the sweat test for CF in 2 weeks.

The respiratory nurse came to our house yesterday and feels the following the results of the first 2 tests CF is less likely (phew)and her condition will be classified as 'brittle asthma'. That means that she can have a sudden unexpected attack at any time although obviously colds, dust, smoke, exercise etc will increase the risk.I tell you all this to give you some background of where I'm coming from.

She has had issues in the last few months with a science teacher. All her other teachers report although they say she is chatty she hands in good quality on time homework and engages well in class. After a catalog of incidents so I was already preparing for tonight planned parents evening something happen yesterday that has made me SO cross I may struggle to stay calm and thought your balanced ideas, comments and how to handle it may help me not make the local news headlines!!

Laura had cause to use her ventalin inhailer in class. The teacher sent Laura to the 'UNIT' (behavour withdrawal class) for 'Using an aerosol in class' (aerosols being banned). Unable to answer back (or not listened too!) Laura had to walk unaccompanied down a couple of flights of stairs across a bridging corridor and through to another building between lessons when the corridors are quiet. The unit staff (luckily) were able to help her, assisted her with her inhailer and calmed her down. I will support the teacher all the way if I have proof Laura is poorly behaved in class but the buzz from the kids in both my childrens groups of friends is that this teacher appears to have one child in each class who she 'doesn't like' and makes it difficult for that child. They can even name a child in each class. The teacher is 'about your age mum' so she's not a young NQT.Lauras report came home with her yesterday and this teacher has put among other comments 'Laura needs to make more mature choices' :o

ps-this is a science teacher so should know the difference between an inhailer and an aerosol!

When you consider that there was that recent case where a child died at school because his asthma wasn't dealt with supportively by staff, it amazes me that this might happen.

I think you should phone the school and ask if you can speak separately to the head of department and try to clarify the situation. If she was sent to the behaviour unit for this, that is definitely not on, and the HOD should support you and your child. It might be that you should suggest that the school nurse could do a talk for staff on supporting students who have asthma?

You might also find that some of the chemicals in a science lab could be exacerbating her asthma? It'd be worth checking that as well if it is allergy based.

Hope that helps, I can sympathise as I have asthma and I know how scary it is to have an attack. The best advice I was ever given, which I would pass onto your daughter, is that you should remember the problem is not breathing IN, but the inability to breathe OUT. If you can force yourself to breathe out properly, rather than gulping in breaths, this can really help you calm yourself down.

im not suprised you are not happy. If it were me I would ring the school and get some clarification (or it looked into) before tonight. Then i would see the science teacher and ask her what happened and depending on what she says take it from there! :o

Oh biccy

I would be very unhappy about this situation - I gave an audible gasp when I read what had happened to your daughter........

What on earth was this teacher thinking of - an inhaler is not an aerosol - what does he/she think that it was a fire hazard???

My husband has a lung condition (COPD) and uses inhalers.........as a grown man he finds it mighty scary when he can't breathe.

Hope you can get this sorted out - will send some positive vibes..........

It amazes and annoys me that asthma isnt treated as the dangerous disease we know it to be. My son used to say it felt like someone was sitting on his chest and he had pains in his shoulders, then add the anxiety you are obviously going to feel when you cant breath, getting a telling off is the last thing you need.

I hope you get some clarification on this tonight. Some teachers seem to think they know best when clearly they dont, I'd ask what asthma training this teacher has attended. I'm hopping mad for you. :o

Edited by Rea

Good luck, you really need to get to the bottom of this.

My son is starting secondary school in september and has nut and bean allergies. He has an epipen but I have concerns about him gaining access to if needed.

Its all very well children having more independence but they need to have access to help if they need it.

You need to take this further if you don't get the answers you need.

I, too, would contact the school before this evening. This sort of incident raises my blood pressure every time!!!!

My daughter has allergies and dust mites are a major allergen to her but her school has put a Care Plan in place and every member of staff is made aware at the start of each term that the Plan exists - it has her photo on and is displayed in the offices of every department.

Makes it much easier for me to raise issues at Parents Evening. A couple of times a teacher has offered the " I didn't know" excuse and backed down rapidly when the Care Plan is mentioned and the issues haven't (fingers crossed!) happened again.

Gather as much information as you can but be prepared to be asked to make an appointment as "Parents Evening isn't the appropriate time/place to discuss what happened" and don't give up until you are satisfied you've received a full explanation and assurances that it won't happen again!

Good Luck,

Nona

Thank you all for your replies they have made me feel I'm not wrong to be concerned, upset and angry. I've been out and another parent has rung wanting to speak to me as her son is the same class and she has 'concerns' about this teacher? I don't want to get involved with the parent mafia (yet) until I give the teacher the chance of an explanation. I've also made it clear to Laura that if the teacher has issues with her behaviour in class that is a different issue and I will back the teacher that bad behaviour is not on.

Appointment is at 5:20pm so should be an interesting evening!

I totally agree with what everyone has said and you deserve a full explanation of what happened and why. Even if your daughter was behaving badly, that doesn't excuse the teacher from taking appropriate action in what has the potential to be a life threatening situation. Sending her off on her own was foolhardy to say the least! As SusieC8 has said, the recently reported tragic case in a secondary school should have been enough to ensure that all schools checked their procedures.

Does the school have an Asthma Policy? If not perhaps they need to put one in place and ensure that all staff follow it. Something you could suggest as an action perhaps.

Just wanted to reiterate the point that a previous poster made about Care plans. As your child has a long term medical need the school must have a care plan or IHCP for her, and this must state how the medication is to be administered. I think you need to ask her head of year, or the inclusion officer for a copy of her plan (i bet they haven't even written one) and ensure that it covers situations such as needing the inhaler in science class.

The school is required to have a policy on administration of medicines and this must cover "medical need" so ask to see that also!!

You come across as a very reasonable parent, so don't be afraid to ask questions and remember that you have the right to expect very high standards of care for your child.

Edited by eyfs1966

Just been reading through this, how awful! I have a child in my class who's asthma isn't even that severe but if ever he is wheezing I'm straight on it making sure he gets his inhaler or mum is rung or whatever is appropriate. I can't believe a teacher would act in this irresponsible way!

Hopefully you have got on all right tonight with raising yor concerns. Do let us know how it goes!

Just to update I went in to see the teacher at 6:10pm. The appointment was for 5:20pm! Its didn't help to be waiting on the corridor for 50mins. I allowed her to talk and had 5 mins about how badly behaved Laura was (saw 7 other teachers who all said a bit chatty but a delight to have). She said there were 12 children in the class of 30 with behaviour issues??? I asked questions like if the class had behaviour issues how was it being dealt with? Were there plans to mix the classes for next year? What support was she getting to handle these behaviour issues.I then asked could she give her side of what happened yesterday. She said she'd 'consulted' collegues who agreed with her that Laura was behaving inappropriately with her inhaler (using it in class without permission) and she should follow school policy for inappropriate behaviour ie send her to the unit. xD Laura got upset and left the room. I'm afraid I lost it at this point. The head of Science asked if I'd like to speak to her privately which I did. She didn't know about yesterday but had 'over heard something in the staffroom' about it :o She is going to look into it and ring me tomorrow evening at home. I did stress if Laura was behaving badly I would back the teacher all the way but if it was a health and safety issue Laura was my first concern

Since I have got home I've had a message from the other parent that they weren't happy with their appointment so went to the year head who is also 'looking into it'. Should ring some bells if 2 sets of parent have seen two different members of senior management with the same concerns.

Secondary schools could learn much from Early Years!!

Secondary schools could learn much from Early Years!!

HOW TRUE!!!!!!

Treat yourself to a nice glass of wine and try not to dwell on it until you hear from the Head of Year/ Department Head tomorrow.

I'd also suggest you concentrate your efforts on your daughter and her needs and try not to get drawn into fighting someone else's battle - been there, done that :o

Take care - hope you have good news for us all soon.

Nona x

Edited by Guest

I don't blame you for losing it! What was your daughter supposed to do? Collapse on the floor quietly whilst she waited for permission to use her inhaler? How ridiculous! If this is school policy I think it needs to be looked into and changed quickly!

Big hugs coming your way biccy.

If your daughter is allowed to carry her inhaler with her, and which with her health concerns she obviously should be, she should not have to ask for permission to use her inhaler in the classroom if she needs to.

What is the school policy on storage of inhalers? Should it be in a central location or with the pupil?

Is your daughter on the SEN register for this and should the teacher not be aware of this and the what has been put in place for your daughter's well being?

Re the behaviour accusations, what is Laura's explanation of this? How does she feel about this teacher?

Hope you get some satisfactory answers tomorrow.

I can't offer any advice or support biccy but I just wanted to send you a virtual hug and say how lovely you are and how lucky your daughter is to have you fighting her corner.

I hope you get all this sorted - you have enough to worry about without school making things worse.

Maz x

I'm still digesting the follow up phone call and still not totally happy. The head of department said after talking to the teacher she still felt Laura was using her inhaler 'inappropriately' but that the teacher had 'over reacted' and the unit shouldn't have been involved. I still feel I was right to give the teacher the opportunity to tell me what had happened before taking it further. Had I found her reasonable and felt she recognised she had over reacted which could have had serious consequences I would have left it there. Unfortunately it was the opposite and after 5 mins of being lectured to about my daughters faults I'd had enough. Head of department said in the phone call she wanted to 'draw a line under it now' :o

I'm still not sure where to go from here. I need to know/see their medication policy, Laura's care plan and the school behaviour policy. They have just had their OfSTED so you would think they were all in place.

I'm still digesting the follow up phone call and still not totally happy. The head of department said after talking to the teacher she still felt Laura was using her inhaler 'inappropriately' but that the teacher had 'over reacted' and the unit shouldn't have been involved. I still feel I was right to give the teacher the opportunity to tell me what had happened before taking it further. Had I found her reasonable and felt she recognised she had over reacted which could have had serious consequences I would have left it there. Unfortunately it was the opposite and after 5 mins of being lectured to about my daughters faults I'd had enough. Head of department said in the phone call she wanted to 'draw a line under it now' :o

I'm still not sure where to go from here. I need to know/see their medication policy, Laura's care plan and the school behaviour policy. They have just had their OfSTED so you would think they were all in place.

Absolutely right, of course you should see the documentation.........HOW was she using her inhaler inappropriately - I don't understand....are they saying that she didn't need to use it?

That phrase - I want to draw a line under this now - is such a 'cop out'.......grrrr

I have just had a asthma plan update to complete for my younger child. Admittedly this is a primary school but I'm sure it was part of a national campaign from an asthma charity and probably triggered by the tragic incident recently in a secondary school. As well as contacting the governors it might also be worthwhile speaking to some of the asthma charities to see if they have guidance you could send on to the governors/school to either give them the information they need or prompt them to act. I'd certainly take it further though. Good luck!

I wonder if she was mucking about with her inhaler to impress her friends or something. Perhaps to cover up embarrassment about needing to use it in front of them.

She may have made a misjudgement but that is totally irrelevant. Asthma is a life threatening condition and nothing a child does in a classroom makes it ok to put her life at risk by leaving her to walk through the corridors unsupervised during an attack.

You need reassurance that if it happens again her safety will be considered a higher priority than any (let's be charitable) behaviour management. I couldn't draw a line under it until I knew that this had been clarified with the teacher concerned.

Biccy, I wondered why you hadnt responded earlier. :o

I'm sure that like you I would be deeply unhappy and unable to "draw the line". How can they possibly say that the inhaler was being used inappropriately?

You should already know what is in your daughter's care plan but I would be asking to see the SENCo now to clarify this.

I also think that you and Laura need to sit down together and that she needs to be clear and upfront with you about exactly what happened. The initial issue that she was sent from the classroom seems to have been resolved but you and more importantly Laura need to know that she can use her inhaler when she needs to and keep herself safe.

Good luck.

Oh biccy no wonder you're still unhappy.

Great advice from Susan, and as a parent I would want to be very sure that all of your daughter's teachers know how important it is to react properly when she needs to use her inhalers. You have to have complete trust in the school's ability to meet her needs and whilst that might need some open discussion about what constitutes 'appropriate' and 'inappropriate' use of the inhaler, it must also involve telling them what you expect and need the teachers to do in order to help Laura keep herself healthy.

Good luck!

Maz

Thank you again for your further replies. You have helped me get a more balanced view again! :o I was beginning to get paranoid it was just me. I really don't want to stir up trouble at the school or be labled a problem parent. The head of department also said 'It was the talk of the school' which made me feel even worse. I think I'm going to ask for an appointment with the year head on Wednesday (day off) Would it be acceptable to forwarn him I would like a copy of : behaviour policy, medication policy, complaints proceedure, care plan for Laura or ask for them at the appointment. I don't think Laura's without fault here. It appears she shook the inhaler (correct practise) but test squirted it before use.

Can I ask any NQT's on the forum especially mature graduates just doing the year do you get any advice/tutorials about how to a.write reports b.Conduct a parents evening interview

Sorry can't answer your last question but I think that you are fair enough in asking the Head of Year what they have in place for Laura and if they have a Care Plan for her. As a parent you are entitled to see any school policies you wish. I'm just wondering if they have these things on a school website as many schools put all their policies online?

In my Primary School we had an Asthma Policy, and I'm talking a long long time ago. We also had a record with a card for each child saying what should be done under various circumstances for that child. All staff dealing with the child were aware of this. You may find this link interesting. Scroll down the page to Asthma.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/h...safety/medical/

Hi Biccy,

First of all, the teacher needs to explain... in detail... why she considers that Laura was using her inhaler inappropriately. I also use inhalers now and then and, when these are not use for a couple of days, you need to do a 'test' to make sure that the proper dose is inhaled. Maybe, what Laura can do, in a future occasion is to raise her hand and tell the teacher that she is not feeling well and needs to use her inhaler. This could be done outside the classroom, just in case the fact of it being an aerosol could be a cause of fire hazard to any chemicals in the Science Room. I hope everything gets solved soon. Best wishes!

good advice already...

perhaps they need to be told that to test an inhaler before use can be standard practice - particularly one not used all the time or occasionally- my husband often does this not only to check it is working but to ensure that it is clean so he is not inhaling anything that may be caught by carrying it round in his pocket all the time.. ( number of debates I have had with parents who give a child an inhaler after being in their pocket without a cover over the mouthpiece.. it scares me to think what foreign bodies they could inhale)

I am also concerned that they felt it Ok to let a child with breathing problems walk through he school alone.. the teacher may have felt it was a behaviour issue but it could have had much more serious consequences..

hope you do take this further and get it sorted.. talk of the school or not.. it is a child's health which is potentially at risk - too would not feel ready to draw a line under it.. how would you be sure it would not happen again.

Inge