Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Just Found Out I'm Pregnant...

Ok so I thought it wasn't actually possible, as for many years I tried with no success. But having done a pregnancy test and going to the GP apparently I could be up to 16 weeks pregnant already! So help! All I want to do atm is run around screaming. What do I need to know? Especially with regard to working in a Nursery. Really relying on you guys to help quell my panic.

Lucy

Well first of all, huge congratulatons, Lucy. This must be an exciting time for you, or will be once the panic subsides.

There are procedures that employees must follow - first you'll need to tell them that you're pregnant, and get form MATB1 (or something like that) - speak to your midwife. They'll have to do a risk assessment and identify any support you'll need to carry out your duties whilst pregnant.

This is all from memory - I'd suggest you google 'maternity right's or something like that and see what you can find. The ACAS website is particularly helpful - they have booklets both for employers and pregnant employees which are very useful.

I'm so happy for you - what does your family and hubby/partner think?

Maz

First of all congratulations! Sit down and breathe deeply and someone will be along in a mo with advice for you (sorry I can't help, not having been in the family way before!)

I'm sure screaming is allowed though!

ppp

Thanks guys - and Maz he's been a star - waaay calmer than me! Went out today and bought 2 pregnancy books that seem to have been written with a sense of humour (some look way too scarily serious) :( Fortunately I have a few days of school holiday left to get used to the idea (oh and tell our respective families - can't wait to see their faces! :o ) and intend to tell my head on Monday morning. On the plus side I appear to have missed the morning sickness...I really had no idea I was pregnant and only did a test because I wanted to see the GP over feeling 'emotional' and know their stock response is "Are you pregnant?" and I decided I really didn't want to find out in a GP's surgery! Trying to quell panic with chocolate....and countless moments internet surfing - at least I know why I was feeling emotional xD Hoping that once I have my scan (which has been requested asap) it will feel real and then I might start really looking forward to it, rather than feeling completely overwhelmed by it all!

WoW lucyhobbit - what a fabulous surprise for you! and to have "missed out" on the morning sickness thing what a bonus! Hope everything proceeds well for you - make the most of this wonderful time and pamper yourself rotten at any opportunity. With a growing bump, I wonder if the children will become fascinated - a new topic maybe in the offing!

That is such lovely news!

How lovely to miss out on the morning sickness!

I hope you enjoy every moment of this pregnancy. Now stop worrying about work and get working on those names. I never managed to find a boy's name I liked - good job I had 2 girls!

Enjoy!

Huge congratulations to you and your little hobbit! As Maz says, you'll need MATB1 form, which your midwife should give you. You and your employer can work out when it will be best to start your maternity leave and any changes to your duties you may need to make, lifting etc.

It's an exciting time for you, make the most of it, and don't forget to put your feet up at the end of the day!

Hi,

congratulations, as others have said take time to enjoy the rest of the hols and to adjust to your fantastic news. Don't spend too much time searching the internet as you can become almost overwhelmed by both the sensible and also the completely barmy advice that is out there.

One thing worth doing when you see a midwife is checking for their uptodate advice on "slapcheek" as I remember it being a problem to watch out for when I was teaching and expecting my first daughter. It didn't matter to me but it could have affected the baby!!!!

But try not to worry, enjoy the next few months and we look forward to hearing more as things progress.

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Congratulations - as people have said above you will need to let your manager know ASAP and she will do a risk assessment with you , and hopefully go through the procedures and guidance for your setting. You should also be entitled to paid time off for scans and appointments, and as you don't get your MATB1 until about 29 weeks you may be wanting to discuss with your Manager when you will start your maternity leave prior to this time, to give them time to get a replacement in whilst you are off, as we all know how long it can take to recruit staff . :o

Lucy thats marvellous. Really thrilled for you, congratulations.

There was a time when we thought it wouldnt happen for us so I can well understand your joy, even if it is mixed in with feelings of sheer panic. :o

Lucy, that's fabulous news!!

You've skipped the "am I, aren't I" part already, and the "let's not tell anyone til I'm 12+ weeks!" AND the morning sickness - lucky girl!! :o

RELAX, REST, ENJOY and ignore at least 75% of advice from other Mums (if it sounds too scary to be true it probably isn't! :( )and you'll be fine!!

Your Midwife will be in touch quite soon now you're "in the system" and she'll point you in the right direction for all you need to know. Save the Internet serches for baby names - there are some crackers out there xD

Nona

Nona

Wow guys you really know how to make a girl feel better - sitting here with a big grin on my face for the first time since I found out yesterday I was pregnant! Somehow I knew posting on here would make me feel better!

Lucy - a very happy hobbit

Lucy - a very happy hobbit

Good! I'm glad to hear it. Just give anyone a wide berth (if you'll pardon the pun!) to anyone who begins a sentence "when I was in labour with my..." - what is it about people who delight in telling you their horror stories the minute they know you're pregnant? :o Either that or they feel that your 'bump' is public property to be prodded and stroked at will.

Enjoy telling your wider families - I'm sure they'll all be delighted!

Maz

Hi Lucy! Have you blossomed overnight??

Years ago a friend of a friend discovered she was pregnant at 6 months! symptom free, other than backache, which as a student nurse was why she was sent to the doctor for it to be checked out.

Once it was confirmed she was pregnant she literally bloomed overnight and looked everyone of those 6 months :o

I just wondered if this was happening for you now you've realised you're going to be a Mummy!? xD

Nona