Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To Open Or Not To Open, That Is The Question!

Cait

So, you've all seen the pictures, and heard our news. We are stranded on the north-west side of the River Derwent now that the bridges have gone or are closed as structurally unsafe. (Our remaining bridge into Workington is collapsing as I write) Mike faces a 90 mile drive to get to work on the other side of the river, which usually is a short trip of 5 minutes.

The village school is 'closed until further notice' as teachers live on the other side of the river, and two of the three have been flooded out in any case, so wouldn't be coming anyway.

So, does my Preschool stay open, or should I close too, two of my staff have children at the village school, so it's going to be hard for them. Big decision to make, really.

My instinct is to stay open, see who manages to come and organise staffing from there, and pay my staff for their normal working hours as long as I can. What would YOU do?

Edited by Cait

I think you should follow you instincts and try to keep life as normal as possible for your little people. If you have to let the staff bring their children in then I would go with that too. This is an exceptional situation.

If you can keep paying the staff who can't get in that's great and I'm sure you'll be paid back in the extra commitment you receive when you really need it in the future.

My thoughts are with you all.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Our decision is usually made on what the local school does, and we follow suit.... therefore in your circumstances we would close. Just a question but supposing you opened, had children arrive who subsequently couldn't be collected due to a further deterioration? What would you do then? You would need to have detailed contingency plans and risk assessment in place if you do decide to stay open. Oh, I just thought! What if there was a medical emergency too, you would need to cover that. Would that be a 90 min trip too as the bridges are down? I do think I would be inclined to close!!! Sounds a nightmare. I do know that whatever you decide you will have every angle covered... good luck!

oh Cait poor you - i think if it was me i would try to stay open for as long as is possible - financially and otherwise ..... and take it day by day - just warning those parents/staff that can make it into nursery that you will assessing the situation day by day.

take care hun and goos luck - will be thinking of you

ali xxxxxxxxxxxx

Cait - just had a thought, if you do decide to close, could you becoming a mobile pre-school - I mean could you go out to the local shelters where people are staying instead of their houses and do a few things to keep the children occupied for a couple of hours a day?

We don't yet know what's happening at the shelters. They seem very well staffed and people are being asked to STOP taking toys and clothes and stuff in as they have been overwhelmed by generosity.

Good to know that the shelters are well manned and supported. With so many of the children your side, if you think that you can offer to stay open for a while each day without compromising health and safety I would give it a go at least on day by day basis. I'm sure your parents would appreciate keeping their children's routine as normal as possible..

I too would be inclined to open and see who turns up and work on it from there. If staff have children from school I would also allow them to come with them, chances are if under 8 there will be enough children who do not turn up to allow them to be counted in ratios..

For me it would be a case of trying to keep it as 'normal' as possible for the children , and also allowing parents some respite to do the things they need to without the children around all the time.. there will be so much for a lot of them to do they may appreciate the chance of time to do it.

Inge

I expect you have already done this.............but would it be worth askng the emergency services co-ordinators for advice. Whilst I agree with others in an ideal world it would be best to keep the routine as normal as possible, but should anything else happen and the weather and conditions deteriorate further then would you possibly be putting further strain on the emergency services albeit with good intentions? And would parents want to leave their little ones with you just incase things do go wrong again? Sorry to sound all doom and gloom, I'm nowhere near where you live, but if you can I would take advice from "those in the know".

Good luck and I am sure everyone on this wonderful site are thinking of you all! Let us know what you decide !!

Emergency services are not taking calls for things like this, they are far too stretched to consider a lowly preschool at the moment.

I think we'll open as normal and see how things pan out. If parents are worried about further deterioration then they'll make their own decisions about whether or not to bring their children.

If you want new pictures the BBC website has some interesting shots

bbc flooding pictures

I think my instinct would be to try to stay open and not worry about staff bringing children in, this happens in our setting anyway, and review the situation on a daily basis.

I would be looking at my insurance cover to see if I was covered for loss of income etc by an act of God as it were.

I would be looking at the forecast to see if more rain was due.

If I decided to stay open I would ring parents to let them know I plan to be open. If too many parents said they would not come I might reconsider my decision.

Good luck with your decision, I am sure it will be the right one whichever you decide. I hope things get back to normal as soon as possible.

Stay open cait, for as long as you can.........................the children will need things to stay as normal as possible.Keep an eye on weather conditions, and get in stocks of bottled water, in case of any pollution, at least you'll have fresh drinking water. Good luck.......and good for you for even considering it!

Hi Cait,

yes I would stay open and see how many children turn up. I think it is important for children to carry on as normal as possible.

good luck though. Keep us informed as what is happening.

Dorinda

It's raining really really hard again, which will be hampering the cleanup. One of the bridges onto the A66 has been declared safe to use, so that makes things easier, only adding about 10 miles to Mike's journey.

Just had a call from a Mum who's a nurse who has asked us to take her son (we have her daughter anyway) He is in Reception this year, and still aged 4. She's helping at one of the centres so, yeah, bring him in! Be nice to see him again!

Hi Cait - yes follow your instincts and open - you can always change that decision later in the week if necessary........

The families affected by this awful flooding and the following chaos will really need their pre-school to be open......

Lots of love heading your way

Just had a call from a Mum who's a nurse who has asked us to take her son (we have her daughter anyway) He is in Reception this year, and still aged 4. She's helping at one of the centres so, yeah, bring him in! Be nice to see him again!

Good for you Cait.

How lovely that she felt she could ask you. That's proper community spirit.

I've just looked at the pictures. Such devastation in such a beautiful area. If they do put out appeals for anything we can help with you will post it on the forum won't you?

xx

Hi Cait - I really feel for you and send you my sympathy for what has happened to your lovely part of the world. If you do open is your Pre School well away from any area that has a possibility from more flooding - I only ask as we are really near to a river and although great in the summer worrys me in the winter - the plus side is the flood warden is one of my staff!!

Nature is an amazing thing and in time things will recover - but sending my best wishes at this sad time x

if you can open it would be great. we were flooded in 2007 fortunatley or unfortunately the day the children broke up for the summer holidays. it would have been great to have know my children could have had somewhere to go to have fun instead of mum and dad trying to deal with everything. My children had a rubbish summer as we were so busy with insurance and clearing everything out they were just left to their own devices.

watching the news brings everything back every time it rains here i am always worried it will happen again. things will get better and life will return to normal. you can give these children a bit of normality. I still remember my 3 year old crying because the skip took all her garden toys away. every time a new one came she thought that was her toys coming back.

my thoughts are definatly with you all

A friend of mine has a house just off the high street in Cockermouth - she has a tenant who is away right now so hasn't been able to get a sense of the damage but it sounds and looks horrendous.

Have fun in your setting - amidst all this chaos I'm sure some normality will be very welcome to many.

Cx

Just to say I will be thinking of and praying for you tomorrow.

Opening does seem to be a good idea, it might be the only time some parents will get to start to sort things out. I hope that the children will be calm and not traumatised by the things they have seen and heard and experienced. I am sure having you there will give them stability and a sense of normality in the midst of so much change.

Take care of yourself and your staff and just let us know if we can help in any way. The South of England feels a very long way away from where you are but we are with you in thought.

Nicky Sussex :o

Open up Cait. Could you ring Ofsted for an emergency extention to your age groups or numbers? It might help with the staffs children and with other families who could do with a bit of help. Such a terrible situation you have up there.

Hi, we had most of the children we expected and a few we didn't whilst parents went to their properties. What will happen tomorrow is anyone's guess - we have another severe weather warning for tonight. The bridge that was opened yesterday has been closed again, so we're cut off again tonight - Mike is on the other side of the river ........

It's a one day at a time situation. I think opening is the best thing you can do as it puts an element of normality into the children's lives which must be very reassuring for them. You are also supporting your community in an active way, and that must be a relief to those you can help.

We used Newby Bridge yesterday but that was closed this morning again. Fortunately we could get into Ambleside from Rothay Bridge, where the road is now just passable. I do hope it doesn't go on too long for you all.