Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funding 2009/2010

Thanks Maz. Do you happen to know from which pot this money is coming? We just got told our new hourly rate and had info on which settings are being able to offer 15 hours this year but no one else talked about other money. When I ask I get the same reply about our LA being least deprived so we don't get more money, etc. It might be true but the LA don't half waste money on nonsense which could be better spent!

Thanks Maz. Do you happen to know from which pot this money is coming?

Well I don't know exactly - but this is all part of the single funding formula decisions that our Borough is making so I can only assume that it is coming out of the pot of central Government funding for the delivery of the 15 hour flexible entitlement. I think each Local Authority is able to decide their own priorities for funding and its own mechanism for deciding the level of funding it will offer settings. I also think that for the first time, LAs are able to 'charge' settings for providing training and support services etc.

Sorry - that's not very helpful, is it? :o

Maz

Aww thanks. I'm beginning to think someone made all this funding malarky especially complicated to keep us all in our place! I'll keep asking - it gets you nowhere if you don't.

Guest MaryEMac

Our rate goes up to £3.38 an hour in April. I went to a meeting this week about offering 15 hours from sept 09 and found that if we are prepared to be flexible then we will be given an extra 0.34p per child per hour. We are going to be very flexible :o

Mary

I went to a meeting this week about offering 15 hours from sept 09 and found that if we are prepared to be flexible then we will be given an extra 0.34p per child per hour.

And is your LA offering extra for quality too, Mary?

Ok so what is going on with my LA that they are offering nothing for quality or flexibility? And our hourly rate seems to be one of the lowest.

I'm in Bucks - we currently get £3.40 an hour but no word yet on any increase but whatever it is I guarantee it won't come close to being enough to cover all our outgoings and certainly not enough to pay my staff (or myself) what we deserve!

dont know what setting I have just left will be - have been told it is more than last year for them.. but it does include area of deprivation enhancement as well as flexibility entitlement, and EYP.. it is one of only 3 groups in the area to receive the highest amount possible.. so it is all very dependant on area and circumstances.

Inge

Worcestershire is £3.84 for 12.5 + hours, £3.36 for up to 12.5 hours. This is actaully a drop as we used to get £3.96! Sorry folks, it is still a struggle

Crikey - I have never thought about 'a drop'.

Sunnyday

Crikey - I have never thought about 'a drop'.

Sunnyday

No, nor had we. initially it was an enormous increase to £3.92 split by how many hours they did. Then for a term we were paid £3.36 while they decided what to pay - no-one knew what the rate would be, we didn't know if we could afford the staff we had in place! Early years kept sayying it wouldn't decrease and then we got the top up to £3.84 which was by then a relief as it was affordable to what we had spent. How are we supposed to offer high quality provision with so little money though?

We have just received our letter Introduction to changes.

At the moment we are

£3.40 per hour

£8.50 per 2.5 hours

£42.50 per 12.5 hours

£1,615 for 12.5 hours and for 38 weeks

Our hourly rates set for 2009-2010 are ( increased entitlement to 15hours )

£3.90 per hour

Funding for 2010-2011 are

£4.00 per hour

From 1st April we will have the money paid into our accounts monthly as opposed to two per term

Childminders will receive £5.32 per hour !

Jackie

We have just received our letter Introduction to changes.

At the moment we are

£3.40 per hour

£8.50 per 2.5 hours

£42.50 per 12.5 hours

£1,615 for 12.5 hours and for 38 weeks

Our hourly rates set for 2009-2010 are ( increased entitlement to 15hours )

£3.90 per hour

Funding for 2010-2011 are

£4.00 per hour

From 1st April we will have the money paid into our accounts monthly as opposed to two per term

Childminders will receive £5.32 per hour !

Jackie

OMG - WOW - fantastic!!

Why do childminders get more? They don't have the staff overheads that settings do

Nor do they have the same numbers of children we do in settings - even though they have to jump through all the same hoops as we do in terms of equipment, resources etc. Perhaps its something to do with that?

Maz

Nor do they have the same numbers of children we do in settings - even though they have to jump through all the same hoops as we do in terms of equipment, resources etc. Perhaps its something to do with that?

Maz

Hmm, possibly, and I suppose with smaller numbers of children it's harder to get a 'wage', but still there should be some equality, shouldn't there?

Hmm, possibly, and I suppose with smaller numbers of children it's harder to get a 'wage', but still there should be some equality, shouldn't there?

I take it you mean equality for children, Cait? If so, then equality of opportunity isn't about treating everyone the same, but rather in putting in measures to ensure that all children are able to access a quality service. I personally wouldn't complain about childminders getting a bit extra per hour per funded child to ensure that childminder's businesses continue to be sustainable following the introduction of the 15 hour entitlement.

If you mean equality for providers, then I would say you're entitled to register as a childminder to take advantage of the increased funding! :o I'd bet the grass is not always greener on the childminder's side of the fence.

Will be interested to hear what our childminding colleagues will add to this discussion! xD

Maz

Ok, you've told me off again, I'll have to stop 'thinking out loud'

Sorry Cait - didn't think I'd told you off, and certainly didn't mean to - just putting forward a different point of view. Life would be very boring if we all agreed with each other all the time. And your opinion/thinking out loud is as valid as anyone's. :o

Edited by HappyMaz

I'm a bit confused , I understand in theory why a childminder would get the extra, but I thought that from April 2010 when the 15 hrs kicked in for everyone was also when the single funding formula kicked in for everyone. Now this SFF is so that each childs funding is the same no matter whether PVI or maintained setting, so does this also then not apply to childminders??. Or am I way off track here?

bit the same as settings getting different depending on

location (area of deprivation ) or

being able to offer the 15 flexible hours (some cannot because of location and other hall users etc) or

having eyp in place

all which can offer enhancements

Is that giving each child same funding?

Inge

Just getting around to "reading" Next Steps for Early Learning and Child Care...

wondered what people thought of this idea

explore the principles and practicalities of linking funding for the free entitlement more closely to the contributions individual providers make to outcomes.

Is that giving each child same funding?

have been reflecting on the debate Cait and I were having earlier about funding and was thinking just the same thing Inge! I wondered if children accessing their provision at a setting which qualified for enhancements to funding would receive more than if their child attended a setting where no enhancement was available? The only conclusion I can come to is that perhaps parents will be offered 15 hours of free entitlement at a childcare establishment of their choice, with any enhancement to the basic funding level being used by the setting for pre-agreed purposes such as supplement the EYP's salary etc.

I guess until we know exactly what our Local Authorities are proposing, it can only be a matter of debate and conjecture. However it does seem to me that time is running out - especially for those settings who will be offering 15 hours from September this year! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)