Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Some Advice Please

velvet

I am after some advice as I have had a child with headlice and/or nits since Christmas. I inform the parents which is through our daily diary book and also tell the aupair that collects the child. It seems to disapear for a few days then back again. I have written in the book about how its best to check everyone in the family so to stp the cycle and even put in the book an information sheet which the school gave to my children as it was bug busting week last month. I always check my childrens hair once or twice a week and they have been clear, I have let the parents of the children know so they can check there hair (but I haven't seen any evidence they have got them). Last week this particular child even come in with the shampoo treatment on their hair but today has come in and I can see headlice crawling over the top of head. child only has fine hair so quite easy to see them and has eggs again!! What should I put in the book today it seems as if every Monday/Tuesday I am saying the same thing and not sure what to write now as this is about the 6 time I will be telling them since christmas.

Any ideas?

Ps Sorry if that doesn't make sence/ spelling mistakes typing quickly while they eat breakfast as I wat to know what to write!

Hi what a challenging situation to be in.

I think i would have to go out and speak to the parent or make a convenient time for you to speak with her. Perhaps she's only treating the child and not every one in the family or not cleaning hairbrushes, bed clothes ect.

The best way I have found in dealing with this situation in my 16 years is to address the parent face on. Go out ask to have a word in private and then explain about the little visitors. under5s.co.uk have a lovley downloadable booklet you can give to the parent as well.

Hope this helps

Good luck

You have my sympathy, a few years ago we had a little girl like this and when I challenged Dad he just said 'oh I know, she likes them' WHAT!!! well there's no answer to that off the cuff is there - floored me a bit. I found leaflets on info off the internet for them and then I was hauled over the coals by Mum for singling them out and embarrassing them, (which of course was nonsense, the only person raising her voice loud enough to be heard in the next room was her!) She then withdrew her daughter and we never heard from them again. so.... (as my daughter would say - does this face look bothered?)

A face to face is a good idea but depending on how it went you could always suggest they keep the child off until all nits and eggs have gone and been gone for more than a week. It might make them scared into taking this seriously. I know we dont exclude for nits, but if other parents start to complain you will have more trouble. And its not nice when the child gets older to be the 'dirty child' in class. So they might aswell take it seriously now as later.

Here's another one that's been puzzling me - we have a child with really rotten teeth (front 4) which are now disintegrating. Can this be classed as neglect do you think?

A nursery I was in last year had a child with teeth just like that. Mom had problems at home and wasnt very literate and had lots to put up with. The nursery got support for her and her family to try to address the healthy eating issues and encouraged the child to try different foods at nursery, mom swore the child would only eat pot noodles.

I think it is neglect but you'd have to careful of how it was dealt with, obviously you know your families best and so would know how to approach it. The sad thing is that while these are just milk teeth, second teeth can be affected and grow through in a bad way and then theres no other chance.

that's right - brother in law is a dentist and (bit naughty I know) I sent him a photo last april what child was just two. He said then that if they were left in they'd be affecting his root beds and subsequent teeth. I spoke to Nan - the only person we ever see, and her reaction was 'oh, do you think so?'

Thanks for your replies.

The problem I have is I only ever see Mum a few times a year when the aupair is away and I have never seen Dad! I talk to the aupair and seems really nice and like I said have wrote in book too.

Today I wrote in again that I have found some more nits and lice and that since it keeps coming back can they make sure that all the family get checked and treated if needed. The aupair said "oh not again" when I told her so I will have to see how it is tomorrow when child comes in.

The Parent is commenting in the book that they are using the comb to get nits/lice out but as the child has very fine hair and fidgets alot it isn't very easy. I have recommended using lots of condidioner and a comb that I use for my children that is really good as teeth are close together and have sprirals on them.

As a childminder I was wondering where I would stand if I suggest to them that I could go through the childs hair each morning and if they could do it each night for the next week or two along with others in family to get rid of them once and for all. If the child let me but children are normally totally differnt with us to parents. What do you think??

Hmm, you could be on thin ice with that idea. Not sure. I suppose if you had their written permission then it'd be ok. You'd be wasting your time if they're not doing EVERYONE else though. And possibly grandparents etc.

It really would depend of the relationship you have with the parents .....

But it may be the child is catching it from someone else who has not been treated....

reminds me of the story/ myth of a preschool who constantly had this problem.. parents all said they had checked ... and on investigation turned out the local shop keeper had been passing them back to the children when they went in to buy sweets on leaving the pre-school.

Used to illustrate it need not be close family but someone they meet outside at weekends.

Unless all family/ contacts are treated this can be ongoing ...............

Not much help am I???

Inge

Not much help am I???

Inge

Oh don't say that Inge!! COURSE you are some help! you've just highlighted what others have said, that unless everyone gets treated, it's never going to go away! That's why they reoccur! If we could get everyone in the world to shave their head and keep it shaved for a 10 day period, we'd eradicate them for good - but until then ......

Yuk! Nits give me the creeps & I'm itching just reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!

I childmind and, when my own daughter came home from school with nits, I bought an electronic "bug zapper" from Argos - after spending 4 hours wet combing her long, fine hair! £15 well spent! :o

Used on dry hair it "zaps" the headlice, killing them or damaging them so they die soon after. Has to be used daily for 2 weeks to eradicate fully if a long term problem.

Mine has been out on loan to parents (Teachers, so funnily enough for them to use xD ) and I asked permission to use it on their children if they bring the headlice letter home to me! They were all more than happy for this to happen and the kids are quite happy to take their turn being combed.

Perhaps get a permission from from all parents under the "keeping healthy" banner, offer to check everyone regularly and invest in a "bug zapper"

Nona

ERRRRRR !!!!

Aparently childs hair was checked last night with zapper and nothing found last night- parent had written in book this morning!

I had a look and eggs still there and I saw 1 lice!! When aupair comes tonight I will have to show her what the nits look like and where they are. I have tried to contact Mum today to talk about it on phone with her but she in a meeting all day apparently. I will have to phone her at home tonight (although the last time I had to do this for another reason she wasn't in till gone 9:30) I am about to look on the under 5's website to download the booklet now thank you for thoses who meantioned it.

Thank you for all your replies it's just sooo frustrating!!

ERRRRRR !!!!

I will have to show her what the nits look like and where they are.

This sounds like your best plan. Could you catch one in some sellotape - so everyone knows what they are looking for?

We were discussing this situation at a Childminder drop-in today.

Asda do a bug-busting kit. A chemical free product that you wet-comb in, leave on overnight and shampoo off in the morning. One treatment usually enough but if not is repeated 7 days later.

Highly recommended and effective, apparently!

Nona

ERRRRRR !!!!

Aparently childs hair was checked last night with zapper and nothing found last night- parent had written in book this morning!

I had a look and eggs still there and I saw 1 lice!! When aupair comes tonight I will have to show her what the nits look like and where they are. I have tried to contact Mum today to talk about it on phone with her but she in a meeting all day apparently. I will have to phone her at home tonight (although the last time I had to do this for another reason she wasn't in till gone 9:30) I am about to look on the under 5's website to download the booklet now thank you for thoses who meantioned it.

Thank you for all your replies it's just sooo frustrating!!

just remember - 'nits' are actually the word for the dead eggs not the lice themselves. The eggs that you can see will be already hatched as they are transparent before then. Nits cling to my daughters hair for years and are impossible to get out of her thick black hair unless I drag each one out with my nails

I got confused between my eggs and nits when I was typing although child has both and lice. Well I called last night and parents weren't in and I didn't get a call back but today child come in with lotion on hair and it all pulled back and a note saying they think an older sibling could be why it keeps coming back so will be treated too. Fingers crossed that they comb out all the eggs too as I am right in beliving the lotions only kill the lice not the eggs...yes??

I got confused between my eggs and nits when I was typing although child has both and lice. Well I called last night and parents weren't in and I didn't get a call back but today child come in with lotion on hair and it all pulled back and a note saying they think an older sibling could be why it keeps coming back so will be treated too. Fingers crossed that they comb out all the eggs too as I am right in beliving the lotions only kill the lice not the eggs...yes??

i thought lotions killed the eggs too - might be wrong, i never use lotions just the condition and comb technique

A few weeks ago I invested in a 'Nitty Gritty' comb which I got off the internet. It looks like a normal nit comb but has longer teeth. Each tooth has a spiral etched onto it and they are positioned very close together so you have to use it on wet conditioned hair. It is well worth the money as it removes EVERYTHING - lice, eggs and nits. I offer to lend it to any parents when they have a nit problem as I know it will do the trick.

The only problem is the untreated kids at school who keep reinfecting everyone else!!

just remembered this one...

nitty gritty is available free on prescription from your surgery

see HERE for more info. They even give you a letter to take into the surgery... think I printed off letter for parents to give to GPs when we had a long outbreak.

Inge

The nitty gritty comb was the one that I found most effective too - its lethal and takes no prisoners at all! :o

Thanks for this link Inge, have saved away for future reference!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)