Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery World Posters - What Would You Like?

Well it's all been said - I was going to say anything but beautiful white british children - not just in the posters, or throughout the magazine! My preschool is in an area of 99% white people, there is a small polish community, but unless you hear them speaking then you couldn't guess that their culture is any different from our own.

For this reason, it's hugely important that our children see children of different skin tones so it doesn't come as a shock when they meet up with one in a town or in later life - if that makes sense.

Totally off topic but I was sent this. (Thanks Gwyneth) I sent it to some friends and my lovely TA/friend for years, sent me an email saying' Your glasses are around your neck' (they were!)

I was recently diagnosed with AAADD - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my flower tubs in the front garden.

As I go to turn on the hose I look over at my car and decide it needs washing..

I go to get the car keys from the porch and then notice the mail on the porch table.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I put my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the bin under the table, and notice that the bin is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the rubbish first.

But then I think, I can run down to the post-box when I take out the rubbish, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my cheque book off the table, and see that there is only one cheque left.

My other cheque book is in the computer desk, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my other cheque book, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The Coke is getting warm so I decide to put it in the fridge to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the window ledge catches my eye -they need water.

I put the Coke on the window ledge and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my computer desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I put the glasses back down on the window ledge, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote. I must have left it on the kitchen table.

I realise that tonight when I go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the living room where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but some spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table, get a towel and wipe up the spill.

Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

The flower tubs aren't watered;

The car isn't washed;

The bills aren't paid;

There is a warm can of Coke sitting on the window ledge;

The flowers in the vase don't have enough water;

There is still only one cheque in my cheque book;

I can't find the remote;

I can't find my glasses;

I have absolutely NO idea what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to work out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all damn day, and I'm really tired.

I realise this is a serious problem and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favour. Forward this message to everyone I know, because I don't remember who the hell I've sent it to.

I agree a map of the world but also maybe one of britain and then major cities? How about something for the parents and practitioners as well? I know we have already had bits from the eyfs, I need something the parents and staff will find attractive enough to read!!

I avoided the brick wall but am working on some shiraz cabernet, not as painful now but suspect it will be in the morning!!!!!!!!!

I know we have already had bits from the eyfs, I need something the parents and staff will find attractive enough to read!!

I agree Wendles - and the posters from the Department of Carpets and whatever are often so huge as to be useless for us in packaway groups. So some nice parent-friendly information about the EYFS would be super-dooper!

Maz

Pictures of people just doing very day stuff in an every day area. You know that thing about the Queen thinking the world smells like paint, well I sometimes think the world is tidy and its not.

How about we donate our favourite pictures and you make them into your posters? :o

I think pictures of things that children have drawn alongside the "real thing" to show its ok to draw things that don't look anything like the thing that you are trying to draw!

Posters of famous/old paintings are great for talking about really looking and seeing what you can see when you "really" look and are good for comparing old/new, feelings, etc actually just about anything!

I'd quite like a poster of Cap'n Jack Sparrow or Nicholas Cage just to keep me happy.

Posters of children looking dirty and messy and happy!

Activities/work sheets for the back of Cap'n Jack Sparrow and Nicholas Cage...

CLL: Compose a love letter from Cap'n Jack/write a love letter to Cap'n Jack. Mark make on Nicolas Cage's back (see attached back naked outline of said idol)

PSRN: count how many times you can kiss the picture before it disintegrates, what can you do to stop it disintegrating?

KUW: draw a time line of zlw and their courtship. Laminate posters and place in water tray (with laminated photo of zlw) with plenty of bubbles and some candles surrounding

PSED: This might be the perfect opportunity to look into how babies are made...

CD: Cut up the see attached back naked outline of said idols and see how many different shapes you can make their bodies. For the the more advanced see if they can be linked with the naked outline of zlw.

PD: Linked closely to PSED.

Laminate posters and place in water tray

Already done this as part of our pirate topic last year :o It was a great extention to the boats.One child even brought me to sugar top picture of captain jack from the top of his birthday cake as a present xD

Edited by Guest

Any chance you could print a poster of a brick wall that says on it "bang head here" I'm sure it would go down a treat with most Manager's!!!!

can i order mine now!!!!!

seems there is a common theme through this thread as to what we all would like, once you have waded through them all!!!

I would just like to say thank you for consulting those at the 'coal face' for their input and look forward to seeing some of the results in the future...

Inge

Many thanks for all your ideas and opinions. Looks like Cap'n Jack Sparrow is the winner!

Seriously, this could keep us going in poster series for quite some time. Once we've discussed your thoughts and decided on the theme for the first set, I'll let you know the result.

Thanks again :o

Edited by LizzieJ

i would also like posters depicting different types of families rather than the stereotype mum and dad , also family posters showing grandparents etc., - we have been asked to have these showiing in the room but they are hard to come by and expensive. can you let us know what the magazine is actually called and when the poaters will be available.