Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery World Posters - What Would You Like?

Nursery World is planning a new series of lovely, big, colour posters to be published with the magazine. We'd be really interested to know what themes you would like for your nursery wall?

Some ideas - Children around the world; People who help us; Cookery; Gardening; Rhymes; Weather; Animals; Healthy living? Other ideas?

Let us know here or at nurseryworld@haymarket.com

Many thanks for your help :o

The Nursery World team

Hi Lizzie

Well I'll be quite specific here! I like posters that I can put up in our role play area that can be used in different ways. We have limited space, and often the posters that come in magazines are too large to display whole. So I like posters that can be used as is, or cut in half or quarters, laminated and used a bit more flexibly!

We're a packaway group so I like to laminate posters where I can because all that dragging in and out of the cupboard each day is very hard on our displays!

I also like photos of collections of things - so different fruits, foods, musical instruments or whatever since these can be used for a variety of purposes: might be good for stimulating discussion or for a shop display etc.

And although I'm sure a high quality publication such as Nursery World wouldn't consider it but I know some that do - please, no worksheets on the back! :o

Maz

PS And I meant to say: this explains why you were so knowledgeable about the Nursery World Show! xD

Edited by HappyMaz

Hello and welcome. I'm sure there will be lots of good ideas from the members here. I would like to see posters to support emotional health and well-being and good behaviours. Also seasons, environments, colours, change, families, traditional stories, and wherever possible these being inclusive in that they show people/children from different backgrounds and with disabilities.

totaly agree with maz we to are pack away and need to laminate posters and to have pictures as groups of objects would be good and also everyday items we find in the home or pictures of role play items eg hairdressers, docotrs etc

must say the posters have been fantstic resource

thank you

I don't like the posters of children pretending or role playing. I would rather have a picture of adults ie the really thing. For example if I'm having a clinic as a role play area I don't want to put a picture of other children wearing dressing up clothes with stethascopes (sp) but a picture of a real practise nurse or doctors surgery. On this theme I'm like some real world role play pictures especially aimed at outdoors, boys and mark making-a garage, petrol station, building site, lorries, motorways, gardening, airports, ferries, sign writer, chefs-of course all would be sex and disabilty varied

I'd like some photo pictures to support story extentions.Some ideas-I struggle to find picture of African life to support Handa's Surprise. A deep dark wood, log pile, snow storm ect for Gruffalo and bear hunt. A river for gingerbread man, chinese new year. A house made of bricks, stocks, straw for the pigs. Dog breeds for Hairy McClary.

I agree with the worksheet on the back because if you put the picture on a window it shows through and makes the picture unuseable.

Basic provision support pictures would be good-Water tray-seaside, pond, sealife, waterfall, paddling pool, tap etc

I'm rambling again...........

And although I'm sure a high quality publication such as Nursery World wouldn't consider it but I know some that do - please, no worksheets on the back! :o

I totally agree - please no worksheets of any kind, it really gives mixed messages about what high quality early years practice should look like.

Don't worry - absolutely no worksheets on our posters, we never do this. In the past, we've put stuff on the back such as a whole story (with the traditional tales posters), advice about good practice, suggestions for enhancing your provision/resources etc, or background information (famous paintings series).

We'd like to use both sides as it gives extra value, but we'll have to make sure the paper is thick enough not to allow show-through!

Great ideas given already and I would second the fact that it's difficult to find positive images of disabled people in everyday situations.

I also think beautiful landscapes - a mountain, a lake, a forest etc to inspire creativity and critical thinking would be useful

I would really like to have a map poster of the world. Whenever I show the children in my class where we live in relation to the rest of the world I can only ever find horrible 'adult' maps. It would be nice to have one that is specifically for children in the Early Years. It would be great to be able to point out all the places the children go on holiday etc!

Vicki

Great ideas already, I'd like one with photo's of everyday objects but portrayed from an unusual angle, to promote observation skills, and can you guess what it is type questions, open questions about the features of the objects etc. Have pictures of objects that can be provided easily by the settings so the 'real' thing can be displayed next to the poster.

Strangely enough I had a dream the other night that I placed everyday objects on my glass dining room table and took photo's of it from underneath (and above) the table then printed off and asked my children 'What is it'? My dream also included thoughts on how to do this without the flash of the camera reflecting off the glass table. :oxD:(

Peggy

You are very intelligent Peggy, even in your sleep. I just have ridiculous dreams. I dreamt last night that an ex-pupil , now aged about 25, came to pre-school and put the signing -in sheet all in her mouth at once, chewed it so it became a ball of paper.I don't know what happened next because I was woken up by the phone ringing.

My dream also included thoughts on how to do this without the flash of the camera reflecting off the glass table. :oxD:(

Were you clothed in your dream, Peggy? Otherwise you'd run the risk of emulating that now infamous photo of the nude man photographing his glass fronted display cabinet to sell on ebay. Reflections can be so unflattering! :(

Maz

We too laminate the posters to make them more durable. Assuming that this a possibilty for all settings it might be good to have some posters of things that are incomplete so that the children can add to them (we use laminated sheets as whiteboards so children are used to drawing on them). You could have empty vehicles for children to draw passengers on or put goods onto (using playdough with the poster flat on the table). Or dotted lines, swirls and zigzags to use in mark making (write over with a pen or make the shapes with string for example). Or something like a farm scene to add animals too.

You are very intelligent Peggy, even in your sleep. I just have ridiculous dreams. I dreamt last night that an ex-pupil , now aged about 25, came to pre-school and put the signing -in sheet all in her mouth at once, chewed it so it became a ball of paper.I don't know what happened next because I was woken up by the phone ringing.

ooh, thanks for the compliment bubblejack. :o

I wonder if your dream is telling you that you think that all the new changes are irrelevant, that actually past pupils did fine without all the government interventions of the last few decades. Your ex pupil certainly seems to have a strong character, with an ability to have the convictions of her/his own mind shown though clear actions.

Peggy

Were you clothed in your dream, Peggy? Otherwise you'd run the risk of emulating that now infamous photo of the nude man photographing his glass fronted display cabinet to sell on ebay. Reflections can be so unflattering! xD

Maz

hmmmmm, speak for yourself Maz, :o I'm sure MY reflection would be admired (should I inadvertently share it with the world - which I don't plan to do might I add) :(

Peggy

hmmmmm, speak for yourself Maz, :o I'm sure MY reflection would be admired (should I inadvertently share it with the world - which I don't plan to do might I add) xD

I'm sure you realised I was speaking to the man in the photo Peggy - your reflection would undoubtedly be admired by all who saw it... :(

:oxD:( Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I'm sure you are all gorgeous.

(where was it I put my glasses?)

Now then we could make our own charity calendar- pictures under glass - not too sure about 'bit's being missing though.

There are lots of good ideas here so that's the next 10 years of Nursery World taken care of!

I love the idea of a child friendly map of the world, adults going about their daily chores doctors, nurses, dustbin men etc - unusual fruits and veggies, photos of foods from around the world as a meal and yes a decent selection of photos portraying people of the 21st century.

Nikki

I also think beautiful landscapes - a mountain, a lake, a forest etc to inspire creativity and critical thinking would be useful

I check out £1 calendars in cheap book shops for this kind of photo , laminate the ones I use and you get 12 or 15 in each set :o I have sets of pictures for flowers, wild animals, places around the world, baby animals, types of houses, trains, our city, various foods-chinese, italian.....in fact its amazing what they do make calendar of!!!

My recent favourite was a fairy one. They provided a back drop to a small world using the fairy sets from Early learning that Santa brought xD

Now then we could make our own charity calendar- pictures under glass - not too sure about 'bit's being missing though.

We've been here before, Jacquie - do sheep like glass tables? :o

And aren't they your glasses - you know the ones perched on top of your head? xD

Maz