Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Closure - Staff Get Paid?

Bit of a difficult one and wanted to get some other opinions before I face the committee! :o

We are paid set hours and overtime if agreed in advance. So we are paid until the session ends (at 12.30) although we always stay at least 15 - 30 minutes due to late parents (the committe chair!!) and to tidy up. We dont get paid for this.

Anyway, the school was closed on Tuesday so the treasurer mentioned we wont get paid, however my view is that if we are paid set hours, this should be the case in a closure too! afterall the parents still pay for their child to attend even though we were closed! and both staff had to still pay for their own children's childcare.

So what do other settings do? I know funds are tight as only a small pre-school but I feel like they can't have it both ways, and they need to decide - do we get paid for hours worked OR for for set hours....

If parents still pay when there is a closure then you as staff should all definately get paid too!

At the pre-school I run we do roll fees for the closed session over to the next term so they don't lose out but we don't get paid for it.

We closed for a couple of days last year due to a major sickness outbreak. I felt we should refund the parents for the two days, and also felt that the staff should be paid. I lost out both ways, but felt it was the right thing to do :o

Whenever playgroup was closed due to snow I didn't get paid. Parents who paid the full fees also had this session refunded.

Perhaps if you feel that staff should be paid there should be some sort of agreement in advance that if the setting is forced to close for whatever reason, then staff will use these hours to catch up with paperwork etc. instead. :o

of course the staff should get paid...............................but i don't think parents should have to pay when the setting closes.Hard on the committee, but the staff shouldn't suffer because of this.My own group has managed to stay open but i will offer a replacement session to those families who simply couldn't get to us because the roads were too dangerous.i won't refund any money, as we were open, but i think it's fair to give a session instead.it makes for good customer relations i think

Absolutely.

We've only ever had to close for funerals (being in a Chapel) and parents don't pay, staff get paid. Children in receipt of NG chose another session in that week as a replacement

Guest MaryEMac

We were closed yesterday and I assumed that we would not get paid but I spoke to the treasurer this morning and she said that we would be paid full wages for the morning session and then the 2 staff who were down to work the smaller session in the afternoon would get min wage. All of the children who attend are funded on a thurs so the playgroup wouldn't be out of pocket. i wasn't gonna argue !!

Mary

I would just echo what everyone else has said. Paying your staff who were available and willing to work but were unable to because the setting was closed is really the least an employer can do. To do otherwise is not so good for staff morale!

Although obviously in my case this would come out of my wages! However I'm also making the assumption that you wouldn't have to pay back the nursery education funding for that day!

Maz

we got paid, also committee run group..

I also kept a note of all the extra unpaid hours staff did and reason for the overtime.. gave this to committee at regular intervals, so they are aware of the unpaid hours we did.. they decided to extend our hours to help cove this by 15 mins a day....

Inge

As a committee run pre-school we both refund parents if fee paying and all staff are paid at their full rate. At the end of the day my staff do enough work unpaid and its not as if this happens very often!!

look at it like this they still get the funding for the children of those that are of funding age so why should,nt staff get paid . I do lot for my pre school out of hours and don,t get paid or thankyou from commitee only from the preschool level 3 who is well aware of what i do and she does for free,sometimes me and her feel where the only staff their anyone else ever feel like that. How many of us are doing our learning journeys in our own time casue we do not have time in the setting .

Edited by bubblybee3107

I think it's almost universal that professional employees get paid even if their place of work isn't able to open. It might be interesting (if any of your committee are in employment and were unable to get to work on that day) to ask whether they were expecting to get paid or not. I bet they would be outraged if they thought they might have their salaries docked...

"I think it's almost universal that professional employees get paid even if their place of work isn't able to open. It might be interesting (if any of your committee are in employment and were unable to get to work on that day) to ask whether they were expecting to get paid or not. I bet they would be outraged if they thought they might have their salaries docked..."

TBH (although I'll be paying my staff for the day we closed) when I worked in the private sector we had to take such time off as holiday.

RR

TBH (although I'll be paying my staff for the day we closed) when I worked in the private sector we had to take such time off as holiday.

My DOH's company has just said the very same thing! :o

If we are unable to get into work due to adverse weather, we are expected to take the day as annual leave. If we have no AL left then as unpaid leave. This in not unusual across many LAs

However if the place of work is closed (as it was today) then you would not be expected to take this as AL.

Hi

Well Im querying this with my committee. Off on mon as no heating and off thurs as snow made it impossible for deputy to get in. The rest of us live locally and can walk in but we are a rural village. If deputy coudnt get in then no way agency could have got there (need another qualified to open). So chair decided to shut.

Strapped cash committee tho so not sure if we will get paid. Will let you know!

We won't get paid.....we had the heating breakdown a couple of weeks ago and although I was there, set up and consequently cleared away when children were telephoned to say we would be closed I wasn't paid a penny!

I only worked one day last week due to the weather and I will earn hardly anything...also am at the setting for an hour or more daily that is not paid for. :o

We are a private nursery - so what can I do? xD

(Don't answer that I know change jobs??)

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)