Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Closure - Staff Get Paid?

We are a private nursery - so what can I do? xD

(Don't answer that I know change jobs??)

If you're happy in your job then you should (as a team because everyone probably feels the same as you do) talk to your boss about all the extra unpaid work you do. No-one should work in the setting everyday for no pay - I can see that in the good old days we had to because there was little extra money floating about but now with nursery education funding every group should be able to pay their staff for the hours they are at work.

I'll bet you're working extra hours at home that you're not paid for too - it would be interesting to keep an unofficial time sheet to show exactly what you do that you don't get paid for.

Perhaps you could print out these posts and show them to your boss? :o

Sorry - can you tell I'm a bit grumpy this morning?

Maz

Hehe, what a thought - more teachers in schools than pupils!

As I live in a very small village with many children travelling in from outlying farms that is exactly what happened which is why I ended up washing up

My school where I teach is also in a village and on Monday there were 14 staff and 6 children.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/7871023.stm

This is the guidance issued to all teachers by my LA

Staff should keep their Head Teacher/school informed of their expected time of arrival to assist with internal arrangements and as the situation develops or changes. Local circumstances may well differ across the County. Staff need to make their own decisions based on their knowledge of conditions in certain areas, but remembering always that they have a duty to get to work and are paid on that basis. The Local Authority will not unreasonably withhold pay if staff do not get to work, but must be satisfied that staff have acted reasonably and responsibly in seeking to do so. This should be ascertained following a return to work interview when the school examines the individual circumstances and the efforts made to get to work.

Edited by Marion

I asked hubby about this and he said that if your place of work closes, then this is not your fault and you should probably still be paid. However, you need to have a look and see what it states in your contract. If you can't get to work but your place of work is still open then this is a different matter.

I think there are two different situations we're discussing here:

1 If the employee can't physically get to the setting

2 If the setting management/owners decide not to open

My comments above were in respect of the 2nd situation (as darlinbud originally said, it was the school's decision to close). If a member of staff is perfectly able and happy to turn up for work (eg if they live in the same village and can walk even if the village is snowed in) then if the management decides to close anyway, I feel they should still get paid. I worked for a large organisation which regularly decided not to open on the three working days between Christmas and New Year. We were always paid for these three days even though we didn't work them as it was the company's decision to close.

That seems the only fair thing to do to me. :o

A couple of weeks ago we had to close one day due to staff shortage (college, training and a funeral) but we were paid. Last week we closed Monday & Tuesday due to the snow and we weren't paid for that, open Wednesday, but had to shut Thursday afternoon and Friday as no heating, not sure if we we'll paid for that.

We are a small community pre-school (no committee) and I know my boss often doesn't pay herself so that she can pay staff. Myself and a colleague get paid for the day we are in college, which is fab but unusual. She's an extremely flexible boss who swop shifts around to accomadate staff, if your children are ill of you go, never an issue, on inset days if you need to bring your children,so long as you let her know, that's fine.Staff who are going the NVQ route, she often packs them off to a separate room to do their course work(staffing ratios permitting);staff have even gone off on holiday during term time. So all and all, the fact I didn't get paid didn't bother me, as I wasn't expecting it, would it bother me if I worked somewhere I didn't like, yes it would.

Royal Mail, gives you three options, annual leave, unpaid leave or report to your local office within a three mile radius, if there was a manager on duty I didn't like I'd take unpaid leave, if there was a decent one in then I'd make every effort to get there.

Karrie

It's swings and roundabouts for me really, yes I can swap days and take my children in too work..but I do lots of unpaid work but as we have all discussed before that's the nature of the job. :o

We are a private day nursery so if the decision is taken to not open the staff dont get paid..we closed at dinner on thursday and only got paid up untill we left.

The proprietor obviously wont charge the parents so therefore we dont get paid...bit rubbish but hey the way the private sector tends to work i think..staff have the option to take it as holiday but most wont...think they were glad of early finish and went to play in the snow :) lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)