Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-Schools staying open!!!

7 hours ago, Cait said:

Undervalued yes, but then they say that we’re so important we must be kept open - so why aren’t we having money thrown at us if we’re so vital?  

Exactly!  We are so important that we must take risks and stay open but we have been seriously underfunded for years!  We are open and I don't want to close but I want it to be safe for my staff and for me.  If we are so valued that we have been prioritised over schools (even though I know that isn't true in the slightest) then we should be offered asymptomatic testing, the vaccine and be properly funded.

One of the reasons we have to stay open is that so far, our LA's line on funding is that it will be a normal term.  We will only be able to claim for children attending and we won't be funded if we close unless it's to follow PHE advice.

We are a Governor Led Nursery at our school....we are opening in line with the school however parents are querying because of what Boris said. Is there anyone else in the same position ? It doesn't help and is very difficult explaining to parents the different settings titles.

3 hours ago, Tigger said:

We are a Governor Led Nursery at our school....we are opening in line with the school however parents are querying because of what Boris said. Is there anyone else in the same position ? It doesn't help and is very difficult explaining to parents the different settings titles.

So are you open for just Key Worker and Vulnerable?

Although I'm taking it with a pinch of salt at the moment (who remembers March's financial fiasco 😭) our LA seems to be saying they will honour funding as long as a child can take up a place- meaning if we say we are only taking KW and vulnerable then we will not get full funding for all children.

A few settings have had replies to enquires stating this, but I haven't had a reply confirming this yet. (I did only ask a few hours ago)

Based on todays numbers I can work with it if we can keep our numbers low.

I did wonder if this whole thing is a ploy to close settings by the back door.

I fully agree that some parents do need full day-care in order to work, often term-time preschool type environments do 'shared care' so obviously these parents do already have a 'plan B' regarding care.

Some (many) preschools will financially need to close, therefore many children will actually get to stay at home. The government has  basically left childcare providers to sort out this whole issue out themselves!  Whilst they remain the good guys by keeping  'all' early years open.

I've not explained that very well, but I know what I mean. :) 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I've not explained that very well, but I know what I mean. :) 

I totally understand what you mean.  So far next week we have between 5-10 children wanting to attend. None have key worker parents, most have parents that don’t work and a couple who are currently furloughed.   I am incandescent with rage that we are being put in this position so they can have their “me time”

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I totally understand what you mean.  So far next week we have between 5-10 children wanting to attend. None have key worker parents, most have parents that don’t work and a couple who are currently furloughed.   I am incandescent with rage that we are being put in this position so they can have their “me time”

Must have their me-time. We have a couple of these.  Well  to be fair one is a key worker..... works 7pm-11pm in a supermarket 🤔

35 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Exactly - I don't have anyone relying on me to open so that they can work

I just think that we have royally shafted (again) 

I firmly believe that we should be closed, or only places for key worker or vulnerable children

• Like 2

Just now, zigzag said:

Heard a beauty today, retold by a head teacher on Twitter.  Parent saying they needed their child to attend school as they were a dog Walker and walked dogs for NHS workers!

Jeez you couldn't make it up could you

9 hours ago, zigzag said:

we have aprox 25 in each morning now instead of the usual 48 some are Key workers but some are not. Parents of those who are not even managed to tell us that little jonny didnt want to come in as big sally is at home!  and we had a few of those! wow thanks! I have a new starter today, and parents asking for more hours!

There is a debate in Westminster Hall next Tuesday afternoon titled 'Effect of COVID-19 outbreak on EY settings'. The chair of the APPG the FSF co-sponsors, Steve Brine MP, will be speaking on behalf of PVI settings. Do get in touch with your MP and express your concerns. This is gathering momentum now and needs everyone to voice their opinions and worries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So we are back at work next week, we have reduced our hours to mornings only and we will only be offering three mornings currently. On one of these mornings we will only have 5 children. (Until everyone else thinks it safe and returns) I am looking at being outside all the time, either in the playground or going on nature walks etc.  I think this lowers the risk of transmission and will reduce the amount of cleaning etc.  S anyone else thinking of being outside only? (I am also hoping that some parents might complain and then I can politely tell them to keep their child at home with them in the warm!) All the children attending have a non working or furloughed parent at home, this is why I am so frustrated!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, zigzag said:

So we are back at work next week, we have reduced our hours to mornings only and we will only be offering three mornings currently. On one of these mornings we will only have 5 children. (Until everyone else thinks it safe and returns) I am looking at being outside all the time, either in the playground or going on nature walks etc.  I think this lowers the risk of transmission and will reduce the amount of cleaning etc.  S anyone else thinking of being outside only? (I am also hoping that some parents might complain and then I can politely tell them to keep their child at home with them in the warm!) All the children attending have a non working or furloughed parent at home, this is why I am so frustrated!

Well our three all refused to go outside at all today! 😂  .......... they complained it was to cold, although to be hones it wasn't much warmer in the hall.

We've already told one parent their child needs warmer clothes, he was cold but refused to put even his hat on. I had mine on all morning.

3 minutes ago, Steve said:

Re Helen's suggestion of writing to your MPs, I think it's worth a try. Apparently they are getting an increasing number of queries/complaints, and it's rising up the political agenda. :)

I shall be writing to mine- he's actually in a very hotspot area, even though he's not the MP for where my preschool is. (I'm literally almost the last house in his area 😂)

26 minutes ago, Steve said:

Re Helen's suggestion of writing to your MPs, I think it's worth a try. Apparently they are getting an increasing number of queries/complaints, and it's rising up the political agenda. :)

I will certainly be writing to mine - it will provide a wonderful opportunity for me to express my complete outrage

I took the decision, with support from parents, to keep my setting closed - great decision as it turns out, as LA will only fund those children actually present, I think I would have had no more than three each morning - that level of funding would hardly cover my rent 

However my initial decision was based on safety concerns - I simply will not/cannot put the children, their families and the groups adults at increased risk of infection - the infection rate in my area is terrifying

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I will certainly be writing to mine - it will provide a wonderful opportunity for me to express my complete outrage

I took the decision, with support from parents, to keep my setting closed - great decision as it turns out, as LA will only fund those children actually present, I think I would have had no more than three each morning - that level of funding would hardly cover my rent 

Would love a copy of a letter sent if you do Sunnyday, that maybe I could tweak for my MPxx

• Like 1

Oh I will add that I don't have any parents relying on me to allow them to work

That seemed to be what our glorious leader was indicating was the rationale for keeping us open

Might try and find the comment from Prof. Calum Semple that this was purely political decision which was not supported by SAGE 

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

If we weren't being funded we would be closing too. I'd rather pay the staff to stay at home than to open for just 3-4 children we currently have.

I suspect our number will go up over the new few weeks though :( 

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

If we weren't being funded we would be closing too. I'd rather pay the staff to stay at home than to open for just 3-4 children we currently have.

I suspect our number will go up over the new few weeks though :( 

Do you think they will go up - I wouldn't be too sure - I think (very sadly) that we haven't reached the peak of this wave yet - surely if infection rates continue to grow right minded people will be less inclined to send their children

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)