Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-Schools staying open!!!

1 minute ago, sunnyday said:

Do you think they will go up - I wouldn't be too sure - I think (very sadly) that we haven't reached the peak of this wave yet - surely if infection rates continue to grow right minded people will be less inclined to send their children

Yes in all honestly :(

I haven't been out of the house since we finished 11th Dec, apart from work 3 times this week. I drive just under 3 miles mainly through forest to the very edge of the town my setting is in.

I have just been totally shocked at the amount of people out and about in our local town.I've seen reports on local Facebook pages but never seen it for myself.  Today I had to collect something, Andy wanted to give his car a run so he took me this afternoon, we did a loop and came back through the towns high st........ well it was like a normal busy afternoon! Everyone standing around chatting coffees in hand, all the benches has people on them, and not one parking space available. 

Added to this when I left work at lunchtime the park  playground  was completely overflowing with parents and children.

I think the locals are now going back to normal 😳     

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Yes in all honestly :(

I haven't been out of the house since we finished 11th Dec, apart from work 3 times this week. I drive just under 3 miles mainly through forest to the very edge of the town my setting is in.

I have just been totally shocked at the amount of people out and about in our local town.I've seen reports on local Facebook pages but never seen it for myself.  Today I had to collect something, Andy wanted to give his car a run so he took me this afternoon, we did a loop and came back through the towns high st........ well it was like a normal busy afternoon! Everyone standing around chatting coffees in hand, all the benches has people on them, and not one parking space available. 

Added to this when I left work at lunchtime the park  playground  was completely overflowing with parents and children.

I think the locals are now going back to normal 😳     

Blimey, that is truly terrifying, just what is wrong with people? Do they not watch the news?

11 hours ago, zigzag said:

Blimey, that is truly terrifying, just what is wrong with people? Do they not watch the news?

No, they are obviously far to busy being out all day to watch the news!

Seriously though, we are in one of the highest infection rate areas is England.😩

• Sad 1

This is the letter June O'Sullivan from LEYF has shared. You might want to adapt it and send to your MP before Tuesday's debate:

Dear (Insert Name of Local MP)

As my local MP and on behalf of the UK’s Early Years sector, I am writing to urge the Government's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation to vaccinate ALL nursery and childcare workers as a matter of urgency – along with immediate access to free testing, currently available to other essential workers.

So far, ministers have failed to give any valid explanation as to why the Early Years (where cross infection is high) is not being prioritised after society's most vulnerable groups and NHS workers have been given the jab. This is especially pertinent considering many childcare workers are aged 50+.

Nurseries are the lifeline in keeping both people in work (especially front-line NHS staff) and the economy afloat which is why this essential service must be fully supported by Number 10. The country needs an Early Years workforce that is immune from the virus rather than one which is seriously debilitated by illness.

Yours sincerely .

At the Newham conference this morning, Alison Peacock (CEO Chartered College of Teaching) reported that Dr Jenny Harries (Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England) said that very young children do not transmit the virus as much as older children. I can't find any evidence for this, so it might be worth mentioning this in your letter too. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Helen said:

At the Newham conference this morning, Alison Peacock (CEO Chartered College of Teaching) reported that Dr Jenny Harries (Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England) said that very young children do not transmit the virus as much as older children. I can't find any evidence for this, so it might be worth mentioning this in your letter too. 🙂

Sad to say that I can't take anything that Dr Jenny Harries says seriously, she was happy for The Cheltenham Festival (horse racing) and the big football match (can't remember the details) to go ahead in March of last year....

I would much rather listen to Professor Calum Semple:

Earlier this week BBC Breakfast interviewed Professor Calum Semple, a virologist and member of SAGE. When asked he if he could give any idea why early years settings were remaining open when schools were not, he said “no, I can’t” he went on to say that the decision to do so may be political as it was not a scientific one, he added, the reality is that, under these circumstances every opportunity to remove social mixing is vitally important.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Earlier this week BBC Breakfast interviewed Professor Calum Semple, a virologist and member of SAGE. When asked he if he could give any idea why early years settings were remaining open when schools were not, he said “no, I can’t” he went on to say that the decision to do so may be political as it was not a scientific one, he added, the reality is that, under these circumstances every opportunity to remove social mixing is vitally important.

Am I ok to use this is my letter?  I will giggle the words around a bit? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

“no, I can’t” he went on to say that the decision to do so may be political as it was not a scientific one, he added, the reality is that, under these circumstances every opportunity to remove social mixing is vitally important.

Follow the science...oh no wait don’t follow the science 🤔 

I emailed my MP but the generic response was ‘unless this is a COVID emergency you will not receive a response’...that sounds about right 🤬

15 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I emailed my MP but the generic response was ‘unless this is a COVID emergency you will not receive a response’...that sounds about right 🤬

I have emailed my MP - also got an 'automatic response' apparently he is receiving an unprecedented amount of emails (I bet he is!) but will aim to respond as soon as possible - I won't be holding my breath......  

5 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I have emailed my MP - also got an 'automatic response' apparently he is receiving an unprecedented amount of emails (I bet he is!) but will aim to respond as soon as possible - I won't be holding my breath......  

23 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Me too! Although I did get asked my address as I deliberately omitted as my setting is in a different consistency  (sorry keeps auto changing the word!).  

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

Me too! Although I did get asked my address as I deliberately omitted as my setting is in a different consistency  (sorry keeps auto changing the word!).  

Me too, I just gave my setting address as that was the email address it went from (though I am in the same constituency)

47 minutes ago, Gezabel said:

Well confirmed case in a 2yr old for us. children and staff now is self isolation - setting closed as we have no staff 😞

we have had so many tested but as yet none are positive. Its only a matter of time before we get a case, I am increasingly worried as next week quite a few children are due to return after being off for the last week, we had about 18 decide to keep them at home but most of them have changed their minds

1 hour ago, Gezabel said:

Well confirmed case in a 2yr old for us. children and staff now is self isolation - setting closed as we have no staff 😞

Oh no Gezabel, I am so sorry to read that - I sincerely hope that you stay well xxx

1 hour ago, twinthinguk said:

we have had so many tested but as yet none are positive. Its only a matter of time before we get a case, I am increasingly worried as next week quite a few children are due to return after being off for the last week, we had about 18 decide to keep them at home but most of them have changed their minds

That’s what I fear may happen with our lot.  As soon as they know some are back at pre-school they will think it’s ok and appropriate to send them.  We are reopening next week but to be fair a couple who said they were coming back have backed out already so we are opening for 3 children on Monday and Wednesday morning and for the time being have closed on the Friday as we only had 2.  (None are key workers or vulnerable)

2 hours ago, Gezabel said:

Oh gosh, sending best wishes Gezabel

1 hour ago, twinthinguk said:

we had about 18 decide to keep them at home but most of them have changed their minds

15 chn and 2 staff down (all by choice) so no idea what will happen when they start changing their minds and wanting to send them back 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Mouseketeer

A post from Dolphin, as they were having trouble posting, I posted in it's own thread - but incase that gets lost I've posted here too.  

This is a petition to close early years settings inline  with the rest of education. You may have already seen it  but could you  please pass it on to anyone you know in early years and any of your family members and friends.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/566718

I don’t normal add anything to this site so not sure what I’m doing but I feel so strongly that this needs to done after having COV19 myself.(mar/April this year). I didn’t know how to post it on the forum so please could you post the above message as you seen to be a regular user. 

Are we in early years settings required by the government to provide any learning activities online for our families?  During the last lockdown we posted activity ideas etc onto Tapestry for our families but this was because we wanted to.  I have seen a lot of settings saying they are doing proper online interaction and learning activities and am getting a bit worried that this is now an expectation.  

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Are we in early years settings required by the government to provide any learning activities online for our families?  During the last lockdown we posted activity ideas etc onto Tapestry for our families but this was because we wanted to.  I have seen a lot of settings saying they are doing proper online interaction and learning activities and am getting a bit worried that this is now an expectation.  

from our borough it says maintained settings only but we have organised some online content. I do not want to put parents under ANY pressure however and if they have a sibling i do not want them to be using the home laptop when others may need it. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. The child in question is, according to mum, bouncing off the walls as normal - no symptoms whatsoever. sadly three siblings now all positive and one quite unwell 😞 Public health England were outstanding with their help/advice/ support - ages on the phone - all questions answered thoroughly and emailed template letters to send out. One for the children who now have to self isolate one and one for everyone else

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, zigzag said:

I’ve also seen some amazing ‘here’s my plan’ posts where all meet on zoom at this time and we’ll be doing that  etc...forget that! We did things like a member of staff reading a story, yoga pose of the week, a few ideas to try at home e.g can you find these things when out for a walk, find some tin cans from the cupboard can you find the biggest/smallest/heaviest/put them in size order type thing but if we aren’t keeping their funding not much of that will be happening either, these councils can’t have it always, if they want us to ‘teach’ those staying home then pay us 🤬

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I’ve also seen some amazing ‘here’s my plan’ posts where all meet on zoom at this time and we’ll be doing that  etc...forget that! We did things like a member of staff reading a story, yoga pose of the week, a few ideas to try at home e.g can you find these things when out for a walk, find some tin cans from the cupboard can you find the biggest/smallest/heaviest/put them in size order type thing but if we aren’t keeping their funding not much of that will be happening either, these councils can’t have it always, if they want us to ‘teach’ those staying home then pay us 🤬

i think this may be the purpose of saying maintained settings because they can't furlough these staff so they have to continue to be employed and of course you not going to do that without them working! BUT for the most part we are also not allowed to furlough our staff so therefore we should be getting the funding...and perhaps then the expectation is that we should also be working from home?

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)