Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enter if you’ve washed your hands

Mouseketeer

I can’t believe we are still free of the C word (and I don’t mean C*******s Sue).

We have usually discussed, shared, planned and prepped for anything that’s being thrown at us by now 🤔

Where is everyone at with how they’re trying to managing C-V? (Apart from hand washing to the tune of baby shark but at least it’s more catchy than Happy Birthday) 

I guess the covering SSP for 14 days was good news in the budget but not so much that we seem to not have made the list of ‘exempt’ from small  business rates list :-( 

I read a great article by Rebecca on FB but can’t find it on here?

Edited by Mouseketeer

Hi Mouseketeer,

I know the article you mean! It was a really informative and helpful piece by Rebecca about how she and her team have been preparing for C-V. It was here in Nursery World (although I think you'll need to be logged into Nursery World to read it). 

I hope that helps. 

• Like 1

I mentioned it the other day on the Friday thread xD

We had one of the first cases in our next local big town, with no know direct links to the cause of infection- So we felt we need to be seen to be proactive (whatever our personal thoughts)

We now have everybody entering the build having to wash hands etc. The parents love it as now that can just drop them at the door a speed off!xDxD

As long as funding will continue if we need to close, financially we should be ok as we have very few children that actually pay.

Our shops have been cleared out of pasta, toilets rolls and cleaning stuff etc for well over a week now....o.O  (and any other random item that someone on Facebooks decides to name!)

• Like 1

We are also on the hand washing on arrival, tomorrow I will send an action plan to parents updating regards ‘delay phase’, new continuous coughs, high temps (now we know the symptoms to be aware of) and covering closure due to staff shortages and enforced closure.

We will be around £700 a week down from fee payers if we have to close, still no decision from our county re funding (which I think is despicable at this stage) and RSA won’t cover the ‘loss of revenue’ element on our insurance because we don’t have Group 5 - 9 insurance...that’s about 40k in premiums over the years for absolutely nothing 😡

• Sad 1

I'll be sending out my updating letters Monday.  I'm hoping they've seen the news this evening and will use there own common sense tomorrow (haven't got the energy to write it all up tonight, and print off etc-as I had to go out early and I've only just got in)

To be fair our parents have been fantastic so far, and we've had a fair few off this week with minor coughs/ colds/sniffles that would normally be in regardless- the parents have actually said it's not fair on us [staff] to be coughed and spluttered over!

One set of parent is keeping their child off as they are genuinely  worried about virus. :(

• Like 1

I had a parent come in this morning with her child said she was running a temperature so she'd given her calpol and she had a cough....but she would be fine. I sent her home...Mother VERY CROSS! 

then a prospective parent asking to come in after they came back from their holiday abroad....i said no! seems sensible not to open ourselves up to un-needed  visits

most parents being sensible. I have now sent out info saying if running a temperature or has a cough not allowed in (to be honest not much different to normal then!!) but i do seem to be having sensible parents. Had one in a mild panic yesterday but not too bad in general so far.......

6 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

had a parent come in this morning with her child said she was running a temperature so she'd given her calpol and she had a cough....but she would be fine. I sent her home...Mother VERY CROSS! 

I am speechless!

8 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

I had a parent come in this morning with her child said she was running a temperature so she'd given her calpol and she had a cough....but she would be fine. I sent her home...Mother VERY CROSS! 

What planet is she living on? ......go FM 👏

I’ve sent out info today, kind of skirted over the fee paying issue if we have to close for now, what are anyone else’s thoughts on this? And still no funding news, I think I might ask all funding parents to say their child is ill that will buy 2 weeks at the end of this term and 2 weeks at the start of the next (our agreement is already keep up to 2 weeks in a term), then we’d have to carry the odd one wanting a holiday later in the term (providing they can still go anywhere) sorted to end of April 😝 

We’ve also decided we will close if both manager and deputy having to self-isolate at the same time, we don’t have a 3rd in charge and would be no one with DSL training so seemed easier, what is anyone else doing in that scenario? 

Hi Mousie

I don't have any fee payers so not an issue for me

No idea abut funding

We would also have to close if my deputy and I were both self-isolating, haven't added that to my notice as I really wanted to make it short and to the point, I will cross that bridge if/when we come to it

If I was a betting woman, my guess would be that we, as a country, will not return after Easter hols - we will see

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

We’ve also decided we will close if both manager and deputy having to self-isolate at the same time, we don’t have a 3rd in charge and would be no one with DSL training so seemed easier, what is anyone else doing in that scenario? 

I believe that the DSL just needs to be 'contactable' - So you could be a phone call away for advice etc if needed?..  That is what we have been told,  although we do have 3 trained staff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Always one...

7 minutes ago, louby loo said:

:o

have I shocked you louby xD it's only a guess, we surely can't continue to swim against the tide in this country - schools are closed in Italy (obviously), France, Germany, Denmark why are our 'experts' and Boris so certain that this isn't the right move?

Fees:  Difficult one.

We have very few fee payers, so sort of crossing that bridge when it comes to it. Although that said we have had one parent today asking if she can have her summer term bill as soon as poss! O.o  Not sure if she's going to be happy with sunnydays prediction :/

I think I might carry 'hours' over for fee payers, so possibly offer extra hours in September when we are quieter - although these will be funded by then, but can just have extra hours. This would be for a forced closure, if for any reason we chose for ourself to close think I'd refund.

3 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

have I shocked you louby xD it's only a guess, we surely can't continue to swim against the tide in this country - schools are closed in Italy (obviously), France, Germany, Denmark why are our 'experts' and Boris so certain that this isn't the right move?

I can sort of see his thinking if everyone is reasonably fit, healthy and low risk......... But I'm not sure how it works if you have elderly relatives etc. A few of my staff  have their own parents in 70/80s that they care for, obviously they are worried about spreading the virus to them.

20 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I can sort of see his thinking if everyone is reasonably fit, healthy and low risk......... But I'm not sure how it works if you have elderly relatives etc. A few of my staff  have their own parents in 70/80s that they care for, obviously they are worried about spreading the virus to them.

Or if you have a husband at home who would not come through this virus :(

39 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Or if you have a husband at home who would not come through this virus :(

Exactly!   I really think early years should be closed as they have absolutely no control over coughs and sputters >:(

Ok, maybe a bait harsh, but possibly  pared down for parents that genuinely need childcare, and not the coffee shop gym bunnies!

Rant over 

well we've heard from our LEA we will be funded for any time we are closed if told to by a registered authority :)

We have decided not to refund fees but will carry them over to next term and use them as a credit.:)

We have a holiday club running....this is more tricky ...we will have to refund if closed (and still have to pay staff!!) if not officially closed we will continue to run!>:(

listening to the news tonight it seems to be less likely that schools will close.

if myself and deputy are ill (likely as she's my daugther and lives with me!!)  we will ask ofsted to allow one of our trustees to fill in !! (this is a work in progress need to sort this one out!!!!!) i will be in touch so no DSL issue

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Exactly!   I really think early years should be closed as they have absolutely no control over coughs and sputters >:(

Ok, maybe a bait harsh, but possibly  pared down for parents that genuinely need childcare, and not the coffee shop gym bunnies!

Rant over 

I am worried that our Government are not acting fast enough...…..but hey what do I know

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

well we've heard from our LEA we will be funded for any time we are closed if told to by a registered authority :)

We have decided not to refund fees but will carry them over to next term and use them as a credit.:)

We have a holiday club running....this is more tricky ...we will have to refund if closed (and still have to pay staff!!) if not officially closed we will continue to run!>:(

listening to the news tonight it seems to be less likely that schools will close.

if myself and deputy are ill (likely as she's my daugther and lives with me!!)  we will ask ofsted to allow one of our trustees to fill in !! (this is a work in progress need to sort this one out!!!!!) i will be in touch so no DSL issue

All sounds very positive fm

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 20:21, Mouseketeer said:

We will be around £700 a week down from fee payers if we have to close, still no decision from our county re funding (which I think is despicable at this stage) and RSA won’t cover the ‘loss of revenue’ element on our insurance because we don’t have Group 5 - 9 insurance...that’s about 40k in premiums over the years for absolutely nothing 😡

ok so RSA will not cover you for covid unless you take more than K250 (As above group 5-9)  ...so if you are big and dont need it you have it and if you are small and really need it you do not!!!!!

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

ok so RSA will not cover you for covid unless you take more than K250 (As above group 5-9)  ...so if you are big and dont need it you have it and if you are small and really need it you do not!!!!!

That seems about the size of it, I really can’t see where the difference in the ‘loss of revenue’ cover is apart from the amount you can claim up to, there must be some small print somewhere that give a different ‘loss of revenue’ cover than another, this is how they advertise the insurance on the EYA website, it says you can increase the amount but where does it say increasing the amount gets you  ‘notifiable disease’ cover 😡

892A8768-E7B1-434F-B0B1-98F86120A022.jpeg

Edited by Mouseketeer

11 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

That seems about the size of it, I really can’t see where the difference in the ‘loss of revenue’ cover is apart from the amount you can claim up to, there must be some small print somewhere that give a different ‘loss of revenue’ cover than another, this is how they advertise the insurance on the EYA website, it says you can increase the amount but where does it say increasing the amount gets you  ‘notifiable disease’ cover 😡

892A8768-E7B1-434F-B0B1-98F86120A022.jpeg

It was difficult to find! but yes it is the noifiable disease bit that is attached to the higher premium catagories. We already pay a premium to cover the amount of revenue we have but i'm not in the group 5 catagory. they are now not insuring any new claims for that / they won't let you upgrade and you will need to have had it in place since the 14th feb.

If you log in to your EYA accoun the info about Corvid is on there and you can follow the trail!

10 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

If you log in to your EYA accoun the info about Corvid is on there and you can follow the trail!

I did find it, but you’d think the ‘notifiable disease’ extension should be included on this advert with the other 3 optional extensions ...we have all of them :-/ 

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I did find it, but you’d think the ‘notifiable disease’ extension should be included on this advert with the other 3 optional extensions ...we have all of them :-/ 

Blooming annoying isn't it!!??? feel a complaint coming on.

Are people refusing entry to anyone with a cough OR a high temperature now?? just trying to keep abreast of what seems to be a minute by minute change!!!

4 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Are people refusing entry to anyone with a cough OR a high temperature now?? just trying to keep abreast of what seems to be a minute by minute change!!!

We sent this letter out Friday, and will this week (different do a variety of sessions). It not my work, but was share by someone on Facebook. 

I only print things in small daily amounts as things a changing so quickly. 

Covid-19 12:03:2020.docx

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Blooming annoying isn't it!!??? feel a complaint coming on.

Yes

• Thanks 1