Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reducing costs and increasing income!

So after being very busy for the last seven years, we have hit an all time low with numbers.  We knew we were going to run at a loss this year and decided that we could absorb this cost with the hope that it would be for this year only.  Sadly numbers are predicted to be low for another year.  After a urgent committee meeeting last week it was decided that we would have to fundraise madly to try and stay open.  Obviously there are lots of settings in our position and sadly a lot who have already closed.  Just thought it might be good to start a thread where we could share ideas on what we are all doing to cut down on costs/outgoings and what people are doing to increase fundraising contributions etc.

gash it's a bit depressing on here this week!

Ok practical head on.....

Ask parents to donate items. snacks/food for cookery/loo rolls dishwasher tablets etc etc . write a list and post it on the door. In order to keep our costs down we are searching for.......can you help??? (amazing what people turn up with)

Create an Amazon wish list and allow parents access. they always give donations at the end of the year but i've just received a £50 voucher this morning from a grateful parent!

Don't be silly about sticking to tradition! I recently looked at the accounts for a charity group and they had stuck rigidly to the events they had always put on (like going to a farm or a show at Christmas) they went out of business and I thought to myself why did they do that. I think they were scared of changing it. Having changed many traditions over the last few years I can say that most parents don't care...they would rather have a pre-school than a mobile farm visit!!!

Don't be afraid to blag...what can you get for free or an you ask for a discount. If you buy in bulk you should be able to get a cheaper price

Keep an eye on special offers from ANYWHERE! if loo rolls are cheap in Asda and they beat the price of your supplier go get um or ask the supplier to match the price

Ask local businesses to sponsor you for an event or for items. Will the local garden centre give you plants or the local builders sponsor you for sand or top soil???

Fundraise....be inventive ! there are lots of ideas online .If you ring the changes people don't get bored and each time you will attract another set of people. Try to include people outside the pre-school if possible or your market will be limited.

Find out what parents do ...they may have a charitable arm in their companies that could help with decorating/gardening etc or rotary/lions club etc could help with an event or project.

Be enthusiastic!!! there are only 2 answers to a can you question!!!

• Like 4

It is a bit depressing, isn't it.? I seem to remember a government edict some time ago when Liz Truss was the minister for Early Years (shudder!).  It mentioned providing more services from the premises along the lines of, provide a coffee machine for parents to buy coffee on their way to work, take in parcels for parents, and pack lunches and make dinners to take away for families.  I suppose we could put the children to work and take in washing?  

But on a more serious note, there are some things that children can be a useful part of that can make good money.  Planting up bedding plants in the Spring.  Making Christmas wreaths to sell.   Making veg seedling sets for planting out in the summer (think brassicas and leeks).  Things that are useful and families will probably buy anyway, and full of learning. 

Edited by HoneyPancakes
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Similar position at our setting. Healthy bank balance for past few years and now numbers are lower and costs (espically maintenance) are higher.

A member of staff has just given notice, normally we'd be quick to replace/recruit but wondering if we can cope without plus a member of staff on Maternity leave is due back in September!

As well as fundraising, we are thinking at looking at grants etc (we're a charity).

Four years ago I joined the committee and so much has changed. I feel for all the smaller settings going through this. 

• Like 1

On 10/04/2019 at 12:49, HoneyPancakes said:

It mentioned providing more services from the premises along the lines of, provide a coffee machine for parents to buy coffee on their way to work, take in parcels for parents, and pack lunches and make dinners to take away for families.  I suppose we could put the children to work and take in washing?  

I was at a meeting where this was being pushed, along with having breakfast to go ready for them as parents might not have had time for breakfast themselves...’well b&#a%y get up earlier’ was my first thought and my 2nd thought was ‘are we supposed to employ extra staff to do all this or current staff for longer hours as have to maintain ratios’ and surely that would just defeat the object of generating more income .....oh wait on maybe we are supposed to do all that for free too :-/

I’m trying to rally my committee to introduce a ‘fairer funding contribution’ for consumables and a lunch time charge (little point in a fee increase) but they see a healthy bank balance and don’t see the need for it ....though that balance is gradually being eroded by underfunding and they aren’t thinking ahead to the ‘what ifs’ :-( 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I was at a meeting where this was being pushed, along with having breakfast to go ready for them as parents might not have had time for breakfast themselves...’well b&#a%y get up earlier’ was my first thought and my 2nd thought was ‘are we supposed to employ extra staff to do all this or current staff for longer hours as have to maintain ratios’ and surely that would just defeat the object of generating more income .....oh wait on maybe we are supposed to do all that for free too :-/

I’m trying to rally my committee to introduce a ‘fairer funding contribution’ for consumables and a lunch time charge (little point in a fee increase) but they see a healthy bank balance and don’t see the need for it ....though that balance is gradually being eroded by underfunding and they aren’t thinking ahead to the ‘what ifs’ :-( 

How are we supposed to be taken seriously as an industry when idiots propose things like this! would they ask the local headteacher to make breakfast for their parents? no wonder men don't want to come in to this profession!

• Like 3

I had someone from the LA come to talk to me about budgeting as we are struggling financially.  She told me that to be on the safe side, I should have 3 months wages in the bank account in reserve.  That would be about £55,000.  Where the blooming heck is that meant to come from? Sooo helpful!O.o

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stargrower said:

I had someone from the LA come to talk to me about budgeting as we are struggling financially.  She told me that to be on the safe side, I should have 3 months wages in the bank account in reserve.  That would be about £55,000.  Where the blooming heck is that meant to come from? Sooo helpful!O.o

Oh my goodness me, what planet is she on?  We have a contingency for redundancies and sick pay, after that we are out of luck.

4 hours ago, Stargrower said:

I have no words...…:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)