Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-School Future

smudge65

Hi

Our committee are concerned about finances and are considering closing the pre-school end of financial year, maybe even earlier.  There is a meeting planned for next week, any words of wisdom on questions to ask would be really appreciated.  

Many thanks.

This is so distressing for everyone. It is becoming a common occurrence in our area with big national groups taking over . This is removing all choices from parents and I suspect they will not realise until it is too late for most of us. I suspect we will be in the same position at the end of our lease (not for a few years but still a bit of a death knell )

As to practicalities....redundancy pay/costs of closing/ do you need to dismantle or put back to original / timings for staff and parents (ensure staff meetings are held early and expect people to leave before the end) Plan for storage of information and reporting to ofsted /informing landlords?

By looking at these things it may give you an idea of how long you can go on for ..if you are term time then try to aim for an end of term rather than financial year?

Have they spoken to the LEA ...is there any rescue funding if places are needed?

Is there an appetite to keep the setting going or have they given up?

Hi Finleysmaid

Thank you for a quick reply.

There's enough for redundancies, and there's no rent to pay on land. Can't go into detail here on what will happen to the land as it's a bit sensitive!

I think the committee have given up hope, and to be fair to them if we're losing money monthly the options are limited.  There was talk of merging with school, will ask if this is still an option.

I just feel so sad as it's such a fabulous place for the children and to lose it after it being loved by so many for so many years is heartbreaking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sad to hear smudge. I am preschool also and a few years ago started offering afterschool (breakfast and afterschool) to local school. This has been our saving. Not sure if that is a possibility and yes i know  it is diversifying from your main objective of supporting preschool age children but the income might help.

That said my afterschool gives me such joy to see children in play and support those who struggle making friends at school.

Good luck.

LKeyTeach

We tried the before and after school club offering it to our families and those of local school, unfortunately it wasn't a success.  The school families all responded favourably when we sent out a questionnaire but then hardly any used the club! It only helped to add to the loss for the year we ran it.

Pleased it has worked for you and your children.

Sorry smudge. Just an idea.

But i think there is a lot of behind the scenes support given to the big groups. I cannot see how they survive. My guess is loans. Will be interested to see what happens when loans start getting called in and we are not around.

7 hours ago, smudge65 said:

Hi Finleysmaid

Thank you for a quick reply.

There's enough for redundancies, and there's no rent to pay on land. Can't go into detail here on what will happen to the land as it's a bit sensitive!

I think the committee have given up hope, and to be fair to them if we're losing money monthly the options are limited.  There was talk of merging with school, will ask if this is still an option.

I just feel so sad as it's such a fabulous place for the children and to lose it after it being loved by so many for so many years is heartbreaking.

Humm sounds like the landlord may have a more lucrative deal on the table. I think a conversation with the school is on the books either with or without the knowledge of your committee:ph34r: perhaps you could set up your own provision on the school site? or work in conjunction with them to provide a service to the community? You could transfer monies and equipment depending on how you are set up.

Remember you have assets to sell too like tables/chairs /toys etc

• Like 1

Really sad to hear this is happening yet again, it’s just becoming a common occurrence and it’s so awful.  I would have a word with your local school and possibly get something set up there.  I think schools are quite eager to provide Pre-school care as it makes them look good and they may jump at the opportunity.  Wishing you lots of luck and hope it turns out well for you, keep us updated.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 09:38, smudge65 said:

Hi

Our committee are concerned about finances and are considering closing the pre-school end of financial year, maybe even earlier.  There is a meeting planned for next week, any words of wisdom on questions to ask would be really appreciated.  

Many thanks.

So sorry to hear this - have you spoken to your LA?

Wishing you all the luck in the world with this smudge

Hi Smudge65

So sorry to hear of your plight. Are you a member of the Early Years Alliance ( formly known as Preschool Learning Alliance)  If so, I would definitely give them a call for some advice on ways to keep going, or on the process of closure, as this can be quite involved. If not a member, I would certainly be seeking what ever professional help/advice possible there is to try and stop you from closing. Could you look into any sustainable funding from organisations that help charities, or do some fund raising yourself to keep you going?

Such a heavy and sad situation to be in. Hoping you can find a solution and wishing you all the best. x

• 3 months later...

My setting is in a similar situation. We have been told to be out by 2020 so the school can use our site as part of their school. I know your initial post was in Feb, has anything happened for you? Did you have any success with teh Early Years Alliance communication?

Best wishes, 

Rosie x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)