Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flu Vaccine

Hi I run a small privately owned pre-school, some of my staff have started hinting that they should have the flu vaccine has they are always catching colds this time of year.... and that it should be paid for by me.

Is there a law that states employers should pay for this? or is it up to the individual to pay if they want one?

This could work out to be quite expensive if its down to me to pay!

I would like to hear what you all do or think about this.

Thanks

Maggspp

I think that's a bit cheeky! If they feel they need the vaccine (and in my opinion you don't need it if you're not in an 'at risk' group) then they should pay for it themselves. If they're at risk, it's free anyway! As Rebecca says, it certainly won't protect them from the common cold.

• Like 1

My own feeling is that if they want one, they should have one.......and they should pay for it. I am in one of the 'at risk' groups, but opt out of having it, but I wouldn't suggest others shouldn't have it if they feel the need. Tell them Sainsbury's and most pharmacies do them quite cheaply.

• Like 1

I agree with the others - if they are 'at risk' they will be offered free.

I'd also be reminding them about their own personal hygiene control measures if they are 'always getting colds' this time of year :lol:

Not being funny, but most of us that work in early years do seem to build up quiet a healthy immune system ......... plus we always try to insure that when illness strikes ... it's always during the holidays. :huh: :angry:

• Like 4

I have mine every year as I'm in an at risk group also, along with pneumonia. It isn't expensive, currently Asda is £5 so they can pay for themselves, and if I didn't get it free, I'd still get one personally.

Besides it doesn't protect you from colds.

• Like 1

Flu vaccine will do nothing for a cold, so their argument about needing it is immaterial, if they want it they should pay,it is not costly. I used to pay each year as husband is in the vulnerable group and I wanted to reduce the risk at home. Get it free now but would still pay if not.

Its personal choice, not an essential unless at risk..

• Like 1

magspp - they are taking the pi mick - as other have said a flu shot won't protect from colds.......

I always have one - I'm not eligible for a freebie so will pay as usual - will leave it til the last Friday before half-term just in case there is a 'reaction' - hopefully not though! :1b

Tell them 'get thee to Asda'! ;)

• Like 2

I get one every year at Asda. Only usually about £7! I then suggest it to staff, but I don't pay for it. Likewise, I promote taking effervescent Vic C with Zinc and liquid echinacea during winter months.

Once you have had the flu (NOT a cold) you will realise £7 is well worth it!!!

• Like 3

Once you have had the flu (NOT a cold) you will realise £7 is well worth it!!!

​Yes but equally once you have had flu, you will realise that it is very different to a cold! I have a member of staff who regularly contracts 'flu' every winter, manages to come into work as well. It's only when someone says 'you wouldn't be able to get out of bed with flu' that it then becomes flu like symptoms rather than flu. Drives me mad!

• Like 1

You wanna try getting man flu - then £700 is worth it, never mind £7! I'm joking of course, before anybody takes offense. :P

On a serious note, these flu jabs can really help people and potentially save lives. Me personally, I wouldn't have one because I feel a well balanced diet and a bit of exercise can help to prevent the flu. I understand this isn't always possible.

• Like 1

Just had an email from EY team "Flu Vaccination for 2 year old's plus, free from your GP"

I declined to give my children the flu vaccination only last month when school sent us a letter. It was the nasal spray vaccine to make it worse. Have these even been tested? Until now!! Guinea Pigs come to mind!

http://www.ageofautism.com/2014/08/nasal-flu-vaccine-british-hazards.html

Just passing on one side of this flu vaccine debate.. and the more cautious side of course, we are talking about young children here after all!

So guess what is going to happen now? My Un-vaccinated children are going to be mixing with children who have been given the flu! Great stuff! Would I have been wiser to allow my children to be vaccinated? Do I trust these vaccinations won't do any kind of long term damage to either my children or my children's children in the future? Who knows what is being administered into my children?!!!

Sorry for the rant! It's been a while though. /rant

• Like 1

Me personally, I wouldn't have one because I feel a well balanced diet and a bit of exercise can help to prevent the flu.

I do eat a balanced diet and take exercise! :rolleyes: ::1a

I have a husband who is, sadly, in a 'vulnerable' position health-wise - therefore I pay for a flu jab to protect him..........further to this I am an owner/manager I really can't be off sick with flu (or anything else).......

Just out of interest I ran the idea of paying for my staff to be vaccinated by them this morning - they thought it an absolute 'cheek' that anyone should suggest this to their manager ;) :lol:

• Like 2

Yes, I guess in some circumstances the flu jab appears to be a solution. I am sure it works for many people but myself the risk of injecting children with it is greater than actually them getting the flu.. that in fact only kills very few people each year. I do understand how some people are more at risk and therefor I can see the appeal.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies, I did feel that they were taking the pi mick! However I wanted to check that I wasn't being a penny pincer, as you all say a cold is not the Flu and therefore what would be the point of the vaccine. Surprisingly when I suggested that if they were really concerned they should either check to see if they were eligible with their GP or pay for their own, the subject was not mentioned again.....

Looking forward to the winter and all those lovely colds :rolleyes:

Maggie

• Like 2