Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

TBH  anything they say one day, seems to change the next.   Just don't know what to think.     Hard to prepare, but just have very loose ideas to begin with.    I heard one solution which said 2/3 sessions per day for school, with different children attending each session.    O.o  which on the surface sounds a good idea - but in practice very hard to carry out for teachers and parents.

I think the Education Sec said today that they really had no fast idea of when schools would be able to return, they are watching other countries and seeing how they are making it work :o

• Like 1

I'm finding making any sort of plans impossible at the moment. I had furloughed all my staff (except me & Dep) nearly had a fit when I saw the guidance on Friday- but have calmed down now and yes, it makes sense but boy- are we going to start September short of money. 

I'm guessing if we go back before the end of term (my goodness was so mad when I saw all that stuff from the press- they really DO like to invent things) it will be similar to

how we were when we closed. Much less toys out- mainly plastic stuff so it can be washed regularly. No parents or visitors- just children & staff in. However how this would work in September for new children I cant imagine- that's if we still have to do that- that's if we have any new children. Obviously cant be doing visits over the next few months. 

One thing I do know- I'm not going back unless it's safe to do so and safe for the children. I'm also not having a preschool full of adults wearing masks or being expected to keep the children apart. I suppose we could have smaller groups in for shorter sessions but that's not going to help kick start the economy by getting people back to work. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lynned55 said:

I'm finding making any sort of plans impossible at the moment. I had furloughed all my staff (except me & Dep) nearly had a fit when I saw the guidance on Friday- but have calmed down now and yes, it makes sense but boy- are we going to start September short of money. 

I'm guessing if we go back before the end of term (my goodness was so mad when I saw all that stuff from the press- they really DO like to invent things) it will be similar to

how we were when we closed. Much less toys out- mainly plastic stuff so it can be washed regularly. No parents or visitors- just children & staff in. However how this would work in September for new children I cant imagine- that's if we still have to do that- that's if we have any new children. Obviously cant be doing visits over the next few months. 

One thing I do know- I'm not going back unless it's safe to do so and safe for the children. I'm also not having a preschool full of adults wearing masks or being expected to keep the children apart. I suppose we could have smaller groups in for shorter sessions but that's not going to help kick start the economy by getting people back to work. 

I think we may be going back sooner than we think :( I think the whole turnabout re JRS etc has been fuelled by the government making it harder for settings to stay closed.

12 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I think we may be going back sooner than we think :( I think the whole turnabout re JRS etc has been fuelled by the government making it harder for settings to stay closed.

Do yo think so- do hope not, as much as I want to get back to normal- I also think if we go back too early then what's the point in the last five weeks. I'm hoping for after the May half term. 1st June would be good.

40 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I really, really hope not - how would that be safe for anyone :(

Obviously all playing on my mind, I dreamt last night that someone from our village (primary school teacher) asked me if she could take over my pre-school, I answered "yes, as long as you keep my staff it's all yours" 

When is 'sooner than we think' next few weeks?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I really, really hope not - how would that be safe for anyone :(

Obviously all playing on my mind, I dreamt last night that someone from our village (primary school teacher) asked me if she could take over my pre-school, I answered "yes, as long as you keep my staff it's all yours" 

When is 'sooner than we think' next few weeks?

Not sure, I just get a feeling it will happen quite quickly/suddenly :(. Personally much as I'd like to see the children/families again, I feel for our age group it should be September.    Our set-ups are not like many of our European counterparts, most of those I'm sure are purpose built kindergarten buildings.

29 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Not sure, I just get a feeling it will happen quite quickly/suddenly :(. Personally much as I'd like to see the children/families again, I feel for our age group it should be September.    Our set-ups are not like many of our European counterparts, most of those I'm sure are purpose built kindergarten buildings.

I will be extremely hacked off if we get two days notice like we did for closure :(

I miss the children, I miss my little staff team, I am so sad that we won't get to do all of the transition 'stuff' that we usually do - even if we are back in June, I am fairly sure that we won't be welcome at our local Primary School for visits (I wouldn't be prepared to go even if we were welcome)

Have we met Raab's '5 points' - I don't think so......

It's so stressful - just wish they would give some idea of their 'exit strategy' - not dates, just order would be helpful

In conversation with my brother this morning I asked him what he thought would happen next - he said "oh schools opening for sure":o

I feel so overwhelmed by all this at the moment. Trying to understand the furlough is just making me so anxious, I haven’t even tried to access the site or anything yet. I have had one contact with the chairperson and now feel totally abandoned and lost. 
I just cannot see how on earth we can return safely. I for one am hoping it is much later rather than sooner.  

• Like 1

I came across a traffic light system yesterday on metro news it suggested nurseries and primary school could open on the 11th May with another group of businessess openig 25th May and the bigger things opening 1st July. However it also mentioned that those on the vulnerable list would be under the red system for much longer. No evidence of course that this is true but interesting that someone had worked this out!

23 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I came across a traffic light system yesterday on metro news it suggested nurseries and primary school could open on the 11th May with another group of businessess openig 25th May and the bigger things opening 1st July. However it also mentioned that those on the vulnerable list would be under the red system for much longer. No evidence of course that this is true but interesting that someone had worked this out!

If it's the one I saw at weekend  (well I think it was the weekend but not sure anymore, even the government think we don't deserve weekend - re Friday night bombshell)

That evening Gove categorically stated  this would not be happing. (but I guess that means nothing either really)

13 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I will be extremely hacked off if we get two days notice like we did for closure :(

I miss the children, I miss my little staff team, I am so sad that we won't get to do all of the transition 'stuff' that we usually do - even if we are back in June, I am fairly sure that we won't be welcome at our local Primary School for visits (I wouldn't be prepared to go even if we were welcome)

Have we met Raab's '5 points' - I don't think so......

It's so stressful - just wish they would give some idea of their 'exit strategy' - not dates, just order would be helpful

In conversation with my brother this morning I asked him what he thought would happen next - he said "oh schools opening for sure":o

Sunnyday I know you're of a certain age like me.

Not sure about you, but I'm beginning to take this personally ...

1st- they took our pensions,

2nd- they lay strict restrictions on the funding - they seem to have forgotten our fixed costs rents etc

3rd- On the 21st the department of education announces LA can redirect funding if they need to.

With regards to point three, I think (I bl**dy hope!) they are actually refuring to the LAs own training pot of money.

Quite honestly I'm about  ready to walk away from all this, I've had enough mentally- worrying about children and staff for very little personal reward (well apart from happy staff and children)... maybe I'll just retire then, after all I am of a certain age  - no wait! I can't -they too that option from me first!!!

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

3rd- On the 21st the department of education announces LA can redirect funding if they need to.

I didn't know about that - at this rate there will not be any EY settings for children to return to :(

Wonder what (if anything) will come out of today's PMQs - I think Raab is in the hot seat

Did anyone catch any of the live broadcast from Parliament yesterday - they have little stickers on the back of the benches to indicate where they can and cannot sit - they couldn't even manage to get that right - hardly fills one with confidence  

Edited by sunnyday
feels? fills even!

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I didn't know about that - at this rate there will not be any EY settings for children to return to :(

Wonder what (if anything) will come out of today's PMQs - I think Raab is in the hot seat

Did anyone catch any of the live broadcast from Parliament yesterday - they have little stickers on the back of the benches to indicate where they can and cannot sit - they couldn't even manage to get that right - hardly feels one with confidence  

Oh my days!  

14 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures?fbclid=IwAR3VVy4Hvz_lEq-fDSe7R8UppdgZZlQZeB-zoibsQui08dznlFNOQaHkgvE#funding

If you scroll down it's under the heading "Funding" :(   As I say a really hope it means to LA part of funding rather than the FEEE.

I shouldn't really add this to the Friday Fun Thread. 

Just now, louby loo said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures?fbclid=IwAR3VVy4Hvz_lEq-fDSe7R8UppdgZZlQZeB-zoibsQui08dznlFNOQaHkgvE#funding

If you scroll down it's under the heading "Funding" :(   As I say a really hope it means to LA part of funding rather than the FEEE.

I shouldn't really add this to the Friday Fun Thread. 

I think we just use this thread to say anything that's on our minds - no problem with that :)

Funding

What will happen to funding for free childcare places during this period of disruption?

On 17 March 2020, the Chancellor confirmed the government would continue to pay local authorities for free early years entitlement places for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds.

We will be updating this guidance to set out how local authorities can use their free entitlement funding differently, redistributing it – in exceptional cases and in a clearly focussed and targeted way – in order to secure childcare for the children of critical workers and for vulnerable children, where their usual arrangements are no longer possible.

Local Authorities will need to ensure there are sufficient childcare places at this time, and to redistribute funding across settings accordingly. This ability to redistribute will enable local authorities to ensure that critical workers, including NHS staff, are able to access childcare where they need it. Any setting which sees their early entitlement funding reduced in order to fund childcare places elsewhere will be able to increase the proportion of their salary bill eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in line with the Department’s guidance on access to the scheme.”

1 minute ago, sunnyday said:

Funding

What will happen to funding for free childcare places during this period of disruption?

On 17 March 2020, the Chancellor confirmed the government would continue to pay local authorities for free early years entitlement places for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds.

We will be updating this guidance to set out how local authorities can use their free entitlement funding differently, redistributing it – in exceptional cases and in a clearly focussed and targeted way – in order to secure childcare for the children of critical workers and for vulnerable children, where their usual arrangements are no longer possible.

Local Authorities will need to ensure there are sufficient childcare places at this time, and to redistribute funding across settings accordingly. This ability to redistribute will enable local authorities to ensure that critical workers, including NHS staff, are able to access childcare where they need it. Any setting which sees their early entitlement funding reduced in order to fund childcare places elsewhere will be able to increase the proportion of their salary bill eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in line with the Department’s guidance on access to the scheme.”

The top of the document is dated: 21 April 2020

It's this bit that slightly worries me after last week.  I think it might mean we could lose funding but go back to needing to furloughing staff :/

I'm afraid I am!  You're all getting a taste of retirement at the moment.    I just hope that all the children will look back on this time without too much sadness.  As the time that they spent a summer with both Mum and Dad.  That there was reading and laughter, fun and games.    I don't think there had ever been a time when so many children have had access to both parents for so long, intensively.  Even in the Great Depression when so many were out of work, the children would have been outside from dawn to dusk, most likely.   Strange times.  Stay safe, all my forum buddies! 

• Like 5

I love sewing Bee, as a school child I had such a rough time with needlework classes - spent a lot of time being sent out! for misbehaviour.  As a young adult I got to grips with it and made several outfits, as a young mum I didn't have time but in the last year the sewing machine has been out again and I have dabbled, my eldest grand daughter loves sewing and although I still don't really see myself as a sewer I am happy to fuel her enthusiasm as it really is a lovely craft to have under your belt.    What they create on this programme is amazing sometimes.   Joe Lycett has made a huge difference to the feel of it.

• Like 2

Maybe there is hope for me yet then on the sewing front - was definitely school that made me believe I 'can't do it' - spent one entire school year working on the same padded coat hanger :ph34r: xD

Seriously now can it really be 5 weeks since we closed our doors...….

This week started 'badly' for me - I had managed to get myself so 'wound up' by this blessed furloughing business - I have decided to not even go down that route - only one funded child in February - felt like far too much hassle for very little result

Since then I have given myself a really good talking to

Worried about funding - meh nothing I can do about it

Worried about having to return in June - as above

Worried about whether not we will have any of our proposed new starters in September - as above

I have so much to be grateful for - a comfortable home with a large garden and small field beyond, we are well (touch wood) our family are well (touch wood), the sun is shining. Life has settled into a strange new routine, not getting a lot done but hey 'there's always tomorrow'! Walking round the little field everyday (PB today, 10 laps which, I think equates to roughly two miles and approx. 5000 steps), potter about in the house and garden (being careful not to break into a sweatxD), lunch, catch the news, bit more pottering, some reading....you get the idea

Think I will just leave this here:

'Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference' 

• Like 7