Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bake Off 2016

Froglet

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a go at the Viennese whirls - these things are harder than they look! My hand aches from the piping and I suffered a Bake Off type disaster in that I must have accidentally knocked the temperature dial on the oven and turned it right down and when I went to get them out they weren't cooked!

post-26037-0-42679400-1474806950_thumb.jpg

I learned a few things (beside triple checking the overn temperature!). The importance of having the right equipment - I don't have a huge range of piping bags and nozzles so I made do. They worked but would have looked better if I had other stuff. The importance of position in the oven - I had one tray near the top and one in the middle, the top one is less cooked and although they appear fine they are crumbling at a touch.

Lastly, just how good those bakers in the tent are - it's sometimes easy to sit at home thinking 'What are you doing?!' but having a go on my own with no time pressure and a fully detailed recipe and I couldn't do it as well as they did!

• Like 5

They look scrummy, and now I am again thinking how long since I had those... (sideways pictures again)

Watching lots of bits about who will replace Mary. I saw one with Davina Mcall, quite why she should be considered is anyone's guess, but she was so funny when asked , replying not sure how that would work, as she has a sugar free diet and would have to decline tasting everything with sugar in it.. Another when Jamie Oliver said it would give him such street cred with his children, but has no time to do it.

Any speculations/ ideas.. James Martin has done the Junior Bake off , he was quite good on that- or how about a guest each week to set a challenge, could be an interesting twist.

Edited by Inge

They look scrummy, and now I am again thinking how long since I had those... (sideways pictures again)

I know - no idea how or why! At least you get the general idea when it's a cake photo.

Any speculations/ ideas.. James Martin has done the Junior Bake off , he was quite good on that- or how about a guest each week to set a challenge, could be an interesting twist.

I've no real idea and think it depends on what kind of 'feel' they want. I think someone who knows baking would be good - I suspect that if someone like me were to do it it would all taste amazing! I also think that someone who could balance out Paul's 'stern' demeanour would be good. In some ways I think they have to go for something completely different but I don't know. The fact that it will be missing for a year is probably a good think to let people get a bit more used to the idea!

• Like 1

Well rumours abound with the New Bake Off show, I heard recently they were replacing Mel & Sue with Jo Brand and that the BBC were going to bring out a new cookery/bakery programme with M& S and MB before C4 get their one up and running.

Must say I was sent a really funny spoof GBBO which is on Facebook but it was called The Great British P*ss Up

• Like 1

Yes I did too Cait. He's self assured and has a keen sense of humour and used to the camera.

And I'm sure there could be some M&M jokes (Mary and Michelle). He would also have a knowledge of European cooking that Paul perhaps lacks - I always felt that he is only knowledgeable about bread.

• Like 1

He has done this sort of thing before, think it was Professional Masterchef and got dropped from it because he did the advert for potatoes.. I liked him, he was very fair and constructive with his feedback. would make a good choice.. maybe put Paul in his place a bit as he is far more rounded in his cooking, not just bread and pastry.

Have a really lovely evening zigzag. I hope like my family you are all able to talk and laugh about all the good times tonight.

We talk about her all the time, be weird not to. Just never know on days like today and special days such as birthdays and Christmas just what the best thing to do for my Mum is? So I always mark the day, even just having a meal and raising a toast or buying Mum some flowers etc.

• Like 2

Am I alone in thinking it's gone a 'bit orf' this year? too many 'disasters' for my liking - I want to be full of awe when watching - perhaps the 'beeb' have got 'rid' just at the right time :blink:

Anyone got a favourite baker? I really liked Val but she 'bit the dust' - I do like Selasi (sp) - wouldn't mind the 'lipstick lady' (that's what we call her) if only she would stop 'pulling faces'

• Like 3

Over all I like Benjamina, and yes perhaps they are all being pressed a little too much and that's what's causing errors, but some, like lipstick lady, are complete over achievers who put added pressure on themselves, sorry to see Andrew(?) go this week, I rather liked his bakes and he seemed a nice lad.

Saw talk of last year's winner, Nadiya in contention to go with Paul to C4