Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2014 registration - have you had yours yet?

MarshaD

I was registered in April 2014 and we were inspected in December. I recently needed to phone Ofsted about another issue and when in general chat with a person from their compliance section, they said that they were now nearly caught up with inspections and were trying to get everyone done before the start of the new cycle which starts in September. So it is possible you could get it soon but of course never any guarantees! Just try and be on top of paperwork, I recommend you get a folder together which has samples and copies of everything you would like to show the inspector, just to prompt you to talk about them. I had started to do this but not completed when they came and I started to fluster and didn't sell myself very well. There were plenty of things to shout about and praise ourselves but I missed talking about them. I now have copies of everything, just as examples, so that hopefully if I fluster again next time, I can look at the file and it will remind me what to talk about to show the good things. Good luck when they visit.

• Like 2

If you’re on the Early Years Register, you’ll usually be inspected within the first 30 months of registration and then at least once in every inspection cycle.

The current Early Years inspection cycle finishes on 31 July 2016.

Clear?????.not really but to be honest i'd be ready for an inspection...we had ours within 7 months of moving and it does say within the first 30 months

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. Happy enough with the outcome but not the experience. Never had an inspection like it, put everyone on edge (more so than would normally happen) and had own agenda. Was not given the chance to discuss practice, initiatives, achievements, partnerships etc and things like staff files, accident books and safeguarding referrals were not mentioned. Didn’t engage or communicate with the children when they approached her (not even a smile). Feeling rather demoralised!

Edited by olly500
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear you had such a miserable experience of it - But since you're happy enough with the outcome, just focus on that. And the fact that it should be while before you have to go through it again

• Like 1

Could I please ask a question? Is it right, that if you are setting up as a childminder (not me, rhetorical question) you only get one attempt with Ofsted? If they come on their visit and say 'No' for whatever reason, you don't get another chance, not even if you rectify whatever they felt was wrong? Overheard conversation.

I don't know the answer but I would've thought it depended on why they said 'no'. If it was because the person is disqualified or something like that, then I guess it's a permanent no. But otherwise I would've expected it to be no until you've done ... whatever.

Could I please ask a question? Is it right, that if you are setting up as a childminder (not me, rhetorical question) you only get one attempt with Ofsted? If they come on their visit and say 'No' for whatever reason, you don't get another chance, not even if you rectify whatever they felt was wrong? Overheard conversation.

Not heard anything like this but I can imagine there would be reasons that would make a home unsuitable for caring for children that just couldn't be put right. Neighbours, unsuitable adults living in the home, space availability, access. I'll ask on a specific CM forum. H

• Like 1

I don't know the answer but I would've thought it depended on why they said 'no'. If it was because the person is disqualified or something like that, then I guess it's a permanent no. But otherwise I would've expected it to be no until you've done ... whatever.

That's what I would have thought too, but the person was quite insistent that any reason for a 'no' meant that that was it.

• Like 1

If you are refused registration by an inspector and any appeal you make is also unsuccessful then it is correct that you cannot reapply - see paragraph 102. However, if during the registration visit it becomes clear to you (as the person trying to be registered) that you are not going to be granted registration because there is something missing (e.g. a document) / not right with the premises etc then you can withdraw your application - while you fix it and then reapply when the right things are in place. This is true of all EY settings, not just childminders. There is no problem with withdrawing and reapplying.

The registration doc is here. If you look from pages 21-23.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...