Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Victoria Derbyshire 30 hours funding

sunnyday

No I haven't been sitting around watching daytime TV....a chance would be a fine thing! ::1a

Set my sky box to record this today as I knew they would be discussing plans for 30 hours - was actually very good - an accurate description of the problems for providers......

• Like 2

Ooh, shame I missed it! Is it going to be on one of the catchup channels?

Don't know - would be worth a look - I liked the 'tone' makes a nice change for the subject to be approached with the emphasis on how difficult this will be for providers to implement.......and what the possible effects would be.....

:huh: I am having very cold feet.

I do not understand why we cannot go on strike? Why all other sectors can but we cannot?

Why Local Authorities take up to 30% of our funding? "We will give you some money but ... you can spend them only on the furniture we supply" or "...only on the training we provide" or something similar and in most cases the money are going back to the authority. :ph34r:

Thanks for the link. The first bit was more informative than the second bit, which could have been very greatly improved by having some input from the comments on here!

• Like 1

:huh: I am having very cold feet.

I do not understand why we cannot go on strike? Why all other sectors can but we cannot?

Why Local Authorities take up to 30% of our funding? "We will give you some money but ... you can spend them only on the furniture we supply" or "...only on the training we provide" or something similar and in most cases the money are going back to the authority. :ph34r:

Nobody has ever said we "cannot strike", but it goes against a lot of what we stand for in the profession. Plus, many of us could not do without the income - it would quite literally financially ruin some groups to strike for any length of time that would actually make the public/authorities sit up and say - hey what's going on here!! Look at the Junior Doctors - is striking really making a government listen properly to them? How much public sympathy do the Junior Doctors really have?

I think what pre-schools and nurseries should do is BOYCOTT this government initiative. but that does require the whole network to work together - we are not a very joined up service however.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 8

Thanks for the link. The first bit was more informative than the second bit, which could have been very greatly improved by having some input from the comments on here!

Ah - there was a 'second bit' - I didn't see that! :blink: ::1a

• Like 1

What shouldn't have "amazed" me was the fact that because some nurseries had offered to trial the 30 hours the government think it's a popular initiative and that we all want it really, that they make that assumption is absurd, and somehow by, as usual, saying that we have one of the most expensive child care systems in the world doesn't help our cause - rarely, although V.D. ( :blink: :blink: ) did touch on it, do they say, that ours is one of the best because we have a quality service over other countries, and quality needs to be paid for.

Loved the timetable bit at the top of the programme, explaining how us naughty nurseries make the under 3's pay for the shortfall.

sorry my likes aren't working!

Good link!

What I have to say is that much more needs to be said about the LEA's cut from the budgeted amount. I begin to wonder whether our MP's actually realise that our money is top sliced and how much we actually get.

I have a huge problem with the way our LEA does this.

We are given a base rate and then are given additional amounts for various things (qualifications etc) this seems to change in every LEA.

HOWEVER what they are actually doing is top slicing twice...we get a reduced amount and then they reduce it again...do they think we are really stupid? and we cant work this out just because they call it an addition!!!!!

• Like 4

I think what pre-schools and nurseries should do is BOYCOTT this government initiative. but that does require the whole network to work together - we are not a very joined up service however.

:( very true.

I do not understand why in this country it is paid for eligible child and not salary to Early Years practitioners, plus rent, bills and a bit extra for craft material and other resources. In this case there will not be inconsistency in funding and if staff are paid according to their qualification then they will have a drive to develop professionally. My staff do not want to do Level 4 as they said it would not help them to find a better job :-(

• Like 2

Well I suppose this has something to do with the way it was introduced some 20 years ago. In my humble opinion, it was a vote catcher by the then Labour Government, it was not introduced because the State wanted State funded childcare as in other European countries. At first only children who were 4 qualified, much as now it is 3, it was therefore for some children their last term at pre-school before any kind of assistance was given to parents, we had always just paid for our pre-schools and they were of course, either privately run or charity run and probably far more of them.

Once the Government became involved, then all kinds of things changed and year on year rules and regulations have been heaped upon us, but very little in terms of money! but all of the risk. I doubt there is one among us who doesn't believe that there should be some assistance with nursery fees, it has been a good leveller for some families and more children attending, but as ever Governments just under fund each end of society - I think care homes and nursing homes are also under the cosh by what the government seems to think is proper funding for the elderly too.

• Like 5

Absolutely agree on all counts there.....

Not only a 'vote catcher' but it was an attractive proposition for providers too as we started off on a very good level of funding therefore we were 'quids in'.......but sadly this has all changed now - funding is woefully inadequate - well you don't need me to tell you that :ph34r:

• Like 5

Neil Leitch, chief executive of the PLA (who featured in the Victoria Derbyshire programme) has written in Nursery World today that the DfE's 'Review of childcare costs: the analytical report' is not based on available data. The government report claims that it is 'robust' and based on a 'sound evidence base'. However, when PLA requested a copy of the Deloitte research, upon which the review is based - the DfE responded claiming that 'it does not hold this information'.

You can read Neil Leitch's opinion piece in Nursery World here

• Like 1

Ho hum. So where did they get their figures? Best ask the shadow cabinet where they got theirs for their planned 25 hr funding then!

.....from a Lucky Dip at the Cabinet Christmas Party???

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)