Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Painting overalls

I bought a load of these last year, they were cheaper then though......they are like a nylon style material and regularly go in my washing machine - very impressed with them :) (They sell different sizes and also red too :) )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Childrens-Kids-Waterproof-Apron-Painting-Smock-Baking-Craft-Art-Blue-Age-2-4-/261830635769?hash=item3cf65270f9:g:RIwAAOxydlFS3RAx

• Like 1

We use old shirts put on back to front with the collars cut off and the sleeves cut down - primary school age shirts are ideal, teenagers shirts are OK - mens shirts can sometimes require some tieing up at the back - this can be a bit tricky when Ofsted come and hear children saying "Can you tie me up please" though!!

• Like 4

Yes we are finding more and more children don't like wearing aprons - how do people manage this? eg no apron no activity or just let them get on with it and don't worry?

continual to-do with my parents about this.....my stance is that I want the children to do the activity to increase their learning...therefore wearing aprons is secondary. Parents/carers are told that children must wear clothes that they do not mind getting messy(it's in all our info) anybody saying oh little jonny got paint all over his new shirt will be given a stern talking to :lol: most wear the aprons happily within a couple of weeks ;)

• Like 3

What a good idea Sue.

We use armed aprons for painting and water play indoors and tabards for cooking or mud kitchen outside. Our two year olds are mostly terrified by aprons when they start so that can take a bit of encouragement!

I made our water play aprons (they are now over 10 years old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) from old towels which are backed with waterproof fabric so that the towels soak up the water and the waterproof fabric stops the water leaking through to the children's clothes. They have strips of Velcro at the back for ease. For the purists (and much as I shall be voting for the out camp ;-)) - I used French seams as these are very robust !!

• Like 5

How extremely enterprising Sue! What sort of waterproof fabric did you use? The wipeable tablecloth type of thing?

Magnifique! ;)

I think that was the stuff - it was some time ago after all - I am lucky to have a haberdashery close by and I have vague memories of buying it from there at the time.

I think that was the stuff - it was some time ago after all - I am lucky to have a haberdashery close by and I have vague memories of buying it from there at the time.

Dont you just love that word "haberdashery". Brings up so many memories, wool shops, ribbons, bolts of fabric. shame then that I was so useless at sewing. But I do remember french seams needed those on that nightie I made in year 9.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 3

What a brilliant idea!! I find that often with waterproof aprons/tabards the water just runs down them. So......the clothes underneath are dry but bottoms of trousers/socks/shoes end up saturated.

I've given up on buying water play aprons now, I just but buy the plastic shower curtains, cut into tabards and secure with those elastic 's' belts, a curtain costs £3/4 and makes 4, 2 different patterns for 2 different lengths and almost to the floor, what we really need are a bigger version of the plastic baby bibs with catch tray on the bottom :-) Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2