Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

OFSTED, EY2s, Committees and DBS? Where to start?

Afternoon all,

I am currently trying to get everything organised and into place before I go on maternity leave end of May.

However, I must admit I am left feeling completely and utterly baffled by what OFSTED are actually asking for in regards to our Committee. We are a registered charity and have a committee of volunteers in place and have done so for donkeys years.

We have received no communication about the update service and EY2s for our committee members. I am doing my ground work and checking with the committee as to whether they have all completed EY2s but my gut is saying they wouldn't have considering how long they have been in post for. I have also not received any communication regarding the update service. We currently DBS check all staff, volunteers and committee members through Early Years Disclosures.

I completed by EY2 many years ago as manager to be given the right to contact OFSTED and we have our nominated person as one of our committee members.

I am just so confused as to what I should or shouldn't be doing and do not want to be leaving my team vulnerable whilst I am off.

Can anyone shed any light as to exactly what we need to have in place with regards to our committee. I keep reading how others settings have been caught out during their inspections because things were not in place so would really like to remedy this asap.

Sorry for the waffle!!!

It's a nightmare, but if I was you my first action would be for registered person to phone Ofsted and ask them who they have listed as being on your committee. Then from here all those who are not listed yet are on committee complete EY2 process immediately for them all, you may be able to get Ofsted to tell you but they can bloody funny in who they choose to disclose info too.

If an inspection was carried out then you would be in serious trouble, also if Ofsted find out you have members associated with the running and have not EY2'd them they give nice reminders then can take action if you fail to comply.

If people are listed who are no longer involved you need to submit an EY3.

Good luck with it x

• Like 2

The EY3 tells them who has left the association and whom has joined. The Ey2 can be partially filled in and saved until you have obtained the disclosure number and then can be submitted too. Also do make sure they have all signed up for the update service within the timeframe, otherwise you have to start the whole thing again.

1: DBS

2: Update service

3: EY2

4: EY3

Also if they are Directors they must be listed on Companies House before doing the DBS.

I so hope this is correct, as that's how I am led to believe is the process.

• Like 2

No you don't need to notify staff changes anymore.

ey2's for committee have been in place a long time, it's just online only now instead of paper form.

An ey3 isn't a form anymore, you (or the nominated person) just need to email ofsted of the changes.

• Like 1

So just to clarify-(easily confused and loosing the will to live with it all here) Do Committee members have to now sign up for the update service and if so why and is it free?

Yes they do - new committee members as and when they register, and as diesel said, they have 19 days to do this. Existing committee members still have which ever system was in place when they originally registered with ofsted - crb etc and it is Ofsted's responsibility to check their ongoing suitability - I think!

Existing committee members still have which ever system was in place when they originally registered with ofsted - crb etc and it is Ofsted's responsibility to check their ongoing suitability - I think!

Hmmm sorry lsp, this isn't quite true (but there again it could be :wacko: ) my form was returned with one committee member CRB ok but another one it isn't and they've wiped her off the system and have been told we need to get her DBS done PDQ!!

• Like 1

Can I please check whether it is also a requirement for all committee members to have done level 1 safeguarding training? I am about to get cross with my committee for not doing DBS/EY2s and need to know if they also need to do this while I am on a roll!

We've just had a day and a half inspection. We had a RI last March, so we thought this was a follow up but it was a brand new full inspection under the Common Assessment Framework.

TinkThing

I mentioned the fact that a few years ago it was impossible for us to access free training for committee, the inspector didn't mention anything about us needing safeguarding.

The nightmare was surrounding the names Ofsted had as committee members and who we really had, made worse because, of those who were on both lists, I hadnt kept a copy of their CRB/DBS numbers so although they were on the inspectors list as suitable, she is even now fighting with not giving us a RI. One committee member has been trying all day today and part of yesterday to get through on the phone to find out her CRB no. If she can get it tomorrow the RI will be a good!

EY2 needs to be completed for everyone on the committee plus the manager, some of our staff are committee members so they need one too although not if their not on the committee.

The EY2 allows Ofsted to do extra police checks which aren't part of the DBS we were told, but only after I'd had a meltdown at how discriminatory Ofsted is, requiring everything to be done online now.

Committee do have to register for the update service too.

Ofsted only need to be told when a committee member or the manager leave, not bothered about other staff. She also said any time you speak to Ofsted on the phone to email them too. Print any replies and keep them in a folder.

Luckily our inspector was very nice and could see my frustration at the way things are now which is why she's giving us until tomorrow to get the CRB number! One member of committee has come off today because for the 2nd time shes applied for a DBS without going through Ofsteds site.

Making matters worse is the fact I agreed, while drunk, to do Dry January!! That's a warning in itself! :rolleyes:

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

Clicked 'like' Rea but it doesn't really sound like it should be a 'like' it sounds a bit of a nightmare!

Maybe the powers that be need to look into the whole system of 'committee style settings' perhaps they have now become a 'thing of the past'?

Very sad but there doesn't seem to be much help for us anymore

• Like 1

It just goes to show the inconsistences though doesn't it - it's enough to drive us all loopy :wacko: :blink: :P

Our inspector said I could complain and I told her I knew of around 30 other settings country wide who would be happy to join with the complaint. PVI settings are always hit hardest by these kinds of changes

• Like 2

Well we are still thriving in our neck of the woods anyway. It would appear from my meeting today with EYA that we should complete the EY3 first. As this at least notifies Ofsted of any persons leaving your committee/ association. Then the DBS, update service, Ey2 . Apparently this is why a few groups have RI as this was not in place.

I do so wish it was clear and transparent for us to do and in which order, then hopefully people wouldn't have these actions made against them and cause unnecessary stress. :(:(:(

• Like 1

So now I'm confused about the EY2 for managers. I was told (by the nominated person, after she finally got hold of Ofsted) I didn't have to do one, so I haven't, So now I need one?? I am NOT on the committee.

Thanks for the info re the safeguarding. I would think it's probably good practice for at least the chair or nominated individual to do some safeguarding training though, just in case any of my staff had a concern about me (I'm the DSO) and wanted to talk to someone about it before taking it higher?

Well I'm a manager and not on the committee and I haven't done one. I just ensure all staff sign a declaration of any changes notification annually to continue to be suitable to work with children.

We have been here so long we are prehistoric. I'm sorry but I am not updating 14 staff until I'm told I have to legally, and then whose going to pay for it.:(:(:(

• Like 1

So now I'm confused about the EY2 for managers. I was told (by the nominated person, after she finally got hold of Ofsted) I didn't have to do one, so I haven't, So now I need one?? I am NOT on the committee.

Thanks for the info re the safeguarding. I would think it's probably good practice for at least the chair or nominated individual to do some safeguarding training though, just in case any of my staff had a concern about me (I'm the DSO) and wanted to talk to someone about it before taking it higher?

Managers used to be under the checks of Ofsted but that responsibility has been passed to the owner/committee. I was checked by EY2 and kept my police check from 2004 when I took on managers roll at current setting but then it changed (saves Ofsted money again and costs the owner)

If you are manager and on comittee you need EY2

I have a safeguarding comittee member who did online training and then chair has done it too as he is second whistle blowing contact in our procedures. xx

My deputy took on the role of chair of committee for a short time so that we could stay open a couple of years ago and had to have a health check done through GP at a cost of approx £90! She stood down as soon as possible. Really can't understood why a member of staff as chair, needs a health check, but another person doesn't? ?????

I am in the process of doing my Ey2 form as I am nominated person but not on the committee. I have an old CRB... do I need a DBS? So confused with it all. I still haven't returned the registration form as trying to get skeleton committe's DOB. Maybe I should get their disclosure numbers too as I havent got those. I've just submitted CIC forms..... Can't wait to no longer be committee run. Just wish that Ofsted registration form hadn't come along in the midst of all this as it's complicated the CIC process.