Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Totally devestated

Found out today that my sons pre school is closing next week as they couldn't form a committee :(

I was going to attend the meeting this morning but had something crop up that I needed to deal with.

I'm totally devestated for them. It's such a lovely little setting with dedicated staff but they have been troubled for a while, I feel bad I was at the meeting.

Oh that's so sad but I feel like its the way things are now - lots of parents are at work and don't have the time to commit and lets face it, to do a committee job properly it does take commitment.

I started my childcare journey volunteering on the committee and although I'd been a 'general member' for 2 yrs before becoming an officer it was only then that I really understood what committees should be doing (but weren't the manager did most)

Knowing what I know now and just how hard Ofsted are coming down on committees I honestly wouldn't volunteer again - and for that I feel very sad as it's given me such a lot..

Lets hope it's just a wake up call to the parents but if it isn't, I really don't blame the staff at all - a local group closed in summer for exactly the same reasons.

Oh Jester - so sorry to read this.......

Do you think that perhaps this will be a 'wake up call' to parents and that the situation might change if people now come forward - or is it just too late?

I don't know sunnyday. I think it's too late now, it's been known for a while that they have been in trouble. I always felt they didn't sell the fact that they would offer wraparound care for children attending the school nursery in the afternoon.

Oh that's so sad but I feel like its the way things are now - lots of parents are at work and don't have the time to commit and lets face it, to do a committee job properly it does take commitment.

I started my childcare journey volunteering on the committee and although I'd been a 'general member' for 2 yrs before becoming an officer it was only then that I really understood what committees should be doing (but weren't the manager did most)

Knowing what I know now and just how hard Ofsted are coming down on committees I honestly wouldn't volunteer again - and for that I feel very sad as it's given me such a lot..

Lets hope it's just a wake up call to the parents but if it isn't, I really don't blame the staff at all - a local group closed in summer for exactly the same reasons.

It certainly is a sign of the times, Packaways seem to be constantly in danger of closing, for them the RI ofsted didn't help matters and various staff reshuffles etc.

I do hope it is a wake up call, there are many parents who rely on the wraparound aspect who will be disadvantaged and while I am effected too I don't solely rely on the provision for childcare. this hasn't come as a surprise for me at all but it's still a shock and so very sad, I feel for the staff who are lovely dedicated people who genuinely love their jobs and just before Christmas too.

This is really sad - we are nearly in the same position. We have committee members leaving and no one to fill the positions with less than a month until AGM. What are the other options for opening as a charity? So i can take it to our current committee before it's too late!

Oh so sad to hear this. We too are committee run, 4 members in total, if they knew what they were really responsible for, they would run, screaming for the hills! I am also interested in other options for group such as us. Which does not include being taken over by the school!!

• Like 2

If they close down, could they open up again as a non-committee led setting?

I don't know if the option is there? Someone was telling me that if you are in the committee and the business is in debt the committee has to shoulder it.

Jester would you consider opening and/or running it. As Cait said, there are now other options than just committee but still a registered charity???

Unfortunately no, IM not really in the right position at the moment to do that as my son is still in nursery and pre school currently.

This is really sad - we are nearly in the same position. We have committee members leaving and no one to fill the positions with less than a month until AGM. What are the other options for opening as a charity? So i can take it to our current committee before it's too late!

I'm so sorry to hear you are in this position Nyem, I'm not really sure tbh, I know they are a charity anyway but I always thought you had to have a committee to run.

Oh so sad to hear this. We too are committee run, 4 members in total, if they knew what they were really responsible for, they would run, screaming for the hills! I am also interested in other options for group such as us. Which does not include being taken over by the school!!

I was involved in a pre school that was taken over by the school. It wasn't too bad and the school didn't change us but supported us. I think it depends on so many things especially what the school is like as to whether you would go down this route so I understand why you would be reluctant.

I was involved in a pre school that was taken over by the school. It wasn't too bad and the school didn't change us but supported us. I think it depends on so many things especially what the school is like as to whether you would go down this route so I understand why you would be reluctant.

Yes you do need to be a little wary probably about 7/8 yrs ago a few committee run settings moved onto school sites as it seemed the 'grass was greener' they moved their healthy waiting lists and full groups but once everything was settled schools 'took them over' - some are still independent though, suppose it's the luck of the draw

• Like 1

I don't know much about it but have heard of CIO - which I think is Charity Incorporated Organisations. It does involve re-registering with ofsted. I believe you have trustees but they have limited liability? Someone may have knowledge or gone through the process? You remove that mad panic to have so many committee members for AGM. The pre-school learning alliance may have info?

• Like 2

Thank you Manor, I am battling the process to change our setting. It has to be the way forward for committee run settings but it seems a very complicated process.

Jester I am sorry to hear about your problems, we could very well be in the same situation if I don't manage to sort an alternative.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)