Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childcare bill Ammendments

Rea

This bit makes interesting reading from the document flagged up by Rea................

Page 1, line 10, at end insert—

“( ) “Working parents” means—

(a) parents or a single parent who work a minimum of 8 hours a week
each; or parents or a single parent who do not work for a minimum of 8
hours a week each but meet the requirements listed below—

(i) a parent on a zero hours or other flexible working contract;

(ii) a parent who is not in work but is receiving work-related
training;

(iii) a parent who is the main carer for a family member;

(iv) a parent whose contract has unexpectedly ended through
no fault of their own; or

(v) a parent who engages regularly in voluntary work.”

Soooooooooooo ... possibly not just working parents anymore??????? To quote Sunnyday - losing the will and give me strength!

Edited by lsp
  • Like 3

Thanks for the link Rea

I'm concerned about this clause

“Minimum workforce qualifications

(2) Relevant early years providers must ensure that any person employed to

deliver early education or childcare free of charge under section 7(1) of the

Childcare Act 2006 or section 1(1) of this Act is qualified to, or working

towards, Level 3 or above.

As it contradicts the eyfs - no level 2s or unqualified staff to work with these children then?

And also intrigued as to how they will enforce this clause

“Funding of childcare

For the purposes of discharging the duty imposed by section 1, the

Secretary of State must ensure that—

(a) the level of payment made to any childcare provider by the

Secretary of State for the provision of childcare is paid at a rate

which ensures that the provider does not have to subsidise the cost

of providing free of charge childcare by placing additional charges

on other childcare which they provide;

• Like 2

If the workforce qualification is to be level 3 or working towards, does that not increase the costs to staff these hours.. so the consultation is really not worth the time it took to complete it..

and the last bit about covering the actual cost ..

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2015/10/flagship-childcare-plan-underfunded-%C2%A31bn-ippr-finds

Thanks for the link Rea

“Minimum workforce qualifications

As it contradicts the eyfs - no level 2s or unqualified staff to work with these children then?

“Funding of childcare

Secretary of State must ensure that—

(a) is just laughable - what do they think we have all been doing for the last umpteen years anyway.

and re level of staff, I think that is down to interpretation - I would still consider a level 2 is working their way towards level 3 - they are just waiting for the right time for them personally to start the course.

• Like 3

Does that mean we cannot have any member of staff who is not a Level 3?

That will do for us eventually as we practically never take on a qualified member of staff, we are just able to train them up ourselves and we are not going to invest thousands of pounds training new staff until we are sure it is worth the cost.

And I have one or two members of staff who are not Level 3s and absolutely will not train (have been with us for many years). What happens to them?

Does that mean we cannot have any member of staff who is not a Level 3?

That will do for us eventually as we practically never take on a qualified member of staff, we are just able to train them up ourselves and we are not going to invest thousands of pounds training new staff until we are sure it is worth the cost.

And I have one or two members of staff who are not Level 3s and absolutely will not train (have been with us for many years). What happens to them?

I would'nt worry quite yet Melba. I imagine there will be lots stated and then changed before the new childcare bill is finalised.

I cannot see how they can make sweeping statements and expect all providers to immediately be able to meet their new policy requirements. I do not think they truly understand what they've started here....... They changed the ball park for level 3 and judging by another thread on here people are just not choosing to do it! Of course we want quality staff but I agree with you - in house traing works well if guided by competant Managers/Leaders. I have had 'trained' level 3 students who seriously do not have a clue! With or without GCSEs!

• Like 3

Thanks for the link Rea

Minimum workforce qualifications

Funding of childcare

Secretary of State must ensure that

Where did they get this level 3 from? Could it be from the ofsted report released today that looks at the correlation between ofsted gradings of non Dom settings with qualifications of staff? Interesting to note that the correlation report does not look for "full and relevant" qualifications, rather it includes A levels as level3. Now I know of course that A levels are level 3.....is that what the Lords are looking for via this amendment?

Looks like from my reading that around the qualified workforce issue they are looking at a five year plan to implement it (anyone else having flashbacks to the 'everyone must be level 3 and have an EYP in place by 2015' Sarga?)

Still going ahead with implementation of autumn 17 though! I know of quite a few in our area asked to join pilot scheme and ones I know have refused - gosh it's going so well ?

I have a level two who will probably never attain the GCSEs required. I'm sure there are many others like this. Seems rather punitive.

Yep! I have an unqualified she has been with us over 10years but will not train (reasons of which I understand and support her as well as agree with her choice) she has known for a few years that because of this she will most likely end up without a job. She's one of my best staff too but I had to make her aware of what her choice meant and that she understood the implications of it :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)